Tram to Mahahual problem

Rocket3D

In CM yesterday. The $3 tram

would not stop at Krazy Lobster.

They drove to the far end of town

and when I told him we wanted to go to

Krazy Lobster...he said we had to walk back.

Option is walk out of gate

and hire a cab to Krazy Lobster.

Where else di the tram stop?  Just the first stop?

If other stops, a little research could have told you which stop, street to hop off at. Beach clubs along the main malecon don't have  signs or fronts out on the street. Usually other businesses there.  Just along the beach.

But, yeah agree the driver wasn't very cooperative and probably a bit of a jerk.. 

We have taken cabs a couple of times and they would not stop on the exact intersection that we wanted them to stop on. They preferred to stop on the next intersection where the bar owner would usually give them something for bringing them guests.

It is usually a very short walk back on the malecon to your original destination just saying no to the hustlers trying to get you to go to their place instead.

Everyone should be aware that cab fare has doubled from $2pp to $4pp, at least if there are only 2 of you.  It was $8 for the cab from just outside the gate to Blue Key.  Our driver didn’t give us any problem stopping exactly where we wanted.  $8 back as well.  

On 11/2/2018 at 10:33 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

Everyone should be aware that cab fare has doubled from $2pp to $4pp, at least if there are only 2 of you.  It was $8 for the cab from just outside the gate to Blue Key.  Our driver didn’t give us any problem stopping exactly where we wanted.  $8 back as well.  

Price per taxi is  common in Mexico, surprised it hasn’t been this way before, although $8 seems a lot for that short distance.

We went beyond the malecon last time and i think it was $12.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, cruisehome said:

was not happy at this port at all      would not go to this beach again   as you said the little tram to the beach was dictated by the driver

If you have mobility problems, I agree Costa Maya is not an easy port. It is a long walk from the ships to the exit now the in-port tram is unreliable. It is a long walk to the taxi if you want to be taken to a particular place.

However, if you dont have mobility problems it is easy enough to walk the whole length of the malecon. The  tram usually makes more than one stop so it is never that far from one place to another if you just get off in the vicinity of where you want to be. 

It is a long time since I rode the tram, as I have recently used a taxi, but I am assuming it still drives down the inland road parallel to the malecon?

Not sure from your comment if you had problems in addition to the tram?

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, c-leg5 said:

If you have mobility problems, I agree Costa Maya is not an easy port. It is a long walk from the ships to the exit now the in-port tram is unreliable. It is a long walk to the taxi if you want to be taken to a particular place.

However, if you dont have mobility problems it is easy enough to walk the whole length of the malecon. The  tram usually makes more than one stop so it is never that far from one place to another if you just get off in the vicinity of where you want to be. 

It is a long time since I rode the tram, as I have recently used a taxi, but I am assuming it still drives down the inland road parallel to the malecon?

Not sure from your comment if you had problems in addition to the tram?

2 hours ago, cruisehome said:

Unfortunately your reply doesnt seem to have posted.

i see before you went i replied to your question about how to get to Blue Kay. Interested if that is where you went and if you had problems?

We are thinking if going in February but am still keen to find out current pricing policy.

I am having a hard time with the new boards    we did take the trolly where you pay three dollars a person to that beach that begins with an M   Unfortunately it was not clean and I did get an infection from the water -  something in the water bit me under my bathing suit on top and I am on an antibiotic   gross      I wanted to go to tropicante beach but got confused and followed other people.

I did not like these ports at all and felt it was a very long walk at each port.

The food was very good as well as all the staff   the entertainment could have been better.  The house band was not good at all -  I enjoy listening to good music - which only could be found in the sky lounge when a djay was playing.

carol

2 hours ago, cruisehome said:

I am having a hard time with the new boards    we did take the trolly where you pay three dollars a person to that beach that begins with an M   Unfortunately it was not clean and I did get an infection from the water -  something in the water bit me under my bathing suit on top and I am on an antibiotic   gross      I wanted to go to tropicante beach but got confused and followed other people.

I did not like these ports at all and felt it was a very long walk at each port.

The food was very good as well as all the staff   the entertainment could have been better.  The house band was not good at all -  I enjoy listening to good music - which only could be found in the sky lounge when a djay was playing.

carol

Thanks for reporting back - new website is causing a lot of problems and a lot less traffic.

i see you took the tram to Mahahual, which has endless beach bars along the malecon. I don’t know which one you ended up at  - Blue Kay which you asked about initially is the first place nearest to the port. Tropicante is another beach bar towards the middle and where we are actually booked for December.

unfortunately the whole beach has had problems since February with sargasso which i had heard was just now beginning to improve?  Ut this has affected many places in the Caribbean, not just Costa Maya.

Not sure where else you visited, sorry you didn’t enjoy your choice of ports, better luck next time.

Edited by c-leg5

12 hours ago, chong67 said:

Is the tram like a train thing? 

Its free to Mahahual from the pier?

Sorry didnt see question about price.

The trolley along the pier is free, when it is running (tips).

The shuttle trolley to Mahahual is $3pp - need to take taxi $3pp back.

Hi!!! Just trying to get this right. Please be patient :classic_smile:. Thanks in advance!

1) There "may" be a trolley along the pier to the end of the pier , where there should be a kiosk (free).

2) At this kiosk you can board a shuttle to Mahahual for $3 pp .

3) This shuttle does not return to the Pier-end .

4) Passengers have to take a Taxi back for $3 pp.

a) are these taxis that collect people on the way?

b) can you just flag one down?

Thanks again!

23 minutes ago, muskatnuss said:

Hi!!! Just trying to get this right. Please be patient :classic_smile:. Thanks in advance!

1) There "may" be a trolley along the pier to the end of the pier , where there should be a kiosk (free).

2) At this kiosk you can board a shuttle to Mahahual for $3 pp .

3) This shuttle does not return to the Pier-end .

4) Passengers have to take a Taxi back for $3 pp.

a) are these taxis that collect people on the way?

b) can you just flag one down?

Thanks again!

We were there on Tuesday so I can answer some of your questions. 

1. Currently there is no free pier trolley as they are extending the pier and cement trucks and construction crews are running up and down the pier all day. IMG_5461.JPG

The kiosk for the town trolley is NOT at the end of the pier. You must walk through the port area to get to the kiosk and it's a long walk. You can cut through a store called Pan Dulce (its across from the flamingos) to cut off some distance but even with the cut through my app showed it was one mile from the ship to the kiosk. Taxis are even farther away. 

2. At that kiosk we paid $4 pp for trolley tickets to get to Mahahual. Right across from the kiosk is where you board the trolleys. Know ahead of time where you want to be dropped, specifically which stop. Tell the men there where you want to go. Tell them more than once. Tell the driver, too. We were going to Tropicante so they wound up putting us on a different trolley so we didn't have to walk any extra. 

3. The shuttle is only one way into town. It does not bring guests back to the port. 

4. Taxi prices have increased. You will pay $8 per taxi now. ($4 pp if there are two of you).

a. There are taxis everywhere to bring you back. 

Do you have plans on where you are going for the day? Like I wrote on my blog post for the day: 

With the boom of the cruise port, there has also been a boom in the number of hawkers and scammers once you get into the town of Mahahual. You will find them everywhere, trying to direct you to their establishment. Don’t follow them and don’t listen to them. Heck, don’t even make eye contact with them. This is a port where once you leave the secure area you have to know where you want to go. While we haven’t found it unsafe in town, we do know others who have felt taken advantage of by them.So we always tell the trolley driver more than once we are going to Tropicante. So far, we’ve had good luck. An American runs Tropicante and so far we’ve had good luck there as well. (Do contact him ahead of time - he'll reserve you a table or loungers.) The servers are friendly and take great care of you. The drinks are strong and the food is good.

Here's a pic we took there last week. 

IMG_3831.JPG

Hope my answers were helpful. 

4 hours ago, idahospud said:

We were there on Tuesday so I can answer some of your questions. 

1. Currently there is no free pier trolley as they are extending the pier and cement trucks and construction crews are running up and down the pier all day. 

The kiosk for the town trolley is NOT at the end of the pier. You must walk through the port area to get to the kiosk and it's a long walk. You can cut through a store called Pan Dulce (its across from the flamingos) to cut off some distance but even with the cut through my app showed it was one mile from the ship to the kiosk. Taxis are even farther away. 

2. At that kiosk we paid $4 pp for trolley tickets to get to Mahahual. Right across from the kiosk is where you board the trolleys. Know ahead of time where you want to be dropped, specifically which stop. Tell the men there where you want to go. Tell them more than once. Tell the driver, too. We were going to Tropicante so they wound up putting us on a different trolley so we didn't have to walk any extra. 

3. The shuttle is only one way into town. It does not bring guests back to the port. 

4. Taxi prices have increased. You will pay $8 per taxi now. ($4 pp if there are two of you).

a. There are taxis everywhere to bring you back. 

Hope my answers were helpful. 

Thanks we are trying Tropicante for our next visit. I didnt know they had different shuttles for town. - are you sure the other shuttle wasnt just going to the waterpark and back?

i didnt know the shuttle fare had increased as well as the taxi.

sounds like the expansion at the dock is well underway?

Edited by c-leg5

I didnt know they had different shuttles for town. - are you sure the other shuttle wasnt just going to the waterpark and back?

They are all the same shuttle, but they said the one we were going to get on was only going to the end of town. I'm wondering if they've cut out the extra stops and have all the hawkers at the end stop now. We didn't go that far to find out. 

Pier is getting so much longer. My only thought was ugh

Edited by idahospud

Thank you for your answer!!! I am logged on to CC, but I keep getting in a ring of log-in and log out and can't get much further. I took the link from the notification email.

I would have answered earlier. I will read your answer again and again and again and hope to enjoy my stay.

will get back to you.

Oh, bad news for such a small port! Too many ships at one time!!! I agree.....UGH!!!

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, carbon said:

how long is walk from pier to town?  we like to walk

1.5 miles to the beginning of the malecon according to Google maps. Malecon is just over 1 mile long.

You can do a virtual walk for much of it.

Yes, its about that long.  We did the walking in Dec 2018.  You will see people walking back and forth in between the tree trail with road on either side.

Or you can take the tramp from the port to town for $2 per person and walk back.