Dominica Since Celebrity's Return

Luvcrusn

I have posted on the Dominica board looking for information about the island's recovery since hurricane Maria last year but there's been little information. Since X has returned to the island last week, I'm assuming it is sufficient for the return of cruise ships (X returned several months after some other lines), but am looking for information from fellow X cruisers about any experience they've had visiting the island. Are beaches recovered? How about the stores, restaurants and hotels? What is the current state of infrastructure (roads, water, electricity, internet)? Are many of the residents still out of their homes or have many returned. I've also checked Trip Advisor. Thanks in advance.

We just got back from the 10/27 Summit sailing.  Dominica is starting to return to its original beauty.  A lot of damage is still evident and a lot of the sites seen in the past have been destroyed or changed forever but the island is still beautiful and the people are still so nice and happy to see cruise ship passengers.  Mero beach (black sand) is fine, emerald pools has changed a lot due to the destruction but you can still get to the waterfalls.  Screws spa is gone, but there is another hot pools place that is great.  Trying to find the name.  June is a great lady who runs it and she is so nice.  Everyone on the ship I spoke to seemed to enjoyed Dominica-please get off the ship and see the island. Pepper from Pepper tours took us around to all the sites and we had a blast.

• Thanks 1

We'll be there in a couple of weeks and have an island tour booked.  We did a similar tour some years ago so we will be able to compare how things are now to then.  We are going to the waterfalls, etc., as well as Champagne Bay.

We love this island, so glad to be able to tour there again and hopefully help the local economy.

11 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We'll be there in a couple of weeks and have an island tour booked.  We did a similar tour some years ago so we will be able to compare how things are now to then.  We are going to the waterfalls, etc., as well as Champagne Bay.

We love this island, so glad to be able to tour there again and hopefully help the local economy.

Is Champagne Bay the same as the Champagne Reef? If so, we LOVED snorkeling there! I love Dominica, and hope the cruisers will help them recover.

I will report back!

Yes, Champagne Bay is the same as Champagne Reef.  We have snorkeled there before and it was really great.  I hope it has not been affected by the hurricane..  You do need water shoes though; very rocky shoreline.

Eleven days until we leave!

• 3 weeks later...

Back from our cruise.  Dominica was really in better shape than I expected.  Yes, some damage to buildings not yet fixed and some trees affected, but not really that different from other years to look at.

I do know that many people are still without water or power and I am sure there is more damage than is easily noticed from a tour.

Champagne reef had noticeably less coral and sea life than our last time and the infrastructure with the changing rooms, snack bar, etc. is completely gone.  Water shoes needed!  Also for Titou Gorge.

We enjoyed our tour with NIE.  I was slightly injured in Titou Gorge because another guest lost her balance at the 'chute and pushed me into rocks--scraped shin and various small cuts, but nothing really bad--it could have been though.  Trafalger falls area is apparently quite changed with huge rock falls at the base--the falls themselves are actually more visible than before because foliage is gone in front of them.

I do love Dominica and how undeveloped it is compared to many islands.  It is a beautiful island.

• Like 1