New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The front line CSRs don't know what happens on the ship for all issues - the access really depends on the person with the scanner at the door to the venue - most Key customers can probably talk them into letting them get in without a reservation since they have a seat in the Key section of the venue, but some staff may insist on you waiting till they open the doors to everyone - either way, you should get a seat in Key section.

Sounds good to me but just in case we did reserve

1 minute ago, Blondiemomm said:

Are you on Allure? FOR SURE you need the reso. I have a friend who just sailed last week and had Key and she confirmed it also. She even showed me the welcome letter that states you need them.

on the Allure March 10th

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The front line CSRs don't know what happens on the ship for all issues - the access really depends on the person with the scanner at the door to the venue - most Key customers can probably talk them into letting them get in without a reservation since they have a seat in the Key section of the venue, but some staff may insist on you waiting till they open the doors to everyone - either way, you should get a seat in Key section.

So apparently the reason you need the reso is because they know how many rows to reserve for key etc...if you just walk in and sit in key area you are taking up seats from ppl who reserved..I am not completely sure how it works but thats what im told...will find out for sure in 4 days!!!

3 hours ago, rhinomike said:

K. Got it. I found it. Now I see lots of back and forth going on above. I have two cabins. Me and my wife in one and my three college age kids in a connecting room. Do I have to buy it for all of us or just me and my wife?   It will be $1400 for all five of us. Is it worth it?  We are first time RC cruisers. Platinum on Carnival and NCL.  

Just you and wife seeing you have a separate cabin..its everyone over 6 in the SAME stateroom

5 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

So apparently the reason you need the reso is because they know how many rows to reserve for key etc..

I know RCI is really good at dynamic pricing but have a real hard time believing they have dynamic seat bookings - most reports and what I have seen is that they just reserve a whole section. Again, the answer you get today and what you observe next week, can change by next month as they work out the kinks in the system. Also, implementation can vary ship to ship.

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

So apparently the reason you need the reso is because they know how many rows to reserve for key etc...if you just walk in and sit in key area you are taking up seats from ppl who reserved..I am not completely sure how it works but thats what im told...will find out for sure in 4 days!!!

Interested to hear what you find out

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

which is currently not enforced on the web site.

It will be enforced at the Pier..apparently. I am thinking that because this is a new program there will be many trying to be sneaky. So they might be more diligent with checking? 

15 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

Just you and wife seeing you have a separate cabin..its everyone over 6 in the SAME stateroom

But then my college age kds wouldnt have the same perks. Right?  They couldn’t board early with us or sit in the shows with us, etc.....   correct?

I will need to book fr both cabins and all five of us. Total is about $1400. 

8 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

But then my college age kds wouldnt have the same perks. Right?  They couldn’t board early with us or sit in the shows with us, etc.....   correct?

I will need to book fr both cabins and all five of us. Total is about $1400. 

Correct--only those who have purchased the Key can get all the perks.  This is where you have to decide if it's worth it--add up how much wifi and a lunch at chops would be for all of you first.  And then consider your time as far as waiting in line for shows versus knowing you'll have seats held until show time.  It may not 'pencil out' for you, especially if you're not on a ship that has a ton of shows, flowriders and so on.  I have it for Allure, but won't book for Freedom, based on me doing the math and considering how I feel about time in line for each of those cruises, as well as who I'm cruising with.  It's not a one size fits all decision.  And college age or elementary school-- your kids still need to purchase the Key if they are over 6 years old and want the perks.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rockmom said:

Correct--only those who have purchased the Key can get all the perks.  This is where you have to decide if it's worth it--add up how much wifi and a lunch at chops would be for all of you first.  And then consider your time as far as waiting in line for shows versus knowing you'll have seats held until show time.  It may not 'pencil out' for you, especially if you're not on a ship that has a ton of shows, flowriders and so on.  I have it for Allure, but won't book for Freedom, based on me doing the math and considering how I feel about time in line for each of those cruises, as well as who I'm cruising with.  It's not a one size fits all decision.  

Great advice. Thank you. We are on Explorer of the Seas for two weeks in July. So I just bit the bullet and spent $1400 for the five of us to have the key package.  Thank you for the help and advice. 

25 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

This remains a big point of confusion.  The Cruise Planner for my 03/30/2019 Symphony sailing still states in its description of The Key:

• Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard.

BTW: The Key apparently is sold-out for this sailing

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

Great advice. Thank you. We are on Explorer of the Seas for two weeks in July. So I just bit the bullet and spent $1400 for the five of us to have the key package.  Thank you for the help and advice. 

I'd have been on the fence on Explorer, I sailed on her this past summer.  But the people I was with weren't rock climbing, flow riding types (and it was Alaska). It was cheaper for us to do lunch at Chops on our own and buy a wifi 3 device package.  We didn't find getting seats in the theater to be a problem, we got in line 30 minutes prior and had good seats. There are far fewer entertainment choices than an Oasis or Quantum class ship.  We also didn't have much of a wait to board on embarkation.  But your experience might be different depending on your itinerary or if you really need to be off that ship asap when getting into various port stops.  

Edited by rockmom

2 minutes ago, SoCA6ft5 said:

This remains a big point of confusion.  The Cruise Planner for my 03/30/2019 Symphony sailing still states in its description of The Key:

• Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard.

If you are doing The Key on Symphony please comment on your return on the process especially embarkation day. Going this summer and I feel it will be a crazy day during embarkation.

1 minute ago, SoCA6ft5 said:

My cruise planer states the same for my March 10th cruise But I reserved just in case. Will bring a copy with me to see what they will say on board.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marcg125 said:

If you are doing The Key on Symphony please comment on your return on the process especially embarkation day. Going this summer and I feel it will be a crazy day during embarkation.

I will get back to this after the trip.  I had already made reservations prior to The Key being offered, but will see what I can find out.

1 hour ago, Blondiemomm said:

Look forward to your thoughts on the Key after your cruise.

• Like 1

Sailing on Anthem on Jan. 26; initially I booked internet, then received an email regarding The Key.  For five bucks more a day I felt it was worth it for two things - lunch on embarkation day at Chops (avoiding the madness that is Windjammer on embarkation day) and reserved seats for shows.  I definitely will not be using flow rider, rock climbing, etc. so this portion of it has no impact for me.  I do think the debarkation breakfast is a nice addition, although that did not factor into my purchase.  Will post about my feelings about value after the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aespo4 said:

My cruise planer states the same for my March 10th cruise But I reserved just in case. Will bring a copy with me to see what they will say on board.

From what RCCL told me that description saying you don't need reservations applies to some ships and not others...For the Allure it has been confirmed we DO need reservations...

IMG_1119.png

Edited by Blondiemomm
Added pic

26 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

IMG_1119.thumb.png.07c0fe280cbe75a19d1e14503e816396.png

This is the welcome letter on Allure. 

Good thing I made reservations, but would like to know how they will handle the people that did not make reservations and go by what they see in their cruise planner and then find out the shows may be sold out.

3 minutes ago, aespo4 said:

Good thing I made reservations, but would like to know how they will handle the people that did not make reservations and go by what they see in their cruise planner and then find out the shows may be sold out.

Direct them to Guest Services like they do everything else...I am going not try to see if I can get into one of the shows without a reso too see what they tell me..wont be heartbroken if I don't get in..its more out of curiosity..

• Like 1