(sorry morbid) If you take a friend and pay for them and they die who getsthe money?

Mademypoint

So if you pay for a friend to travel with you and you take out insurance and they aren't able to go because they wind up in the hospital and then pass away who gets the refund if you purchase insurance? 

Edited by Mademypoint

If you have insured the amount you paid for your friend and they cannot go on the trip for a covered reason then the insurance will pay you for the amount that is non-refundable, or the amount you insured, whichever is less. Usually. 

Insurance is a complicated product with a lot of variations from policy to policy, but if you buy insurance for this event, it will pay you. 

I just booked travel insurance for me and my DH. It had a place for beneficiaries. I put my Dad for mine and his Mom for his, figuring if we were traveling together it would be a greater chance of dying together.  If, God forbid, my DH died on our upcoming trip, I would assume his Mom would get the money as she’s his beneficiary, even though I paid for the policy.  When buying your policy did it ask you to name beneficiaries?

sorry for your loss!

3 hours ago, Mademypoint said:

That's what I thought but they want to send a check to a stranger.... I was hoping someone might have some personal knowledge as to how to get the money to go to the person who made the payment. 

Thanks.

Are you getting this second or third hand? Or is it you?

The policy dictates who the money goes to. If it doesn't go to you, then you don't get it. Don't spend too much time disputing it, as legal fees would quickly chew up any money you hope to get, and forever tarnish the relationship with your friend's loved ones. 

My question is ... were you and the friend in the same cabin?  Are you still going on the cruise?  If YES ... then there is no insurance refund.  You would have to pay double occupancy to sail alone in the cabin ... 

No cancellation ... no notifying the cruise line ... the friend is a no show.  No details are needed.  Taxes/port fees, etc. will be refunded to the original form of payment. 

While not personal knowledge I would presume the following:

If cancelled outside of the Final Payment and no one goes on the cruise a full refund - no insurance applicable.

If only one person goes - NCL gets the double occupancy fare - insurance reimbursing the beneficiary for the

missing partner (single occupancy) -

If cancelled within the Final Payment period and no one goes a prorated portion of the double occupancy

fare would be paid to the insurance beneficiary - NCL keeping the penalty portion and refunding the non-penalty

portion.

At sailing if one party is a no-show - NCL keeps all the marbles less the Tax and Port Fees and prepaid Shore

Excursions Gratuities of the no show partner - insurance reimbursing for the single occupancy fare half ?

The way the insurance contract is written and NCL's applications may be the same and then a whole nother

interpretation.

It appears that the way the OP has posted this matter that this has happened and there is concern over payment

of the insurance proceeds to whoever is the beneficiary.

Rightfully who ever paid NCL the cruise fare is or should be the recipient of the insurance proceeds or any

NCL refunds - but I won't go any further into the merits of that.

My first cruise several years ago my traveling companion died 5 months before our cruise.

All fares taxes fees were paid in advance and we were in a handicap cabin because of his need.

I was determined to go on that cruise - I did not take out insurance - The handicap cabin was given

back to the cruise line and a request was made for a cabin which I was handsomely upgraded to

a nice balcony for no additional fare increase. Since this was my first cruise and not fully aware

about taking out insurance I bit the bullet and was not concerned about the cruise fare.

If you are in an inside cabin or maybe an ocean view the insurance value of half the cabin maybe

something not worth the grief paperwork forms documentations required to process the claim.

It is your fare money - you make the decision.

If in a mid to top deck balcony cabin maybe a changing factor probably double the amount of these

less expensive cabins. Again your call.

Lastly my sympathies to the OP for your loss of your cruise partner.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:32 AM, CruiseGal999 said:

My question is ... were you and the friend in the same cabin?  Are you still going on the cruise?  If YES ... then there is no insurance refund.  You would have to pay double occupancy to sail alone in the cabin ... 

No cancellation ... no notifying the cruise line ... the friend is a no show.  No details are needed.  Taxes/port fees, etc. will be refunded to the original form of payment. 

The reality is the check was made payable to the estate because the INSURED is the person who the insurance is taken out on NOT the person who pays for the cruise. 

18 minutes ago, Mademypoint said:

The reality is the check was made payable to the estate because the INSURED is the person who the insurance is taken out on NOT the person who pays for the cruise. 

I'm confused by this entire post. I would think whomever the deceased put for their beneficiary would collect the insurance money, if there is any 

2 hours ago, Mademypoint said:

If that is the way the system works - then the OP or person making the payment should or would have to file a claim

against the estate for reimbursement. Hopefully there will be enough funds in the estate settlement that the OP or that

person who PAID for the cruise will get their rightful reimbursement. If not then other higher claims priority against the

estate may trump get any monies. Best solution to this is to have each guest pay their own fare taxes fees etc.

The laws and settlement of an estate can vary from state to state and foreign country if one is involved.

Just don't spend too much money resolving this with the lawyers eating away at the proceeds.

Again sympathies to the OP for the loss of your cruise partner.