Wrongful Cancellation

Aza1972

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the following situation.

Recently two ladies were travelling together. They were cruise buddies (had met online looking for a cruise buddy).

At the last minute ( a Friday afternoon before the Sunday departure ) the lady who was the lead passenger called Royal to cancel the cruise. She claims she only meant to cancel herself and not the other passenger (not sure how true that is) and so Royal cancelled the whole booking. Both people paid separate for the cruise.

When we found out about this we desperately called Royal to try and save the cruise for the poor old lady who is 68 and disabled. She was totally unaware the other woman wanted to or infact cancelled the cruise until she sent her a text message late Friday. Royal told us that if the other passenger still wanted to cruise she would have to pay a single cruise supplement on top of what she had already paid. To make matters worse the taxes and port charges refunded were all paid to the lead passenger.

Surely in this day and age you can't cancel another persons cruise unbeknown to them ? There were two set sail passes so to me that would mean two contracts.

Does this poor lady have any recourse ? What is stopping this happening to other people ? Would you really want to risk searching for a cruise buddy if something like this can happen ?

I am going to pen a letter to the VP of Royal to try and get her a future cruise credit as she is the innocent party in all this. She did the right thing and paid her cruise fare and was expecting to cruise only to have her cruise cancelled 48hrs prior to sailing.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated 

Since it wasn't a solo booking (not sure RCI even offers that) I doubt you will get any resolution from RCI. You might consider a civil action against the other cruiser. I'm wondering what the damages are other than the taxes and port charges. Good luck to you. 

Edited by Johnamac123

You won’t  get anywhere with Royal.  Any name on the reservation has the right to make changes to that reservation.  

In hindsight they should have booked through a TA so that you could have let the TA know that any cancellation decisions had to have joint approval.

The only recourse would be against the travel companion who cancelled through civil court.

Sounds like a bad idea to cruise with someone you have never met since there is a lot of trust involved.  Royal Caribbean could not have known anything about them or their relationship, or lack thereof.

What a sad situation for your friend.  I don't know what Australian laws would say about this situation.  She may need to consult a lawyer and find out how to pry at least the refunded port fees and taxes from the offending party.  

Thanks for your responses. I personally don't know the lady but she was part of a Facebook I created with over 200 folks. I felt so bad for her when I found out given she had scrimped and saved and is a pensioner who rarely travels let alone cruises. It is very unfortunate for her given she would had still cruised if the other party simply did a no show

27 minutes ago, Aza1972 said:

Thanks for your responses. I personally don't know the lady but she was part of a Facebook I created with over 200 folks. I felt so bad for her when I found out given she had scrimped and saved and is a pensioner who rarely travels let alone cruises. It is very unfortunate for her given she would had still cruised if the other party simply did a no show

Sending her a check for taxes and port fees she was refunded but never paid sees more than reasonable. I would think punative damages could be considered. Lesson learned on never booking with a cruiser you barely know...