Coffee Card - FYI

Mikew0805

On 11/8/2018 at 10:08 AM, jean87510 said:

I'm on the jewel ta right now. I have bought the coffee card 2x before on 2 ta's. Neither time was I ever charged for more than 1 stamp. Both these cruises were last year. On the 5th, I went to get a coffee specialty with my card and i was told a medium was 2 punches and a large was 3. I said wait a minute as I did the math in my head, its cheaper if you want a large to just buy it! I told them to forget it and got my card, went downstairs to guest services, and canceled it. Regular free coffee tastes much better!

Thats ridiculous hope they fix this. i will not purchase this if thats the new norm. but it still advertises any coffee.

How much is a single shot cappuccino (not Starbucks since the card is not good there)?

I am wondering if the card still makes sense if you order single expresso shot cappuccinos.

I generally only get single shot drinks. 

1 minute ago, the mistral wind said:

The point is i usually buy large coffee drinks. and one punch applies because i bought one drink. now people are saying they punch card twice or three times per drink size thats just wrong. Hope PR person makes this right. as it is advertised differently

I understand the point.  The cruise planner implies that one punch per drink regardless of size.  They should fix the wording if that is not what they mean.

My question was about the value of the card for people who do not normally buy the large size. 

We are new to RCI and sailing the Oasis on a June Med sailing in 2019.. We plan on getting the coffee card. So if all we drink are plain and simple cappucinnos is the coffee card still a good deal? and will we be punched one hole per drink? or do we need to ebe very specific and stress a small or single cappucinno? Most europeans only a expect single shot cappucinno anyways.. it seems that the Starbucks culture started the whole venti, grande super size double, triple shots... 

On 11/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, denamo said:

To try and offer a coffee card and do punches by shots of expresso seems like false advertising.  Have taken a few Princess cruises and really enjoy their coffee card.  Doesn't matter what size of drink, it's one punch per drink.  That just seems fair.  I definitely wouldn't recommend getting the card.

Just off Island Princess Canal cruise last month. I started with Princess coffee card when originally offered, great deal since not only good for any size etc but also could keep card and use it on next cruise if still had punches left. YES said that right on back of card! Then they eliminated that a year or two ago I believe, card now says good ONLY for the cruise purchased. Now in the age of technology no more physical card. The coffee card is incorporated into your sign and sail card. ( no more " free " no punch ) You have no idea how many you have left unless you ask since also get no receipts any more. Yet another cute thing, no receipts for drinks etc unless you ask. Even asking go by the wayside soon as no receipt printers, have to check your bill.

So no more coffee cards for me, I'll pay as I go.

The reason, btw, that no standardization exists in my opinion is simple enough. Each ship has a Hotel Manager, Bar Manager etc. So if I am bar manager and instruct my people to charge per shot, or double charge for grande etc I generate more profit margin on less product use and look good to home office etc. So if ships Manager cares more for looking good to his boss or cares more about happy customers he manipulates the policy to fulfill his or her agenda.

George in NY

19 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I understand the point.  The cruise planner implies that one punch per drink regardless of size.  They should fix the wording if that is not what they mean.

My question was about the value of the card for people who do not normally buy the large size. 

They will always honor the ANY size wording if you take a copy of the website and raise a stink! :classic_rolleyes:

This is RCI... they will always try to scam you if you let them! 👎

On 11/9/2018 at 12:44 PM, LB_NJ said:

They will always honor the ANY size wording if you take a copy of the website and raise a stink! :classic_rolleyes:

On 11/7/2018 at 5:36 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

Good to know!  Once the drink package price goes up, I’ll likely get the punch card. It’s good on multiple cruises, right?

The Beverage manager agreed that the card was good for multiple sailings. 

48 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I can usually consume 15 in 5 days... Just under that on these last two. 

Looking at the card now, and it does not say on for the current cruise.

48 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I can usually consume 15 in 5 days... Just under that on these last two. 

Looking at the card now, and it does not say on for the current cruise.

So... is it an actual physical card?  Someone said it was just “credits” on your setsail pass...

Edited by vacationlover_mn

The legal definition says on current cruise only. however the coffee card does say ANY SPECIALITY COFFEE AND IT INCLUDES 15 on rccl. You can read the legal information it is small print which states current sailing. But everything else that people are complaining about must be addressed by management. I have e mailed them hopefully my e mail will be sent to proper management who have authority to make it right. i have no reason to use the same card on another ship i can drink 15 coffees in a week .But my concern is the size should include all drinks and sizes.

21 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

The Beverage manager agreed that the card was good for multiple sailings. 

No its only good on current sailing . As stated in the legal terms of the cafe card on the cruise planner where you purchase it. However it seems that each server makes there own rules which i addressed in my e mail to customer service management. For whom i hope my e mail gets read by.