Bar drink price increase and Classic Beverage Package

schiff1997

On 11/16/2018 at 3:29 PM, ikea logistics said:

Another reply from MSC. 

Good Afternoon Mr Arnold,

Thank you for your email.

As previously advised you will receive the benefits of the original Classic Drinks Package as it was booked before the Drinks Packages were updated. 

You will be made aware on board which drinks are valid for the original drinks package as unfortunately we do not have this information prior to departure. 

Kind Regards,
Sophie Betchley
Booking Management

i cannot believe that they do not know what drinks are available to us before we board.

So will they be able to tell you on the ship or will you have to go to each bar and say, “give me whatever is in my package?”

I just heard about the changes to the drinks package. We upgraded when booking to all inclusive deluxe on 11 day trip in 12/20 which cost us $520. When I emailed the booking agent at MSC about the change and whether or not we are premium plus now and if so, could that be change be reflected on my booking - the one sentence response was "your program remains the same as you purchased"! My hope it will be honored. I'm going to print out the old beverage packages that shows what is included in the inc. deluxe along with the email. Ugh. To make things easier it would make sense to switch everyone: DOU=easy, classic=premium, and deluxe=premium plus. It's not rocket science. Makes me concerned about this cruise since it is our first time with MSC after being loyal NCL customers. If anyone who is on the ship can report back with details it would be appreciated!

Just off MSC Divina in Miami.  We had upgraded our DOU package to the Classic several weeks ago.  There was a bit of confusion when we boarded.  The cruise cards are coded with your drink package.  There were 8 in our group.  They had failed to note the upgrade.  We all went to Reception and had them corrected with no problem.

The drink prices are as noted here.  However the limits have been raised.  So wine is now a maximum of $8.25 per glass (up from 7.50).  We could order any of the cocktails and frozen drinks which were $10.00 or less.  Also included were cordials, coffee bar orders, most beers, bottled water and gelato.  After every order we were given a receipt showing the cost of the drink and a balance of zero.  Our upgrade cost $180 per person and it was well worth it.

Not sure if this will happen in the future but we were satisfied.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CoffeeGoddess said:

Did they happen to post the Champagne Bar at all?  I would hope it would still have more champagnes by the glass then the standard menus.

I did not see that bar's menu posted.  That will be an interesting thing to follow once the no limit Premium Plus people start sailing.  Unfortunately, I figure the Champagne selection there will probably be diminished.  Same goes for availability of the high dollar Super Premium liquors like Johnnie Walker Blue.  We're all still waiting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lolahen said:

Just off MSC Divina in Miami.  We had upgraded our DOU package to the Classic several weeks ago.  There was a bit of confusion when we boarded.  The cruise cards are coded with your drink package.  There were 8 in our group.  They had failed to note the upgrade.  We all went to Reception and had them corrected with no problem.

The drink prices are as noted here.  However the limits have been raised.  So wine is now a maximum of $8.25 per glass (up from 7.50).  We could order any of the cocktails and frozen drinks which were $10.00 or less.  Also included were cordials, coffee bar orders, most beers, bottled water and gelato.  After every order we were given a receipt showing the cost of the drink and a balance of zero.  Our upgrade cost $180 per person and it was well worth it.

Well that wasn't a long wait.  Good news!

• Like 1

Since I booked with a Credit card and I did not receive what I was told I would get when I signed up for the Classic package; and have not received any official correspondence from MSC that they have changed their policy.  I could have my credit card company file a complaint against MSC for not honoring what was described on the web site when I originally booked the cruise and they would demand money back from MSC and credit to my account .This would have to be done after the cruise since I do not know for certain how MSC will handle this until I cruise on the Divina on January 10th 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lolahen said:

Did you set sail before the 12 th though 

6 minutes ago, ikea logistics said:

Did you set sail before the 12 th though 

I'm not sure that would matter.  Their package as purchased still had the lower limits.  MSC gave them the higher limits to let them have the same beverage choices due to the new menu being used.  If MSC didn't hold them to the old limits on the last sailing I can't see why they would hold later sailings to a lower limit.

13 minutes ago, Uzzell20 said:

So can you order shots under the classic package? 

Yes, those liquors were about the only thing that would probably have remained the same even if they enforced the old lower Classic dollar limits.  The included liquors were identified by name rather than price.

So my fear for my Jan 31 cruise where we bought Aurea...it iw the cheap Easy package...not what we thought we bought...on USA site today....on experiences....and no details given yet on cost of upgrades....would not have paid such a Premium for Aurea for the cheap-o Easy package. 

Last, but not least, the “Aurea” Experience, with its dedicated spa package, unlimited Easy drinks package

As a wine drinker, it would be cheaper to buy a couple bottles vs aurea room costs...but that drink package has nice Value prior....

Ate - i think YOU called this one early and right on the money....easy, but rooma still high cost or at least much more than the celebrity, Royal Caribbean class...less than Oceania but MSC is not Oceania with Lobster at the buffets and amazing service....what Class are they trying to fit into in the US anyway? 

35 minutes ago, rencamcruise said:

So my fear for my Jan 31 cruise where we bought Aurea...it iw the cheap Easy package...not what we thought we bought...on USA site today....on experiences....and no details given yet on cost of upgrades....would not have paid such a Premium for Aurea for the cheap-o Easy package.

If you booked before November 12 your Aurea cabin will have the Classic package.  According to lolahen's post above it looks like MSC is going to keep the same drink choices we paid for by increasing the per drink dollar limits to match the new higher priced menus.  On any future bookings I will have to evaluate Aurea based on what perks/packages MSC assigns to it.

2 hours ago, Até said:

I'm not sure that would matter.  Their package as purchased still had the lower limits.  MSC gave them the higher limits to let them have the same beverage choices due to the new menu being used.  If MSC didn't hold them to the old limits on the last sailing I can't see why they would hold later sailings to a lower limit.

Yes because they were mid cruise other people have boarded since and they are now having trouble getting the same as lolahen did. Remember the menus might have changed 12 November but they may not have changed the system until this weeks sailings

Edited by ikea logistics
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ikea logistics said:

Yes because they were mid cruise other people have boarded since and they are now having trouble getting the same as lolahen did. Remember the menus might have changed 12 November but they may not have changed the system until this weeks sailings

I notice the same thing between the two sailing's posters, confusion at boarding.  I'm hoping MSC is having trouble recognizing those that upgraded to Classic and having to re-code their cards for it to take effect.  Until then they would essentially have the DOU package. 

The new packages only began on Seaside at the weekend gone, the info came from a freind who works on the ship in a managerial capacity.

Cosmic ... No decision has yet been made on upgrades, its a case of implement and think later! what I call Backward Thinking.

Ikea ... We have no idea who has been employed to create this Fiasco because that is what it is, someone clearly who does not have the capacity to actually see what could or would happen if it was rolled out wrong. We currently have three new packages where only one is better than it was which is Premium plus, we also have Thousands of people with various other packages from Deluxe All Inclusive to Free drink packages(but not what it includes) and the others inbetween.

There has also been no thought it would seem as to how some of the older packages will be included or what drinks will be within them other than Deluxe and Classic for the USA while Europe is just as bad if not worse. Drink Vouchers and D.o.U being just two of those affected.

Then there are the upgrades or should i say No upgrades within the new packages and the very poor timing of how it has all been carried out, will heads roll ? I doubt it because they will no doubt say its the Italian way! well sorry but that does not fly where this Fiasco is concerned, heads should roll and roll fast with someone put in place to correct this total mess because I have already seen on various platforms cancellations and talk of others doing the same thing.

Is this the way to run a business in 2018 going forward ? sadly the people who will get all the flack will be the least well paid on the ships, already MSC have had issues recruiting and retaining staff on Seaside and this Fiasco will do nothing to make anyone else thinking of leaving want to stay.

MSC act like some secret organisation at times and it is about time they moved into the real world and started telling passengers what to expect especially where things like this affect them.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Janedoe2012 said:

Mlbdude- thanks for the update. If the $8 limit still holds I will be calling MSC and cancelling my Classic upgrade for my Nov 29 Divina cruise.Not going to pay $360 ( for 2) for an upgrade of nothing.

I was also planning on booking another MSC cruise for 2019 but this half ass beverage package switching incompetent handling means I will sailing with another cruise line

We also upgraded and I am watching these boards closely. If they aren't honoring the original Classic, I will also be cancelling our upgrade and spending that $360 on the drinks I want!!

Pat

• Like 2