Virgin Voyages - A evolution of NCL?

tx121

Yeah....I do believe they're edging in that direction....where everything is covered.  The fact that they essentially have two tiers for the sailings outside of Europe, where there are no perks for a bottom price or one with perks (which is similar to the one you quoted above, but adding in dining and drinking fees and tips.  I would imagine they're compiling data to see which way they'll go next.

As far as Virgin cruises, I'm mildly interested.  But as [mention=90911]Traveling Fools[/mention] I do think there will be more of a "party 'till you drop" sort of crowd.  Been there, done that......a LONG TIME AGO.  

Doesn’t describe our party at all! We’re hard-working, college educated, middle-aged, professional adults who like to have fun but most of us will “drop” before midnight! LOL! I doubt we’ll be the only ones!

Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LadyLion_AP said:

Doesn’t describe our party at all! We’re hard-working, college educated, middle-aged, professional adults who like to have fun but most of us will “drop” before midnight! LOL! I doubt we’ll be the only ones!

Only time will tell.

With you on that.  You just described me, too.  That doesn't mean I won't try (and most likely fail).

• Like 1

I have a booking on a June 2020 sailing on the Encore to Bermuda, but after that I'd definitely be looking to try Virgin Voyages. Seems as if my boyfriend and I fit squarely in their target demographic, as we're in our late 20s, both working on graduate degrees (the June 2020 sailing is actually supposed to be my graduation gift to myself, I'm scheduled to receive my MBA about two weeks beforehand) and we both have professional careers. The idea of a ship with no kids is certainly appealing, and while grad school + full-time job leaves very little time for partying (LOL at grad school frat party) we do take the opportunity on vacation when we don't have to be functional for work the next morning. 2021 is a long way away, but maybe enough time to see if VV lives up to the hype.

Edited by kayteecat

Didn’t want it to seem as if I don’t recognize everyone’s situation isn’t the same. My situation has changed over the years. For some, a short 4 or 5 day cruise wouldn’t be worth it & doing a back-to-back or spending a few days in Miami might not be financially feasible. Everyone defines “worth it” differently.

There are different variables used to determine how they choose to spend their money and/or if they are able to spend the money. I am definitely picky about what I choose to spend my money on. I intentionally choose to spend a lot on travel/experiences & I recognize this is a blessing to be able to do so. Life is short so I try my best to enjoy it to the fullest while I can!

Plus...I work like a crazy woman & my job is high stress! Vacations are mandatory! I mix it up with one or two longer vacations (7-14 days) & a few short ones each year (3-4 days).

21 hours ago, amscene1 said:

Coming from someone who has proven (on this forum) to be lgbt, just by your posts alone. 

We we should call you post Malone, the way you stalk posts from home. 

Looks like I hit a nerve.

Also, fire your joke-writer. He's clueless

On 11/10/2018 at 8:49 PM, amscene1 said:

VV has been clear that that are targeting one nitch. You have to pick at least 2 from the following:

YOUNG

AFFLUENT 

LGBT 

If you check off 2 of these catagorys, you can sail VV

Wrong.   As long as you are affluent you can cruise any line.  

And maybe you have young LGBT friends. 

1 hour ago, DMH15 said:

Wrong.   As long as you are affluent you can cruise any line.  

And maybe you have young LGBT friends. 

When I think of the word affluent, I think of Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara etc. 

ncl, carnival and rccl do not come to mind.

VV going 18+, all inclusive puts them in that category.

15 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Current posted itineraries and length of VV's cruises aren't very attractive to many veteran cruisers, especially those who have to travel large distances.  Once the bloom wears off (probably sooner than later), look for changes in both those categories.

I disagree.  Virgin is not going after the older and more season cruiser.  You are missing their market demo.  Its about the ship and not the destinations that cruise lines have went to every day for decades.  Its about the experience and I think they are going to be wildly popular.  Even NCL with its current marketing is not going after veteran cruisers.  Veteran cruisers stick with what they know and will always book a cruise.  The fight is over the younger person who would never consider a cruise with kids and families and the standard cruise fare.   Younger cruisers don't want opera shows, Broadway shows or singing shows.  They also hate being charged for things they are not aware of with all the hidden fees of cruising.  Finally someone is thinking outside the box.  Their ships are smaller and built to appear being on a large yacht. 

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I disagree.  Virgin is not going after the older and more season cruiser.  You are missing their market demo.  Its about the ship and not the destinations that cruise lines have went to every day for decades.  Its about the experience and I think they are going to be wildly popular.  Even NCL with its current marketing is not going after veteran cruisers.  Veteran cruisers stick with what they know and will always book a cruise.  The fight is over the younger person who would never consider a cruise with kids and families and the standard cruise fare.   Younger cruisers don't want opera shows, Broadway shows or singing shows.  They also hate being charged for things they are not aware of with all the hidden fees of cruising.  Finally someone is thinking outside the box.  Their ships are smaller and built to appear being on a large yacht. 

Finally an interesting thread! 

I agree with David, it's all about targeting niche markets and/or new target audiences. I am curious if Virgin won't come out too hard in look and feel of their total product, from what I've seen I am missing stuff like "service" or "relaxation", "comfort". Like other posters noticed the frat party look and feel, let's see how that works out in the total experience.

18 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Current posted itineraries and length of VV's cruises aren't very attractive to many veteran cruisers, especially those who have to travel large distances.  Once the bloom wears off (probably sooner than later), look for changes in both those categories.

Thats why my solo friends and I are doing back to back for nine days in October.  and we are all over 40

7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

VV is not all inclusive. Alcohol isn't included, and there are no drink pkgs available. According to RB, there won't be drink pkgs, but the prices will be reasonable.

We rarely buy drinks on board NCL, and don't take the "free" drink package because the gratuity is more than we like to spend on alcohol, but if a line had drinks in a reasonable price level we would have an occasional drink on board. Probably up to one per day. VV will make more money off us on alcohol if a drink is priced at $3 to $4 than NCL ever will with their "free" drinks.

Cabin prices are running about $200 per day after you get past the higher priced initial months. Other lines (except Disney) quote per person, so that's like a cruise for  $100 per person per day. That's not a bad value if you like the idea of a cruise without any extra charges like the daily service charge, mandatory service fees for free perks, etc.

3 hours ago, fshagan said:

We rarely buy drinks on board NCL, and don't take the "free" drink package because the gratuity is more than we like to spend on alcohol, but if a line had drinks in a reasonable price level we would have an occasional drink on board. Probably up to one per day. VV will make more money off us on alcohol if a drink is priced at $3 to $4 than NCL ever will with their "free" drinks.

The only place you will see alcohol available at sea for 3-4 dollars would be if the ship was named Fantasyland. Your consumption of "probably up to one per day" makes you a borderline teetotaler so unless your vice is gambling, any line you sail on will not be making any peripheral profits on you.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:39 AM, tx121 said:

This is may be a old topic already discussed on here but I don’t visit the boards that often. I just read the cruisecritic article about the new cruise line (Virgin Voyages) and how the operations are similar to the freestyle concept with no dress codes, open dining times, specialty restaurants that are free, late port times, no buffet, etc. I also read an article where a former NCL CEO sued the Virgin Company for using his ideas about the design and operations of the ships for the new company.

I am wondering if Virgin Voyages is a evolution of NCLs freestyle program currently and if NCL will change some of their operations if Virgin Voyages is successful. I for one would be very happy if NCLs specialty restaurants all of a sudden became free. Lol! 

Thoughts?

And their freestyle will likely truly be freestyle. With the size of NCL's ships, there is literally nothing freestyle about it. Everything has to be booked/reserved or you get shut out of it.