Butler experience so poor!

MrsT3030

I realised how privileged it sounds to even write that sentence but we really didn’t have a good experience at all.

Just stepped off the Jewel here in Singapore after a great week. We booked a suite, really looking forward to utilising the butler service.

We didn’t see him at all for the first two days (and we were in our cabin plenty). We eventually saw him and he told me he was going to explain the service. He then proceeded to tell us fairly obviously information about the boat (like where we could get breakfast), but nothing around how he could help us, nor did he ask if we needed anything.

All we asked for all week was to have water, milk and cookies ready at bedtime. Some nights we didn’t get this at all, it was simply ignored. Any time we called him to remind him or to ask a question, it was met with a frosty ‘ok’ and then he’d hang up.

I assume this isn’t the norm but perhaps it is? Did we miss something or do something wrong? 

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, raising an issue now does now is too late to help your cruise. The butlers work for the Concierge and an issues should have been raised day one. And repeated when expectations were not fulfilled. 

YES - it is now too late to complain and get the service you paid for expected and did not get !

You could fire off a letter to NCL at their Corporate Headquarters for some other compensation (if any) LINK below:

When on board who to direct this - the Butler reports to the Concierge - the Concierge reports to the Hotel Director.

This was awful - please write the letter and alert NCL of this - no excuse for this !

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL)

Norwegian Cruise Line Corporation Ltd. (Norwegian), a wholly owned subsidiary of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., is an American company operating cruise line, headquartered in Miami, FL.  The company is best known for its Freestyle Cruising concept, which means that there are no set times or seating arrangements for meals, nor is formal attire required.

7665 Corporate Center Dr.
Miami, FL 33126
http://www.ncl.com

Phone Contacts

Main: (305) 436-4000
Customer Service: (866) 234-7350
Toll Free: (866) 625-1164
International: (305) 436-4000

Email Contacts

Instead of email, NCL has a system to submit messages and documents via their website. It is important to use the right system depending on whether the cruise has sailed already or not.

Before the cruise has sailed: https://www.ncl.com/case-submission/pre-cruise

After the cruise has completed: https://www.ncl.com/case-submission

NCL has a reputation for protecting its customer loyalty base if the resolution request is reasonable but does not react positively to threats or over-reaching. Remember to state your proposed solution with specificity and keep it reasonable.

Customer Service Resources

Leadership Team

Passenger Bill of Rights

Ticket Contract

Book Safe Travel Protection

Social Media Contacts

Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus

Executive Contacts

Primary Contact
Vivian Ewart
Vice President, Passenger Services
Miami, FL 33126
(305) 436-4011
vewart@ncl.com

Chief Executive
Andy Stuart
President and Chief Operating Officer
Miami, FL 33126
(305) 436-4000
astuart@ncl.com

• Like 1

So sorry for your bad experience.  I luckily have only had one "bad" butler and I knew the first day how it was going to be. I was telling him we dont like those little hors d'oeuvre, could he bring little sandwiches or cheese and fruit instead when he said I have 14 other cabins you know.   :classic_ohmy:  He did end up bringing what we wanted most nights but it wasnt a very warm relationship lol Should have complained immediately, instead I gave him a miniscule tip.

Edited by boopsahoy
spelling

Still yet while onboard file a complaint with the Concierge and onto the Hotel Director.

Repeatedly getting bad service request a change of butlers - there are more than a few on board.

That not happening leaving a meager tip or NO tip at the end has merits in letting that person know

that you were not at all pleased with the service rendered - also a lessor tip to the Concierge for

not correcting the problem - the Hotel Director is not tipped top management level.

It helps to have cruised NCL more than a couple of times so that NCL knows that you are not a

first timer who doesn't know the services provided by the butler.

As for those unwanted snacks - horsed overs - fruit slices - chocolate strawberries - cookies & milk

simply give the butler a schedule of what you would like and when - if you get something you don't

want you don't have to eat it but it sure is a waste.

You might inquire of the butler how many cabins he has to service and be a bit flexible on the delivery

of the food goodies - but not furnishing any items when expected or delivering unwanted food when

advised not to should be communicated to the butler.

Also note that late at night 1 or more butlers will cover all the suites leaving the rest with time off.

Something could get lost in communication - be nice and try to understand about this.

Knowing more about the services of the butler - concierge and other front line service people is

of great help in administering to your service needs - stop and find out what the game plan is !

It helps to have cruised NCL more than a couple of times so that NCL knows that you are not a

first timer who doesn't know the services provided by the butler.

Why should that make a difference? Standards should be applied to new or old customers.

in my opinion some Butlers run around after certain customers who have tipped high before, leaving the other 14 to cater for themselves, people quoting $10-$15 a day tip, you know who is going to get the service. 

Butlers should be included in the DSC, and tipping only allowed in exceptional circumstances, I am aware that tipping is part of US culture, but NCL take cruisers from all over the world, some have no tipping culture.

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, raising an issue now does now is too late to help your cruise. The butlers work for the Concierge and an issues should have been raised day one. And repeated when expectations were not fulfilled. 

Well it's a good thing they raised the issue on these boards otherwise you would only have posted 99 comments on cruise critic today.  Now you were able to post 100 comments.

I never even tip the Butler.   Because I don't use the Butler.   In all my Haven cruises I have never asked one single thing of the Butler.   Yes, they bring around the snacks everyday, wheeling their cart full and dropping them in my room but literally that is it.   I tip everyone else because i use the other services.    

If I want things removed from my refrigerator, I remove them.   If I want water its available all over the Haven I get it.    Im not tipping the Butler because I don't use the service.    I think as soon as you start asking for things, even if they are simple things then that obligates you to tip them.    You ask them for nothing, there is no obligation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1