For those who have been to Shanghai

cruisingadoptionworker

HI all,

I am going to Shanghai on February 2nd. I fly into Pudong and my cruise port is Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal. 

1. Can you recommend a hotel that is located near lots of stuff? we only have the evening of the 2nd at the morning of the 3rd. I prefer to be on foot or use bikes.

2. Is it better to stay downtown or near the Cruise terminal?

3. Recommendations for transportation between pudong, hotel and hotel to cruise?

Thank you so much,

Ronnie

We love the Grand Central Hotel...amazing hotel and location (to Nanjing Road, The Bund and MRT station). I just came back from my 4th stay there. Use a taxi (from the taxi line) to get from PVG to the hotel. 

my recommendation is JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square

- taxi from airport to hotel and again taxi  to the pier. 

Hotel is located in downtown Shanghai.

Ask the hotel to provide address printed in Chinese - taxi driver might not be able to read English - and be prepared- driving like mad and probably no safety belts.

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

my recommendation is JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square

- taxi from airport to hotel and again taxi  to the pier. 

Hotel is located in downtown Shanghai.

Ask the hotel to provide address printed in Chinese - taxi driver might not be able to read English - and be prepared- driving like mad and probably no safety belts.

We just experienced some great taxi drivers from PVG to our hotel and then the return trip. Very clean taxi's, seat belts, no smoking signs and competent safe driver's....what you experienced isn't always the case any longer...we have found that things have changed for the better actually over our last four visits to Shanghai.

OP, do have Yuan for your taxi rides....and have the address/directions printed out in Chinese. I always keep the cards provided by the hotel for each visit...they come in handy for future trips since I always stay at the same hotel.

17 hours ago, cruisingadoptionworker said:

HI all,

I am going to Shanghai on February 2nd. I fly into Pudong and my cruise port is Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal. 

1. Can you recommend a hotel that is located near lots of stuff? we only have the evening of the 2nd at the morning of the 3rd. I prefer to be on foot or use bikes.

2. Is it better to stay downtown or near the Cruise terminal?

3. Recommendations for transportation between pudong, hotel and hotel to cruise?

Thank you so much,

Ronnie

1. Any hotel on the Bund, or Nanjing.  Try Sofitel Hyland.  I won't recommend it, because I'm staying in it in the future, but the location is great.  

2. Bund, or Nanjing road.  Lots to see, in the evening.

3. TAXI is the only recommendation.  Make sure you have the exact address written out, in Chinese, and make sure you have CASH.  They most likely will only take Yaun, and you will need it also if you buy anything from small places.   Have at least RMB100 per taxi ride

10 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

1. Any hotel on the Bund, or Nanjing.  Try Sofitel Hyland.  I won't recommend it, because I'm staying in it in the future, but the location is great.  

2. Bund, or Nanjing road.  Lots to see, in the evening.

3. TAXI is the only recommendation.  Make sure you have the exact address written out, in Chinese, and make sure you have CASH.  They most likely will only take Yaun, and you will need it also if you buy anything from small places.   Have at least RMB100 per taxi ride

The Grand Central Hotel sits just behind and to the left of the Sofitel and in my opinion is a much nicer hotel (I just returned from my 4th stay)...You might want to check out the pricing as a comparison. Enjoy whatever works best for you.

BTW: You will definitely need Yuan for your taxi ride (safe to at least have 200 Yuan for this trip to the hotel from PVG it's usually 150 Yuan) and anything else you purchase....I only use my credit card for the hotel.

I agree to use cash on the taxi (there are ATMs in the airport - very easy to use!) I've used the maglev & subway to the airport but am always tired upon arrival and take the taxi for ease!

Normally when I was there for work I was not in a hotel tourists would be interested in (out by a university not near tourist areas). When husband came with me and we did tourist things at the end of my work trip once, we stayed at Hyatt on the Bund which is an AMAZING hotel (our priorities were river view and Puxi/Bund side of the river). The downside is that the closest metro station was ~10 minute walk, but easy walk down the Bund....

We are staying at the Majesty Plaza Shanghai Hotel, 700 Jiujiang Road, People Square and South Bund Huangpu on January 4th 2019, joining the Sapphire Princess on the 5th for the SE Asian cruise. First visit to Shanghai so hope the hotel is as good as it looks online. Our travel agent originally booked us into Sofitel Shanghai Hongqiao but this seemed to us to be a long way from the most interesting part of Shanghai! 

Interesting to read the advice here re transfer to the port however as I was getting some very pricey quotes online. I'll take on board the advice re having addresses written in Chinese and having cash. A cab it will be!

Edited by 1951art
Misread OP's dates

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Shanghai in June 2018 and stayed at the Marriott Shanghai City Center.  It was a busy hotel but we managed to snag a decent deal for a Family suite, which could sleep 4.   The hotel is located very near the start of Nanjing East Road.  In fact, we could even walk to the Bund if we wanted to, but decided to take the touristy tram to save some walking.

REview of the Family Suite.

Tram ride.  Costs 5RMB per person each way.  

Based on  the rescoomendations fo many fellow CC cruisers, we've booked Les Suites Orient Bund. The views from the river rooms look incredible, it is well-located, and we got a good rate.

These sites were also very helpful:

https://www.skiddoo.com.sg/blog/travel/where-to-stay-in-shanghai-the-best-areas-and-the-best-hotels.html

https://www.topchinatravel.com/shanghai/where-to-stay-in-shanghai.htm