NCL Gem - Questions from new NCL cruiser

Noreen411

Hi.

My sister will be cruising on the Gem in February 2019.

She has never cruised NCL.  I haven’t either so was unable to answer some questions for her so am hoping you guys on cruise critic can come to the rescue 🙂

Does she need to make any advance reservations?  

Shows?

Restaurants?

Activities?

Is there a self service laundromat on the Gem?

Is there anything she shouldn’t miss?

Any advice is appreciated

Thank you for your help

Noreen

I was on the Gem a couple of years ago so I can answer some of your questions.

Does she need to make any advance reservations? Not for shows, main dining room or Garden Cafe. 

Shows? No.

Restaurants? Yes for the specialty restaurants, including the free Asian one (The Orchid Garden).

Activities? Not that I recall.

Is there a self service laundromat on the Gem? No.

I enjoyed the Atrium area on the cruise that I was on.  The bartenders and the entertainment were a lot of fun.  

O'Sheehans, is a free pub style restaurant where we ate breakfast just about every day.  It was never crowded and you have table service. 

Edited by LynnKY

No reservations are needed for the shows but it helps to show up early for the better seating.

No reservations are needed for the complimentary restaurants but I would definitely get reservations for any specialty restaurants.

Some activities like Canvas by U are popular so if you’re inclined to try it, be sure to sign up early on the ship.  Other activities it helps to show up early for the best seating.

No self-service laundry on the ship but they do have laundry service.  Once or twice during the cruise they will offer a special price for laundry.

Be sure to check out the bridge viewing room on deck 11 on sea days.  Also the Great Outdoors on deck 12 Aft is a wonderful place to have lunch on warm days.  Also the Spinnaker Lounge is a great place on deck 13.

Edited by Oakman58

29 minutes ago, LynnKY said:

I was on the Gem a couple of years ago so I can answer some of your questions.

Does she need to make any advance reservations? Not for shows, main dining room or Garden Cafe. 

Shows? No.

Restaurants? Yes for the specialty restaurants, including the free Asian one (The Orchid Garden).

Activities? Not that I recall.

Is there a self service laundromat on the Gem? No.

I enjoyed the Atrium area on the cruise that I was on.  The bartenders and the entertainment were a lot of fun.  

O'Sheehans, is a free pub style restaurant where we ate breakfast just about every day.  It was never crowded and you have table service. 

Thank you for the information

25 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

No reservations are needed for the shows but it helps to show up early for the better seating.

No reservations are needed for the complimentary restaurants but I would definitely get reservations for any specialty restaurants.

Some activities like Canvas by U are popular so if you’re inclined to try it, be sure to sign up early on the ship.  Other activities it helps to show up early for the best seating.

No self-service laundry on the ship but they do have laundry service.  Once or twice during the cruise they will offer a special price for laundry.

Be sure to check out the bridge viewing room on deck 11 on sea days.  Also the Great Outdoors on deck 12 Aft is a wonderful place to have lunch on warm days.  Also the Spinnaker Lounge is a great place on deck 13.

Thank you very much

IF he is still on the Gem ... A must see is Justin Golan.  He was the piano player/entertainer on the Gem. SO talented AND funny.  Great shows ... packed venues ... arrive early to find a seat. 

Here is info. of where he is playing this Dec. 22nd: 

Patrick Duffy & Justin Golan’s Piano Bar Show
Presented By The Duplex
Saturday, December 22nd at 6:30pm EST
Online sale ends: 12/22/18 at 5:30pm EST
The Duplex Cabaret Theatre
61 Christopher Street (at the Corner of 7th Avenue)
New York, NY 10014

Patrick Duffy and Justin Golan presents: NYC Piano Bar Showdown!  Come join us for a night of classic singalongs, but stay for the laughs!  This duelling piano show is the perfect gift for your friends, family or mistress. 
Justin Golan the beatbox/piano man

Justin is a professional Piano Bar Entertainer and Beatboxer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He has worked for several major cruise lines  as a Pianist, Piano Bar Entertainer and Music Director. With over 15 years experience as a vocal percussionist (beatboxer), Justin pushes the boundaries of the human voice and captivates audiences with his abilities. As a Piano Bar Entertainer, Justin puts on a high energy show with improvisational roasts and toasts, spontaneous beatboxing, and sing alongs!

2 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

IF he is still on the Gem ... A must see is Justin Golan.  He was the piano player/entertainer on the Gem. SO talented AND funny.  Great shows ... packed venues ... arrive early to find a seat. 

Here is info. of where he is playing this Dec. 22nd: 

Patrick Duffy & Justin Golan’s Piano Bar Show
Presented By The Duplex
Saturday, December 22nd at 6:30pm EST
Online sale ends: 12/22/18 at 5:30pm EST
The Duplex Cabaret Theatre
61 Christopher Street (at the Corner of 7th Avenue)
New York, NY 10014

Patrick Duffy and Justin Golan presents: NYC Piano Bar Showdown!  Come join us for a night of classic singalongs, but stay for the laughs!  This duelling piano show is the perfect gift for your friends, family or mistress. 
Justin Golan the beatbox/piano man

Justin is a professional Piano Bar Entertainer and Beatboxer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He has worked for several major cruise lines  as a Pianist, Piano Bar Entertainer and Music Director. With over 15 years experience as a vocal percussionist (beatboxer), Justin pushes the boundaries of the human voice and captivates audiences with his abilities. As a Piano Bar Entertainer, Justin puts on a high energy show with improvisational roasts and toasts, spontaneous beatboxing, and sing alongs!

Thank you.  I will let her know to check him out

Although reservations aren't required for the main dining rooms, they can be made. On my recent cruise on the Gem, there were long waits for tables on the first night out, when everyone seemed to want to eat at the same time and probably very few passengers chose specialty dining -- so if you plan to eat in any of the specialty restaurants, the very first evening might be a good time. The Grand Pacific dining room, the one that served breakfast, seemed to have too many tables for six and not enough tables for two; in the mornings they encouraged parties of one, two, or three to share the six-tops and it worked pretty well. One morning I was seated next to an elderly woman who I thought might be "difficult" but who turned out to be gregarious and entertaining.

Several people observed that dinner service seemed to be quicker in the Magenta dining room than in the Grand Pacific. But if you are going to a show after dinner, be sure to tell your server. NCL advises allowing two hours for dinner in either MDR, but on request you can be served and done in 90 minutes, allowing you to get to a 7:00 p.m. show if you want to. There are no reservations for any shows on the Gem, and they didn't seem to be needed.

Will your sister be a solo passenger? There is no studio lounge on the Gem (no studios, and thus fewer solo passengers than on some or the large ships) but there is a solos host who will organize groups for dinners and shows and perhaps other activities. We had a particularly assiduous solos host who also helped us with immigration (at Bar Harbor after port calls in Canada) and tendering, which made it worth going to the solos gatherings each afternoon even when you weren't interested in joining a group that evening.

"Will your sister be a solo passenger? There is no studio lounge on the Gem (no studios, and thus fewer solo passengers than on some or the large ships) but there is a solos host who will organize groups for dinners and shows and perhaps other activities. We had a particularly assiduous solos host who also helped us with immigration (at Bar Harbor after port calls in Canada) and tendering, which made it worth going to the solos gatherings each afternoon even when you weren't interested in joining a group that evening."

I just got off of the Gem in Sept. 2018.  Danni was the BEST solo host ever.  We got free coupons for services at the spa.  We got free bingo cards.  We had EXCELLENT service in the dining room.  As a group, we'd meet in the lounge and go down to the dining room ... bypass the HUGE line of people and were seated for dinner.  We signed up for dinner a day before and Danni arranged the time & table and we were treated very well. 

I loved going to the solo group meetings.  They were fun. We got to catch up with each other and how everyone's cruise was going.  I highly recommend the Gem for a solo cruiser. 

Edited by CruiseGal999
  • Like 1

Just a point regarding reservations for shows, as there is often confusion on this due to the difference between ships.

It isn't just that reservations aren't required for shows on the Gem. They aren't actually available. Reservations for shows are only a thing on the newer ships (Since the Epic). For older ships the entertainment is more like traditional cruising, with an early and late show. You just turn up to the ones you want to see.

9 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Although reservations aren't required for the main dining rooms, they can be made. On my recent cruise on the Gem, there were long waits for tables on the first night out, when everyone seemed to want to eat at the same time and probably very few passengers chose specialty dining -- so if you plan to eat in any of the specialty restaurants, the very first evening might be a good time. The Grand Pacific dining room, the one that served breakfast, seemed to have too many tables for six and not enough tables for two; in the mornings they encouraged parties of one, two, or three to share the six-tops and it worked pretty well. One morning I was seated next to an elderly woman who I thought might be "difficult" but who turned out to be gregarious and entertaining.

Several people observed that dinner service seemed to be quicker in the Magenta dining room than in the Grand Pacific. But if you are going to a show after dinner, be sure to tell your server. NCL advises allowing two hours for dinner in either MDR, but on request you can be served and done in 90 minutes, allowing you to get to a 7:00 p.m. show if you want to. There are no reservations for any shows on the Gem, and they didn't seem to be needed.

Will your sister be a solo passenger? There is no studio lounge on the Gem (no studios, and thus fewer solo passengers than on some or the large ships) but there is a solos host who will organize groups for dinners and shows and perhaps other activities. We had a particularly assiduous solos host who also helped us with immigration (at Bar Harbor after port calls in Canada) and tendering, which made it worth going to the solos gatherings each afternoon even when you weren't interested in joining a group that evening.

Hi

i will suggest she make reservations.  

She is not traveling solo but it is 2 families traveling together; about 10 people

thank you

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Just a point regarding reservations for shows, as there is often confusion on this due to the difference between ships.

It isn't just that reservations aren't required for shows on the Gem. They aren't actually available. Reservations for shows are only a thing on the newer ships (Since the Epic). For older ships the entertainment is more like traditional cruising, with an early and late show. You just turn up to the ones you want to see.

That is good to know

and makes it a bit easier too

thank you

54 minutes ago, Noreen411 said:

Hi

i will suggest she make reservations.  

She is not traveling solo but it is 2 families traveling together; about 10 people

thank you

If they all want to sit together at dinner, they should definitely make reservations.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:19 AM, KeithJenner said:

That is why I love the older smaller ships. I don't want to be heavily scheduled for dining or shows when on vacation.  

On 11/15/2018 at 11:19 PM, KeithJenner said:

Hi

We are going on the Gem in January and are looking to make all our dinner reservations now. But we are keen to know the time of the shows? Are they always 7pm and 9pm or does it vary? It would be great to see a current Freestyle Daily planner!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, artmac said:

Hi

We are going on the Gem in January and are looking to make all our dinner reservations now. But we are keen to know the time of the shows? Are they always 7pm and 9pm or does it vary? It would be great to see a current Freestyle Daily planner!

Thank you!

The shows are usually 7.30 and 9.30 although that isn't fixed in stone. The main reason for different times, I believe, or occasionally when there is just one showing. For example, this seems to happen on the first night when there is often just one show at about 9pm.

This isn't from experience on the Gem, by the way, but I believe this is fairly standard on the older ships.