Cell Phone Use On Anthem and Oasis Class

Groucho

I know this topic has been discussed many times, but I'm hopeful someone with more knowledge than me can help.

We may have a need to be reached on our cell phone for medical updates for a loved one.  We have used internet calling with some success but at times, we had a bad signal and poor reception.  Verizon is our cell carrier and we read on their web site that the ships have a cell tower and we will be charged about $3.00 per minute to use it.  We have used their $10.00 per day for their Travel Pass while on the islands with success.  The concern is being able to communicate quickly and clearly while at sea.

Can anyone advised how well the cellular at see works?  We are aware we can use the ship to shore on our cabin phone for $2.00 per minute (Pinnacle benefit) for outgoing calls and when someone is calling us on our cabin phone they will be charged $8.00 per minute, but we are trying to avoid having the person calling us pay for that charge.

Thanks for your help.

I have Verizon as my carrier and I use my Samsung phone  with Wi-Fi  calling.

I purchase the internet package from the ship , set my phone in airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi. I can make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages for no additional cost.

If you phone has Wi-Fi calling you need to set it up before you go to take advantage of it.

I never had a problem on either the Oasis or Anthem.

Edited by Tony O

12 minutes ago, Tony O said:

I purchase the internet package from the ship , set my phone in airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi. I can make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages for no additional cost.

If you phone has Wi-Fi calling you need to set it up before you go to take advantage of it.

We have had the exact same experience by doing the same.  We have AT&T

1 hour ago, Tony O said:

Me too.

I have an iPhone7 with Verizon.  I have successfully used WiFi Calling with the ship WiFi package all over the world in the past few years.  No issues.  I use it in ports at places with free wifi as well. Just check the top corner of the phone and it should say "VZW Wi-Fi" next to the signal icon if it is working.  If not then just reset it by turning airplane mode off then back on.  Test it at home before you go.