Caviar

oceanviewer21

We've done 10 SB cruises and I'm pretty sure the champagne we had in the Observation bar, aka 10 forward, is the same as we get elsewhere on the ship.  The brand of caviar they serve is exclusive to Seabourn.

Hint: order your caviar a day in advance for the next day in the Observation bar.  It can sometimes take an hour to get it when they are busy.

It used to be from Black River caviar in Uruguay but I think it changed a couple of years ago to Sterling in California. Either way it's farmed and sustainable (so I am led to believe). Which grade they purchase I don't know, but it's quite fine with me, creamy and tasty, we usually order it 3-4 times on a typical 2 week cruise, that's enough. Usually we pick a morning we're not rushing and order it for a breakfast treat. 

If you want it with blinis instead of the rather odd toast chips it comes with, you need to order a day ahead. 

I remember when caviar was reasonable such as Beluga, Sevruga, and Osetrea.  Now it is mostly farm raised but you can still get good quality.  In Russia we had the top quality Beluga and we shhh smuggled a few tins back home in dry ice packs and did not get caught in customs.  If caught they would just confiscate it and destroy it.  Trust me it did not last long gulp.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, rols said:

It used to be from Black River caviar in Uruguay but I think it changed a couple of years ago to Sterling in California.

The change from Black River to Sterling make sense now.  I could eat tons for Black River but started to get an allergic reaction to their Caviar in 2013.

• 10 months later...

We've had Sterling caviar on the Odyssey in January which I thought was a bit mushy; this has now been replaced on all five ships with Regiis Ostra.  We had this on our Quest transatlantic in April; much tastier and firmer IMHO.  Here's part of the Seabourn press release from January,  2019:

Seabourn has announced the introduction of Regiis Ova caviar on its fleet of five ships.

This new offering is an extension of Seabourn’s culinary partnership with Chef Thomas Keller through his new caviar company, according to a press release.

Co-founded by Keller and Shaoching Bishop, former CEO of Sterling Caviar and Tsar Nicoulai Caviar, Regiis Ova (“Royal Egg” in Latin) partners directly with sources of sturgeon farms that have met the standards of Chef Keller’s restaurants, including The Grill by Thomas Keller.

Regiis Ova has selected Siberian Reserve (Acipenser Baerii) from a family owned and operated farm in the fisherman village of San Gregorio de Polanco on the shore of the Rio Negro in Uruguay. 

Edited by offtoalaska
correction

On 11/18/2018 at 5:19 PM, rols said:

It used to be from Black River caviar in Uruguay ...

On 11/19/2018 at 5:17 PM, raphael360 said:

The change from Black River to Sterling make sense now.  I could eat tons for Black River but started to get an allergic reaction to their Caviar in 2013.

9 hours ago, offtoalaska said:

Seabourn has announced the introduction of Regiis Ova caviar on its fleet ... Regiis Ova has selected Siberian Reserve (Acipenser Baerii) from a ... farm ... on the shore of the Rio Negro in Uruguay. 

The caviar has apparently come full circle (except for the part where we now call Black River by its Spanish name).

Jus' sayin'.

Not having sailed on SB though have looked at it many times in the past and now considering again a cruise on Encore - a. question about caviar. Is it an added extra (pay extra) or included and if so where and how often is it available? It is only included for top suite passengers? I think in the past I have read of it being available just wondering if things have changed. On SS Muse for example it's available in the pay extra restaurant only really.