Gem Partially Covered Balcony

Greenpea2

It's been a couple of years since I have been on NCL. Looking at a cabin that only has another cabin on one side of it. It lists as a partially covered balcony. What does that mean exactly? Does anyone have a picture of one? I assume this is the result of some of the upgrades on the ship. Thanks in advance.

I think you're referring to the "hull balconies" towards the front of the ship. Do a Google image search and you'll see some examples. 

Some people love them. Better protection from the wind, and more privacy (no neighbors leaning around to see what you're doing). At the same time, the view isn't quite as expansive as a normal balcony. 

I'd probably never intentionally choose one, but if I got assigned because of a good GTY rate I wouldn't be upset. 

Thanks, MusterDrill for your take on it. I could not find any pictures of one on the Gem, just the Jade. So I was wondering if the Gem's were the  same. I see your point but I'm thinking I might like it for the privacy and to be able to be out there more on a cold weather trip out of NY. It's probably pretty hot though, once you are down in the caribbean. Still thinking it over.

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

Thanks, MusterDrill for your take on it. I could not find any pictures of one on the Gem, just the Jade. So I was wondering if the Gem's were the  same. I see your point but I'm thinking I might like it for the privacy and to be able to be out there more on a cold weather trip out of NY. It's probably pretty hot though, once you are down in the caribbean. Still thinking it over.

The Jewel, Gem, Jade, and Pearl are all sister "Jewel class" ships.  Here's a video I found showing a hull balcony on the Pearl.  From the photos I've seen over the years of these balconies, they have never seemed appealing to me -- they look too enclosed.  But you may feel differently, and there certainly are people who like them.

Thanks, Turtles! It would not have appealed to me on my previous cruises, when you could still smoke on the balcony (and when I was not traveling solo, as I will be on this one). Since you can't do that anymore, I don't expect to be spending as much time out there. Plus I like to sit out there in my nightshirt (!) in the morning, having coffee so more privacy is better! I know from experience how cold it is on sailaway and for the first day or so when leaving from NY in the winter. So a partially enclosed balcony will certainly help with that.