Insurance Question

jonsmom

Good afternoon fellow cruisers

I have a somewhat complicated question.  My son & his gf are booked on a Celebrity Reflection cruise in April 2019.  We are also booked on this cruise.  They times they are off/on.  My question is this....it is almost time for final payment.  Should she decide that she does not want to join us, and he wants to be booked into our cabin, will penalties apply?  I was thinking he should get traveller's insurance that covers Cancel for Any Reason,  but I know they should have done so right at booking.

Any advise?

Edited by jonsmom
bad grammer

Depends on whether the cabin you have for yourself will sleep 3 people or only two. Also depends on whether, even if the room can support 3, the assigned muster station for your cabin is currently booked to capacity. If so, he cannot be added to your cabin. Travel insurance can be purchased up until final payment. If GF is not going, she should be able to cancel and get the money back prior to final payment. 

The cancel any reason policy I buy (not from Celebrity) must be purchased within 21 days of initial deposit to get the Cancel Any Reason benefit ( and that is only 75% back).  I believe the Celebrity policy can be purchased anytime before final but if there is a cancellation you only get 75% in a future cruise credit which I believe would be in gf name and not transferable and must be used within 1 year.  With all insurance make sure you understand the details.  Maybe a call to insuremytrip or squaremouth would help.