Grand Cayman Stingray excursions through Carnival

rwilk1129

Carnival has 2 similar stingray excursions available on Paradise for Spring break cruise. Can anybody tell me the difference between the Dlx Stingray City Sandbar for families for $49.99 and the Sensational Stingray Swim for $39.99?  They both list 2 1/2 hrs. We are taking son, his wife and 4 grandkids.  We would like to save a little money if possible since we are paying for everything. Would also like to take advantage of Black Friday discount available right now. Also if we do book one of them can we cancel and get our money back if we change our mind? Thanks for any help on situation.

Edited by rwilk1129
Added info

Can't comment with knowlesge on the differences....are they different kids of boats out? Different levels of instruction on the family one? Snacks or drinks available?

We were able to cancel previously booked excursions to rebook using this deal. So you should be able to cancel .

We booked the stingray, starfish and snorkel in grand caymen.

Good luck!

See if there are reviews posted there on the excursion details page.  I've found that sometimes I can figure out the difference between 2 similar excursions by reading what others have posted.  Sometimes it could be just the difference between complimentary snacks/drinks or none at all.  

depending on the height of the kids it could be a problem.the water can be over 5 ft.our last trip was cancelled to wind in g.c. on another visit the water was deeper.i'm 6'2 with the waves it was fun but not for small children.went to rum point after that.enjoy your cruise

I typed up a response and it doesn't appear to have posted. Hopefully this won't be a duplicate post now.

I have not been on a Carnival stingray tour but I have seen them at the sandbar. We like to use Stingray Sailing. These folks know how to respectfully handle the rays. They bring food that the rays prefer and the rays seem to just "know" them. This all but guarantees that you will enjoy many many rays during your time there.

When we have been at the sand bar with SRS, we see the ship's tours and they are so overcrowded, there is little freedom of movement and the rays just don't hang out over there. The tour guides from the ship's tour come over to SRS and other private tours and carry the rays over to their groups which the rays don't like. We have also gone with another company on a very small group of jet skis and we didn't experience near the number of rays that we do with SRS. I think that the rays prefer their food and gentle handling and also recognize their boat. 

The gal who does photos on SRS is amazing and charges a very small fee for access to all of the photos taken. I will share a few below. We brought inflatable pool noodles for the kids who weren't strong swimmers. 

12316400_10207995687359766_6464852209517218172_n.jpg

12359998_10207995692559896_288788705267863475_n.jpg

12369009_10207995690759851_5233916947488366471_n.jpg

12390991_10207995687319765_759357164097116979_n.jpg

I would not choose a Carnival excursion for stingray city....their groups are too big.  Go online to see what Moby Dick offers. I promise that you will be pleased with their focus on safety, extensive educational information shared and the experience itself.  Small group, they provide squid to feed to the rays, they know names for so many of the stingrays and have rapport - with rays, with the guests, too! 

We have traveled with them multiple times, recommended others to do so (who have been equally delighted with the outing) and are now on our "second generation" of travelers with Moby Dick (now-adult daughter on their honeymoon cruise).

Edited by Out of Iowa

1 hour ago, Out of Iowa said:

I would not choose a Carnival excursion for stingray city....their groups are too big.  Go online to see what Moby Dick offers. I promise that you will be pleased with their focus on safety, extensive educational information shared and the experience itself.  Small group, they provide squid to feed to the rays, they know names for so many of the stingrays and have rapport - with rays, with the guests, too! 

We have traveled with them multiple times, recommended others to do so (who have been equally delighted with the outing) and are now on our "second generation" of travelers with Moby Dick (now-adult daughter on their honeymoon cruise).

40 minutes ago, luv2cruise2thebeach said:

I second Stingray Sailing.  The catamaran sail out to the sandbar is so nice an relaxing and Chip and his crew and very professional and know their stuff.

We used them as well.  There were only 8 of us on our boat, but the Carnival boats were loaded down.  We were able to have a TON of interaction with the stingrays.