Solo and Specialty Restaurants

imsetuc

It may be 2018 (almost 19) but it seems in this big world we live in there are still people who think traveling solo is odd, weird, bizarre, (pick your word).   Don't let some close minded person influence the good time you can have as a person who travels on their own.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

it seems in this big world we live in there are still people who think traveling solo is odd, weird, bizarre, (pick your word). 

A lot of people.  And there are still a lot of people who think never marrying is odd/weird/bizarre.  And a lot of people who think never having children is odd/weird/bizarre.

People who don't do what the majority of the population do will always be seen as odd/weird/bizarre.  Time with not change that.  Odd, in a social context, is almost by definition being out of the ordinary.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2018 at 12:42 PM, Lois R said:

Oh well, call me odd then.

Lois, there are a lot of us odd people out there, who enjoy our lives.  Maybe we could start a club or something.  We could call it the Oddfellows or something similar since that one was already taken.  It would probably have to be more gender correct as well as there are quite a few of us Odd people, both male and female.  Happy New Year.  Neil

5 hours ago, travelnap said:

Lois, there are a lot of us odd people out there, who enjoy our lives.  Maybe we could start a club or something.  We could call it the Oddfellows or something similar since that one was already taken.  It would probably have to be more gender correct as well as there are quite a few of us Odd people, both male and female.  Happy New Year.  Neil

Hi Neil, Happy New Year to you as well:classic_biggrin:.....yes, we could call ourselves the Dudes and Dudettes of the Solo Traveler's Club LOL

On 12/27/2018 at 2:08 AM, calliopecruiser said:

A lot of people.  And there are still a lot of people who think never marrying is odd/weird/bizarre.  And a lot of people who think never having children is odd/weird/bizarre.

People who don't do what the majority of the population do will always be seen as odd/weird/bizarre.  Time with not change that.  Odd, in a social context, is almost by definition being out of the ordinary.

See - we are the sensible people. We who chose to not live according to other people's constraints and expectations. 

I refer to myself as happily solo and child-free. I made that choice at age 12 - and now at 50 I still feel exactly the same.

I have been travelling solo since mid teens and have never encountered the bizarre comments from 'marrieds' that often get mentioned here. To be honest I think its localised to the US. Aussies, Kiwis and Euro's all mastered solo travel many many decades ago and we don't think there is anything unusual about it. 

I'm trying all of the specialty restaurants on my Vista cruise next month. I booked for right when they open. My strategy is to eat before the place fills up.  Surely it can't be more awkward than dining alone in the dining room.

The worst was sea day brunch once.

Hostess: "dining with otters today?"

Me: "No otters."

Water/Juice guy: "Just you today?"

Me: "yes."

Water/Juice guy: "Just you alone?"

Me: "That's right."

Water/Juice guy: "would you like a smaller table?" (I'm at a table for 4)

Me: "I don't care."

Head Waiter: "dining alone today?"

Me: "yes....just me, alone, by myself."

17 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

The worst was sea day brunch once.

Hostess: "dining with otters today?"

Me: "No otters."

[snip]

I know it was just a typo but dammit now I want to find a cruise line that would let me dine with otters! I love their cute little furry antics.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Croptop said:

I know it was just a typo but dammit now I want to find a cruise line that would let me dine with otters! I love their cute little furry antics.

It wasn't a typo...it was a ukrainian hostess.

• Thanks 1

On my most recent cruise last month, I dined primary in the Steakhouse (three nights).  

I dined at different times from early to middle of dinner time.

Enjoyed each moment of it and ate at my pace.

I had my Kindle to enjoy.  But also enjoyed sipping on my wine and sitting back relaxing.

At the point now just enjoy my company on solo trips.  Have little or no concern about what others thinking.  You most likey won't see these folks again the rest of your life so why worry about them?

Now I also do enjoy dining at the MDR and with the exception of one cruise, have on both HAL and Carnival lucked out with some great cruisers including some I still keep it touch and sailed with.