Worried about college students in ship - May 2019

ultrabby

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to our first cruise on May 5th which is a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise sailing out of Port Canaveral, FL. I am a bit worried that there would be a lot of college students since that's when a lot of them graduate. My husband and I are also college students and graduating around that time as well, but we are not into the college party scene. I am wondering if during that time there would be a lot of college students there and if you ever had bad experiences with college students. 

4 hours ago, coevan said:

Since someone has to be 25 in the cabin, not going to be a problem. I'm not quite sure what you think college students would do to interfere with your cruise. You are making quite a generalization. 

Per Carnival Policy:

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. For additional minor age restriction guidelines while on board, click here.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

Most college graduates are over 21.

4 hours ago, coevan said:

Since someone has to be 25 in the cabin, not going to be a problem. I'm not quite sure what you think college students would do to interfere with your cruise. You are making quite a generalization. 

Although this was a  LONG time ago 1985 or 1986 ... my 2nd cruise with Carnival was with 27 of my 'closest' friends.  We were literally kicked off of the pool deck on the last night and told to go to our cabins.  We were having a farewell toga party and we were drunk and rowdy. We did go to our cabins, got dressed and continued to party on.  Age range was 19 years old to mid-30s.  So college kids aren't the only partiers.  Just fyi. 

Agree with the others - I don't think this will be a big week for college students.  For one thing you are probably a week early for many of the commencement ceremonies, and graduating students don't have the same reputation for congregating in massive packs as spring breakers.  By graduation they need to be packing up their stuff and/or looking for a job! :)

• Like 1

In May students are too busy either figuring out if they are graduating and looking for a "real job" (and grad ceremonies are in that date range, which keeps them busy), or they are getting back to "home town" for the summer, or they are finding a job in their school city to get some cash.

College kids may be more prevalent in the Spring Break period of March-ish, but even then I wouldn't worry - yes, they can get noisy and annoying, so walk away and ignore them, like you would do any group of folks (rag-tag swarm of 8-year-olds on the waterworks, that group of tough-guy accountants in the hot tub, whatever) that you don't want to hang out with. 

I find them (college kids) infinitely amusing when they start to have a bit too much to drink in the hot sun, and usually shortly thereafter they are headed to their rooms to sleep it off.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ultrabby said:

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to our first cruise on May 5th which is a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise sailing out of Port Canaveral, FL. I am a bit worried that there would be a lot of college students since that's when a lot of them graduate. My husband and I are also college students and graduating around that time as well, but we are not into the college party scene. I am wondering if during that time there would be a lot of college students there and if you ever had bad experiences with college students. 

You really shouldn't worry about it.  You can always avoid the areas where partying occurs.  Mostly I have found that it is isolated to the pool area.  Just go with it, you will have a great time no matter who else is on the boat.  

I don't know why college students get such a bad reputation. In college, it was rare for me to run into drunk people. Spring breakers are one think, but May will be fine. Keep in mind that pretty much all Carnival cruises have a party vibe which is in no way limited to 20 somethings. There will be drunk people. There will be old people confessing to banging in the elevator during the love and marriage show. There will be overweight people squeezed into tight swim suits sipping one cocktail after another and dancing to Play that Funky Music. It is just the way it is. But don't worry, there are still plenty of places for solitude. Just go with the flow.

I think that you have done a few things right to avoid both the party crowd and the multitudes of kids:

• This is early May.  Many kids are still in school.  Most college graduates are too busy to cruise right after graduation (if it has even happened yet, it's very early).
  • You are on a 7 day cruise.  Most college students can't afford the time and money to take a longer cruise.

Enjoy!

22 hours ago, ultrabby said:

Hi everyone,

I am a 44 year old college student I will be going on a 7 day cruise in March.  I will try to be good 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, ultrabby said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about this as well when we booked a 7 day cruise out of Long Beach in May of 2017.  There were a couple groups of young college-age folks there but it was really nothing.  In talking with other cruisers they were right that the college partiers are much more likely to take a 2-3 day cruise that time of year since there's so much going on, and you'd see more of them taking the longer 7 day cruises later on in the summer.

You are more likely to have a lot of college students during spring break. My husband and I are in our 40's and 2 years ago we were on a cruise with about 100 Clemson students. We ended up hanging out with a group of the boys most of the week and had a blast.

• Like 1