Tahiti

djvand

Hello Oceania fans!  We are looking to book a cruise from Tahiti in 2020.  We have 3 cruises booked until then and I thought that would give me plenty of time to plan for this one.  Been researching on CC for the past few weeks and it looks like both Oceania and PG would be a good fit for us.  We do not scuba so would mainly be interested in beaches and motorized tours in port.  We are young so no issues with mobility.  We have recently been cruising with MSC in their Yacht Club so we prefer a suite with an all inclusive experience.  Any general advice between the 2 lines.  The PG looks to be a bit older but smaller and more intimate than Oceania.  Love your feedback or any suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

We are doing the FP on the Marina in February. I believe that 2019 is the last scheduled year for her to go there. After that only R ships. Given that, if going in 2020, we would have chosen PG over the R ships. From friends that have done both there, the food and comfort of Oceania far outpaced PG. However, for the cultural experiences , tours, and speakers PG far and away blows Oceania away. Plus , for you, PG had a far overall younger set of demographics. The two lines have different priorities, agendas, and probably clientele. Neither good nor bad, but different.

When we visit many of the ports of calls we don’t return to the ship for lunch. We eat the fresh local foods and specialties. We have already booked all private tours for our visit to the various islands. Most have large local specialties lunches included. Truth be told, I’m not sure how many full dinners we’ll actually need aboard outside of sea days. We don’t recommend Oceania ship tours, especially to younger cruisers.

We did the PG several years ago and loved it. The small ship was wonderful as you get to know all the crew and most guests quickly. The food was fantastic with lots of fresh caught fish being brought on board by the chef at each port. PG is also all inclusive as opposed to Oceania. PG's private island in Taha'a is also incredible. Private beach, great snorkeling and kayaking, full open bar including a "floating" bar where they serve you drinks in coconuts in the water. 

PG also has a private beach in Bora Bora. Although not as great as the one on Taha'a it was still nice. The ship is older and the cabins smaller but as mentioned the on board speakers and cultural experiences were excellent. Lots of locals come on board at the ports. If you want a luxurious suite and amenities then Oceania may be a better fit, but we really enjoyed our cruise with PG. 

Thanks for the replies and pictures!  They look great and I think your advice makes sense.  Still going to research and study the ships.  We do place a priority over food and rooms.  We tend to make our own adventures ashore but I have figured out on here these ports can be remote so we will need to make sure we have a tour booked on our own.

Just  a word of warning or clarity

the suites on Oceania are nothing like the Yacht club experience of MSC

there is  no separation of guests  once you leave the stateroom

Everyone eats in the same dining venues  no separate  dining rooms for Suite guests

If you want a longer,cheaper option with many sea days without complicated flights from USA you might want to consider HAL. Each year they do a round trip from San Diego via Hawaii to various Islands then of course back to S.D.

They are much larger ships but offer more facilities on the sea days, we are going in March on the Eurodam,  can’t wait.

Rosalyn

9 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

If you want a longer,cheaper option with many sea days without complicated flights from USA you might want to consider HAL. Each year they do a round trip from San Diego via Hawaii to various Islands then of course back to S.D.

They are much larger ships but offer more facilities on the sea days, we are going in March on the Eurodam,  can’t wait.

Rosalyn

Folks from overseas sometimes miss this, but the reason why shipping lines stopped sailing from California to Hawaii and Polynesia in the first place is that the "crossing" part of the trip is long, boring, prone to "iffy" weather and seldom calm.  

I'm not an Air travel fan, but this route is one area where it is a Godsend.  :classic_love:

Having sailed on all of O's ships (except Serena) at least once, and having sailed three times on PG, I heartily concur with above posts by pinotlover and WNcruiser.  

They've pretty much nailed it, especially pinotlover's point about a younger passenger demographic aboard PG and WNcruiser's point about the Chef buying and bringing aboard fresh fish every day.  (I have photos of him haggling with the fishermen!)  Plus, PG is all-inclusive as you prefer.