Deciding between two very different cruises

MaC410

We sailed on Royal for our first cruise this past spring and loved it. Now we are looking at two very different cruises from Royal to go on in August. One is an Alaskan cruise that sails out of Seattle that has great excursions and sounds like it would be a trip of a lifetime. The other is an Eastern Caribbean cruise that sails out of Orlando. We are very conflicted deciding between the two of them as they both have their pros and cons. Both are on newer ships (Ovation and Harmony) and since our last ship was Vision we are excited to try something larger.  We live on the East Coast so flying to Seattle would be a longer trip with more expensive airfare.  However, the type of excursions they offer seem like things we would love to try. The Eastern Caribbean one we would link up two days before sailing with a trip to Universal Studios which we have wanted to go together. We are concerned about hurricanes and though the idea of snorkeling and other water activities sounds fun we are not the lay out on the beach type people (and before people say "Why go on an Eastern Caribbean cruise then if you aren't beach people" we still want to go see the destinations provided and do some activities.) We want to make our decision soon so if anyone has any thoughts or has been on any of those cruises and can offer some first hand thoughts we would love to hear them! 

1 minute ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Everyone should do Alaska at least once.

Can you give us a hint as to who is in your party and ages?

Its just my husband and I we are going for my 30th birthday, we both will be 30

Alaska is great but as you have said, much more expensive. The excursions are very pricey for the good ones.We cruise the Caribbean a bunch and we are not lay on the beach people either. We have done great hiking, sailing, jet skis, snorkel and diving. Ziplines are fun also. both ships will be awesome . Look at your budget and price out a few excursions on each , if price is a factor.

Alaska would be my choice.  Sometimes the Alaska cruise is a little cheaper than a Caribbean.  I think because the air is more expensive  and the excursions can be more.

I would suggest that if you take the Alaska cruise to spend 3-4 days on a land tour.  This would give a chance to see Denali.  Although now that I think of it a land tour may not be available with a cruise from Seattle.

Either cruise will be wonderful but very different.

51 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Alaska. 

Right now the May 13 cruise is quite reasonable for a cruise to Alaska.  And since it's 11 nights, it goes to ports that the 7 night doesn't.

🙂

🤔 August may be important

3 minutes ago, EeyoreRN said:

...The glaciers are receding.  ....The Caribbean will be there for a while.  Well... probably.

As glaciers recede, oceans rise. 😉

Well, according to some folk.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MaC410 said:

Now we are looking at two very different cruises from Royal to go on in August. One is an Alaskan cruise that sails out of Seattle that has great excursions and sounds like it would be a trip of a lifetime. The other is an Eastern Caribbean cruise that sails out of Orlando. We are very conflicted deciding between the two of them as they both have their pros and cons. Both are on newer ships (Ovation and Harmony) and since our last ship was Vision we are excited to try something larger. 

You will have a difficult time putting both the red statements above on the same cruise.

You will need to decide if you're sailing for itinerary ("trip of a lifetime") or for the "newer larger" ship.

You will not experience much of Alaska by sailing Ovation, unless you choose the awesome one-of-a-kind May 13 sailing as Merion_Mom mentioned in a previous post. Alaska is an itinerary trip, not a trip to base because of a ship. I personally would do the Radiance of the Seas itinerary over the Ovation every time (other than May 13)

Harmony gives you the bigger/newer ship without a "trip of a lifetime" per se because the itinerary is not as exotic or one-of-a-kind. You will get more sea days to experience the ship vs. actually seeing/experiencing the world (ie. like Alaskan ports).

So in my humble opinion: Choose Harmony for the ship... choose Radiance to see Alaska

• Like 2