Ovation in Sydney 28 Nov

17 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

According to the webcam, they are just leaving now.  I was wondering if they may have been able to wait for a little bit to give some of the delayed passengers a bit of extra time.

Usually they would; it's in the cruiseline's interests to get as many people on as possible and not leave them behind, though the trade-off is extra fuel use and port availability and costs.

When it's happened in the past, the ship has waited a bit and got everyone when I've been on waiting ships, though that wasn't possible this time.

Edited by The_Big_M

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I was thinking of what an insurance would pay , namely the most economical outcome ,

ie  ... fly to Auckland and go direct from airport and  board the ship. 

I was thinking that would only be possible if the ship made special arrangements.

After all, Auckland is a tender port.

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

I was thinking that would only be possible if the ship made special arrangements.

Duncan they are taking in the Downline's in Auckland... like you I thought tenders were a no go... Tenders are usually smaller ports... larger ones like Auckland probably have the officials that can process  the passengers and allow them to board. 

20 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

According to the webcam, they are just leaving now.  I was wondering if they may have been able to wait for a little bit to give some of the delayed passengers a bit of extra time.

The ship waited as long as they possibly could, there were only about fifty or so passengers who missed the ship (about one percent of the number of guests expected) There was no way for the ship or the ground staff to know where those missing people were or if they were even coming. On any cruise there are always some "no shows" and sometimes that number can be surprisingly high. The extra port charges for the ship staying longer would probably outweigh the value of those bookings..not saying Royal is obligated to, or would be able to refund...just stating figures

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Even so, they could still take the luggage on tenders, and have the facilities in place for formalities there.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

The ship waited as long as they possibly could, there were only about fifty or so passengers who missed the ship (about one percent of the number of guests expected) There was no way for the ship or the ground staff to know where those missing people were or if they were even coming. On any cruise there are always some "no shows" and sometimes that number can be surprisingly high. The extra port charges for the ship staying longer would probably outweigh the value of those bookings..not saying Royal is obligated to, or would be able to refund...just stating figures

Thanks for the explanation, I suppose they were lucky it was only  around 50 pax that didn't show. Some of those may have been for other reasons than the transport or the weather factors such as health.

Only 50 is a good number considering the size of the ship.
People were telling those on FB that were saying they were going to miss the ship to contact intercruises and giving them a contact number as well as RCCL.  I suppose if you do this, at least the ground staff have an idea what is happening with you as the pax at least.

13 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

The band Let There Be AC/DC posted on FB that they missed the ship because Qantas decided that their guitars and equipment was too heavy to fly to Sydney.

Obviously they must  be a "heavy metal" band then .

Edited by gbenjo