Explain it to me like I'm 5! Texting on Anthem w/ Android. Need Voom?

Cruising on the Anthem Jan 6th -12 nights and I need to be in contact with family because my sister is sick.

• Do I need to buy a package to easily text  using my Android cell phone to the outside (not people on ship) on the Anthem?
  • Does Android texting work well on Anthem without Voom package? 
  • We need to get Royal IQ app on phone to text, correct? That only allows testing to others on board, right?
  • If I buy VOOM Surf, will I also be able to PHONE home to the outside?  If so, how? Do I need an app? Which one?😕
  • Do I keep phone on Airplane mode at any time?  When? 😀

Thanks!!

Royal IQ only allows texting to those using Royal IQ on the same ship.

There have been reports of some texting apps working without purchasing VOOM, such as Google Hangouts.  However, if you don't want to depend on this anomoly (which may or may not be fixed by the time you cruise), I'd get VOOM Surf and enable WiFi calling on your phone.  WiFi calling will give you voice and text capability to the outside.  Keep the phone in Airplane mode whenever you are onboard the ship.

Best to test WiFi calling at home, there is usually a one-time setup procedure that must be completed while connected to cellular.

Always engage airplane mode to avoid your cell company from charging roaming charges if your phone connects to the onboard cell tower that gets activated once at sea.  Most cell phone providers charge outrageous sums to use that cellular connection.  Airplane mode avoids that potential.  

Once in airplane mode turn on wifi and connect to the ship wifi called 'royal-wifi'.  

1 minute ago, jolinda said:

Not all Android phones support wifi calling.

Even if supported, native WiFi calling texting may not work without VOOM (like iMessage does on iPhone) - be prepared to use an alternative like Google Voice/Hangouts.

I have a Android phone and use Message+ as my texting app of choice.  It has wifi texting capability. So, keeping my phone in airplane-mode, turning on wifi and connecting to "Royalwifi", will I be able to text someone on the ship that does the same?

I don't want to text the outside world, just others on the ship. This just a general questions, not specific to any ship.

I've done something similar when traveling internationally on land based vacation, connecting to the hotels wifi and have successfully texted the outside world. Never tried it on a cruise however, since I always thought the Royal IQ app was needed and/or Google Hangout.

I guess I'm not even as smart as a 5 year old.😵

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I have a Android phone and use Message+ as my texting app of choice.  It has wifi texting capability. So, keeping my phone in airplane-mode, turning on wifi and connecting to "Royalwifi", will I be able to text someone on the ship that does the same? ...

Yes, for sure it would work if you have purchased VOOM.

If you are asking if it will work without purchasing VOOM, you won't know until you try it onboard.

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I have a Android phone and use Message+ as my texting app of choice.  It has wifi texting capability. So, keeping my phone in airplane-mode, turning on wifi and connecting to "Royalwifi", will I be able to text someone on the ship that does the same?

I don't want to text the outside world, just others on the ship. This just a general questions, not specific to any ship.

Yes, but this is ship specific, the yes answer only applies on Quantum class ships and Harmony. The answer is very likely no for the rest of the fleet.

Edited by Biker19

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, for sure it would work if you have purchased VOOM.

If you are asking if it will work without purchasing VOOM, you won't know until you try it onboard.

Yes, I should have mentioned without purchasing VOOM.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yes, I should have mentioned without purchasing VOOM.

Thanks!

You're welcome.  Please report back with your experience on getting messaging to work without purchasing VOOM.

19 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but this is ship specific, the yes answer only applies on Quantum class ships and Harmony. The answer is very likely no for the rest of the fleet.

Got it. Thanks!

Do you think the rest of the fleet will eventually get that capability once the upgraded wifi is rolled out?

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You're welcome.  Please report back with your experience on getting messaging to work without purchasing VOOM.

Will do! 

I just got off a cruise on Liberty a few weeks ago and didn't think of trying it until after getting off the ship. Next cruise will be sometime next summer.

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Got it. Thanks!

Do you think the rest of the fleet will eventually get that capability once the upgraded wifi is rolled out?

Nope, I think one of the reasons they are using a newer app is so they can plug the hole in the firewall that is required to use the Royal IQ app messaging.

That's a bummer. I was hoping to be able to text members of my party without VOOM. I like to be disconnected from the outside world while cruising.

Last cruise, we went old-school. Voice mail on the cabin phone and/or notes tacked to the cabin door.

Hi irisheileen ☺️

Of course this will vary from person to person for various reasons, but I find it easiest & efficient to stay in touch with family back home while on a sailing by:

1) Purchase Voom

2) Put phone on airplane mode

3) Turn on Wi-Fi 

4) Connect to Royal Wi-Fi

5) Type in your Voom password

6) Then use Facebook Messenger to stay in contact with family

Have a terrific voyage on Anthem! My wife & I will also be on Anthem once again for a 12-night Valentine's sailing. She's a wonderful ship! 

Enjoy!

😊

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That's a bummer. I was hoping to be able to text members of my party without VOOM. I like to be disconnected from the outside world while cruising.

Last cruise, we went old-school. Voice mail on the cabin phone and/or notes tacked to the cabin door.

Could be that by the time of your cruise, your ship will have free "chat" capability with the newer Royal App.

So which app should we download for our voyage on the Anthem?  Royal Caribbean App or Royal Iq for texting with friends onboard?  Some of us will purchase the Voom package but some won't.  Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, Tsyc said:

So which app should we download for our voyage on the Anthem?  Royal Caribbean App or Royal Iq for texting with friends onboard?  Some of us will purchase the Voom package but some won't.  Thanks in advance!

Royal IQ right now, though I would test your texting cabability once you are onboard, before purchasing VOOM.  You may find your texting works with no app and no VOOM purchase.

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal IQ right now, though I would test your texting cabability once you are onboard, before purchasing VOOM.  You may find your texting works with no app and no VOOM purchase.

Thanks for your tip.  

9 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal IQ only allows texting to those using Royal IQ on the same ship.

There have been reports of some texting apps working without purchasing VOOM, such as Google Hangouts.  However, if you don't want to depend on this anomoly (which may or may not be fixed by the time you cruise), I'd get VOOM Surf and enable WiFi calling on your phone.  WiFi calling will give you voice and text capability to the outside.  Keep the phone in Airplane mode whenever you are onboard the ship.

Best to test WiFi calling at home, there is usually a one-time setup procedure that must be completed while connected to cellular.

Thanks. I checked my settings and it looks like I already have Wi-Fi calling turned on. I have a screenshot of it below. Since it's already been on how do I test if it works?127828183_Screenshot_20181128-163113_Wi-FiCalling.thumb.jpg.74db75b07c5099bb66a0847c0716ce0a.jpg127828183_Screenshot_20181128-163113_Wi-FiCalling.thumb.jpg.74db75b07c5099bb66a0847c0716ce0a.jpg127828183_Screenshot_20181128-163113_Wi-FiCalling.thumb.jpg.74db75b07c5099bb66a0847c0716ce0a.jpg1047815720_Screenshot_20181128-163458_Wi-FiCalling.thumb.jpg.c7af90135097758f70ef69970b8c3164.jpg

1 minute ago, irisheileen said:

Thanks. I checked my settings and it looks like I already have Wi-Fi calling turned on. I have a screenshot of it below. Since it's already been on how do I test if it works?

Put the phone in Airplane Mode.  Turn on WiFi.  Try out everything you want to be able to do while at sea.

Woohoo I can graduate kindergarten I was successful and using Wi-Fi calling and video calling. For those that are following my screen then showed a little phone receiver with the Wi-Fi signal above it as well as the video call and that was a confirmation that I was on Wi-Fi. Thank you to everybody who has answered!