Celebrity Cruise Paris Shore Excursion

mary0

We will be on the Celebrity Reflection and looking at the Paris shore excursions from Le Havre. We have never been to Paris before and will only be there for maybe only 4 or 5 hours. Thinking about 'Paris Sightseeing without Lunch' which includes Seine River cruise or 'A Taste of Paris which includes sights and a couple of hours on our own. Which tour will we see more of Paris? Do you know if we will just be riding past the sights on a bus or walking?  We are fine with walking.

50 minutes ago, mary0 said:

We will be on the Celebrity Reflection and looking at the Paris shore excursions from Le Havre. We have never been to Paris before and will only be there for maybe only 4 or 5 hours. Thinking about 'Paris Sightseeing without Lunch' which includes Seine River cruise or 'A Taste of Paris which includes sights and a couple of hours on our own. Which tour will we see more of Paris? Do you know if we will just be riding past the sights on a bus or walking?  We are fine with walking.

Welcome to CC. You may also consider posting your question on the Ports Of Call Forum (Europe). Also join the Roll Call for your cruise (ship and sail date) and ask there. 

Edited by davekathy

5 hours ago, mary0 said:

Paris is a very tough city to see right even in a months time.  It's hard to answer your question  because I have no way of knowing what your tour will include. You could research Paris attractions and pick out something that you're interested in seeing 

With only 4 to 5 hrs, I would suggest getting the HOHO and ride all the routes and get off  at either Notre Dame or the Eiffel tower for cafe visit or whatever you decide.There are so many great buildings that are absolutely fantastic to see by themselves.

Usually those tours are a quick look/see event and have always left me wanting.

Enjoy the Reflection. She's a very beautiful ship.

Edited by JMorris271
Word change

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 8:00 PM, mary0 said:

Hard to tell for sure since Celebrity's tour descriptions are not very explicit. But it seems like you have a better chance of interior visits to a few sites with the "A Taste of Paris" rather than cruising by many of them on the "Paris Sightseeing without Lunch."

Of course, if you are into planning your own tours and want to do some research, you also have the option to take their "Paris 'On Your Own'" excursion with 4-hours on your own. That would be my personal choice.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

We did the "Paris on your own" bus tour in May 2018 from NCL. Fortunately, it was a lovely day in early May.

It didn't start well. We were the shortest trip to Paris on the tour schedule so had to wait until all the other Paris tours were out of the theater. That process made us late starting out so our time was shortened. 

"The lovely French countryside" on the way to Paris was really quite ordinary- think America's midwest. Our tour guide helped us get a cab to see Notre Dam which was not quite as grand as I expected. Very old, some interesting items in the interior, very crowded. My opinion may be because of the other outstanding churches I have seen in Europe.

We walked back to the bus along the Seine and attempted to see some other items such as the exterior of the Louvre. The bank of the Seine was often obstructed with wooden stalls selling souvenirs.  We knew we would be going past the Eiffel Tower on the bus, so didn't even attempt going there. Almost tripped over a homeless person laying ACROSS  the sidewalk.

We walked at a steady pace and had maybe 30 minutes to spare before the bus left. As the bus went past the Eiffel Tower, we heard sirens and the police ran out of their cars to chase protestors at the Eiffel Tower. There was smoke everywhere. Not sure what they were protesting this time.

So, was this rather expensive excursion worth it?  I'd say maybe since I have never had a desire to go to Paris.  I can at least say I've been there. I've been enthralled with most other European major cities from the start of a visit, but not this one. 

I'm not sorry we went,  and our major goal was to see Notre Dam. Was it worth it?  No, but it was "an experience."