Sea Screen on Azura

sandancer

On 12/3/2018 at 5:02 PM, Denarius said:

Have just received a message from P&O telling me that the screen will be out of action for my cruise beginning 11 Jan. Great news as far as I am concerned. I was not looking forward to that thing blaring out at me all day and night.

Lucky you.  Unfortunately we will not be boarding her until the latter part of the month.  Should you happen upon a small electronic part laying on deck while repairs are underway you would be doing many us a great service if you would throw it overboard.

Makes me laugh how people decide to book on a ship knowing what is on it. Then complain about what is on it!

If you don't like sea screen then sit/lie somewhere else or even cruise on a different ship. Everybody is different and people like different things, it's human nature. There are many things on the ship that are not my cup of tea, but I would not dream of trying to change them. Do the things that you like and respect others for what they like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vizeman said:

Makes me laugh how people decide to book on a ship knowing what is on it. Then complain about what is on it!

If you don't like sea screen then sit/lie somewhere else or even cruise on a different ship. Everybody is different and people like different things, it's human nature. There are many things on the ship that are not my cup of tea, but I would not dream of trying to change them. Do the things that you like and respect others for what they like.

Nay or yay discussions on CC can and do bring about change.  Mandatory tipping is but one example.  If a favoured ship has an impediment and one can muster enough objection to it to have a financial affect on the owner, the chances are it will be removed.  Perhaps in this case that has already been accomplished.

16 minutes ago, ONT-CA said:

Nay or yay discussions on CC can and do bring about change.  Mandatory tipping is but one example.  If a favoured ship has an impediment and one can muster enough objection to it to have a financial affect on the owner, the chances are it will be removed.  Perhaps in this case that has already been accomplished.

Unfortunately for you, I don’t think this time it has. It’s going to be refurbed. Unlucky!

• 1 month later...

Yes, it is. Cruised on her Jan 11th to 25th. During most of the cruise the SeaScreen was out of action as they stripped it all off and installed a new screen. It was back in action for the last few days when they showed films in the evening, and during the afternoon on sea days.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Yes, it is. Cruised on her Jan 11th to 25th. During most of the cruise the SeaScreen was out of action as they stripped it all off and installed a new screen. It was back in action for the last few days when they showed films in the evening, and during the afternoon on sea days.

Thats excellent news, thanks very much for the response 🙂 

I have never been able to understand, having sailed on Azura once and disliked her, why they do not give out headsets for the Seascreen, then you don't ruin a whole area for people who don't want to hear it.  It was so loud, you could hear it from the other pool where they were playing other music!!

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I have never been able to understand, having sailed on Azura once and disliked her, why they do not give out headsets for the Seascreen, then you don't ruin a whole area for people who don't want to hear it.  It was so loud, you could hear it from the other pool where they were playing other music!!

I’d wholeheartedly agree. A simple but effective idea. 

I found it fantastic and not too loud at all, it would be frustrating when you make the odd comment to whoever you are sat with if they had headphones on.

There is plenty of other areas on the ship to go to if it’s not for you.

Just my humble opinion 🙂

On 2/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, jeanlyon said:

I agree that when in use the seascreen was extremely loud. The saving grace however, was that it was only  in use from about 9:30 in the evening and during the afternoon on sea days, when feature films were shown.

Love the Seascreen, long may it stay 👍

If you don't like sit somewhere else, or go on a different ship.

After all, it's not as if it's just been introduced is it? People knew about it when they booked on the cruise.

• Like 1

No, I didn't know when I booked the ship that it would be blaring out all day.  And as for going to sit somewhere else, the next pool had loud music playing all day.  The Adult Only pool at the stern was out of order because the kids club had allowed little kids in it and someone had poo'ed in it!!

We found the ship very crowded, getting on and off was lengthy.  Now since we sailed, they may have toned it down.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

No, I didn't know when I booked the ship that it would be blaring out all day.  And as for going to sit somewhere else, the next pool had loud music playing all day.  The Adult Only pool at the stern was out of order because the kids club had allowed little kids in it and someone had poo'ed in it!!

We found the ship very crowded, getting on and off was lengthy.  Now since we sailed, they may have toned it down.

You may well be correct in your latter assumption. The Seascreen was a Princess feature which found its way to PO on Azura. It obviously divides opinion. P&O have noticably gone cold on the idea and have not included one on Britannia or Iona, and when we were tied up next to a similar Princess ship it was noticable that the screen was not being used on that ship as well. Perhaps it is now only being used for after dinner films and for matinee performances o in the afternoon on sea days, as it was on our cruise.

To be fair, until you’ve actually experienced the Sea Screen you have no real idea what it’s like.

We first experienced it on a trip to Iceland, and it was practically useless because it was too cold to sit outside.

It can be very loud and intrusive, and there’s no warning of that in the brochures or on the website.

44 minutes ago, docco said:

It can be very loud and intrusive, and there’s no warning of that in the brochures or on the website.

The only time I've ever seen a sea screen is when we were on Celebrity Silhouette in Kusadasi. We had decided to stay on the ship and were relaxing looking out over the mountains, cocktail in hand, reading a good book.

It was perfect.

Then the Royal Princess arrived (when she was new) and docked right by us blocking the view. The sea screen was blaring so loud that it could  be heard over the music around our pool area. Grrrrrr. Have never been so glad that we didn't book that ship. The music was very loud all day - even when most people must have been off the ship anyway.

We know that Azura has a sea screen but we are on a cruise to the Fjords, so we can't see it as a problem. I think I did my homework ages ago about whether or not we would hear it on our aft balcony. I suppose I just wasn't expecting the one on Azura to be going on all of the time ….. just part of the time …

6 minutes ago, Vizeman said:

The sea screen is up and running now. It was repaired a few weeks ago.

Not been to the Fjords myself, but I know on chilly nights they give you a blanket and popcorn whilst you enjoy the film.  However, there’s chilly and there’s chilly and I can imagine evenings in the Fjords in April can be very chilly.

perhaps someone who has done this trip on the past will be able to shed a little more light on this.

I think we may need more than a blanket and popcorn ---- possibly a nice double brandy …. or two

I can see the in cabin TV entertainment may beckon ..