Edge Villa... Now Not So Sure...

MaggieAtSea

Warning: completely "1st world" issue here!

We are booked in an Edge Villa in April... but, boy, were we surprised this week at the size of the cabin and, especially, the veranda, when the videos started to come out.  The dining table accommodating a tight 4 (as put by one travel agent) was the first surprise.  But then the veranda... the person on a second lounge chair LITERALLY has to crawl across the person/lounger of the other to access the hot tub or door to the room... and as was pointed out, even putting the loungers diagonally doesn't offer a solution.  Interesting choice of layout there.  Maybe it is, as my husband suggests, a way to push folks out of their own veranda and use the Retreat.  And the cost for a week in this accommodation is through the roof compared to our upcoming penthouse sailing on the post-"edged" Infinity in Europe this summer... and we know how expansive the indoor and outdoor spaces are with that accommodation.  We'll be watching reviews of this room, and the common spaces that accompany it, in the next few weeks before we put final money down for April.  

It was just a bit of surprise for us... feel free to agree or give me a "snap out of it" if you so wish!

• Haha 1

I would have expexted something pretty spectacular for what you are paying. It seems that an understanding of the use of personal outdoor space is a little lacking in Celebrity thinking. We have an aft S1 booked. I love to lie out at night and have been known to sleep outside. Not possible without a lounger.

• Like 1

I noticed the same thing when we saw the cabin last week. I would just move the loungers around a bit. This was the only suite that had reclining loungers, which I think is a mistake. The good part is you can access the retreat directly from a door on the 2nd floor. So you can pop in and out all day. Nice!

The bedroom is a 2nd floor loft. There is no wall above the bed, which IMO affects the privacy to some degree when sharing the cabin or when guests are there.  But the cabin is a knockout and I would book it for 2 people. 

I noticed the lounger problem while watching a video also. I can't be sure, but maybe you can rearrange the furniture a bit. Maybe move the rocker inside and put one lounger on the other side of the hot tub steps. Or you could possibly switch the rocker and the first lounger, that way there is seating but you still have access to the lounger next to the wall. Remember for the press cruise it's staged for photo and video, not necessarily real world usage. I hadn't paid attention to the mockups as I knew I'd never be in one, however, as I'm looking at the video the table isn't huge but it seems decent, there's another chair on the opposite side so you could do one person on the banquette and the other three in chairs all around the table. 

I  hope you enjoy the room and cruise should you decide to keep it.

It seemes very much like a 2-person suite once the photos came out. I’d book one for that but someone has to fix your balcony furniture situation.

We’re a Royal Suite later this week and are (TOTAL first world problem, as you say) slightly horrified at the mishmash of furniture in the living room, the big unnecessary black cube in the bathroom that I’m sure to walk right into at night, and the large heavy-looking coffee table on the smallish balcony that means I can’t sit next to my husband and chat. I was expecting the small balcony size but the furniture is beyond odd. It’s almost as if they pulled it from some interior space because the REAL furniture didn’t show up. 

Like this:

152C3312-2E01-4851-A6A4-0ECC2FF1B4AA.jpeg

Edited by DachshundsRule

2 hours ago, DachshundsRule said:

It seemes very much like a 2-person suite once the photos came out. I’d book one for that but someone has to fix your balcony furniture situation.

We’re a Royal Suite later this week and are (TOTAL first world problem, as you say) slightly horrified at the mishmash of furniture in the living room, the big unnecessary black cube in the bathroom that I’m sure to walk right into at night, and the large heavy-looking coffee table on the smallish balcony that means I can’t sit next to my husband and chat. I was expecting the small balcony size but the furniture is beyond odd. It’s almost as if they pulled it from some interior space because the REAL furniture didn’t show up. 

Like this:

152C3312-2E01-4851-A6A4-0ECC2FF1B4AA.jpeg

Yes the the large table on the balcony impeded walking around. But, you can you it as a foot rest. The black cube was not really in the way, as it was near the shower, which you would only walk by in the am. This was a really nice, spacious, luxurious, cabin. My DH Loved this cabin best. I often move the furniture around and would ask for a lounger once on board. 

5 hours ago, MaggieAtSea said:

We are booked in an Edge Villa in April... but, boy, were we surprised this week at the size of the cabin and, especially, the veranda, when the videos started to come out.  The dining table accommodating a tight 4 (as put by one travel agent) was the first surprise.  But then the veranda... the person on a second lounge chair LITERALLY has to crawl across the person/lounger of the other to access the hot tub or door to the room... and as was pointed out, even putting the loungers diagonally doesn't offer a solution.  Interesting choice of layout there.  Maybe it is, as my husband suggests, a way to push folks out of their own veranda and use the Retreat.  And the cost for a week in this accommodation is through the roof compared to our upcoming penthouse sailing on the post-"edged" Infinity in Europe this summer... and we know how expansive the indoor and outdoor spaces are with that accommodation.  We'll be watching reviews of this room, and the common spaces that accompany it, in the next few weeks before we put final money down for April.  

It was just a bit of surprise for us... feel free to agree or give me a "snap out of it" if you so wish!

I've already decided, I don't see to see any more pictures.  No Edge Villa for me.

Let's be honest, we're talking a cruise ship here, it's pretty much first world problems whichever category we're talking about.  Personally, I would not pay the price they're asking for that suite.  The ship looks lovely, but the outside space on the cabins needs some serious help.

The Edge Villas have direct access to the retreat as mentioned through a private door on the second floor....I don't think they were worrying about loungers and sunning on the terrace These are the only suites with a private hot tub or "plunge pool" which is what they actually call it....the space had to come out of somewhere. 

On 12/1/2018 at 9:07 PM, MaggieAtSea said:

Agree, we've booked a Celebrity Suite and Sky Suite, looking at the balcony- & interior furniture makes us  doubt as well. The Retreat looks nice, but for the Suites rate, we would have thought you would get sufficient decent furniture to retreat in, as a choice. At least you have a lounger on the balcony, in Sky suites there are only tiny chairs and mini-table just large enough for your cup of coffee/tea, and you have to bend over to grab it. No table and chairs inside, as shown on the initial images when we booked, instead they put a rocker in the room now. Alas, as you say,  completely "1st world" issues! We still have time to make a final decision...

Maggie, if you cancel your villa, we’ll take it!  Just boarded for our 3 days in the Edge Villa and are in love!  I don’t know what that travel agent was talking about - it is not cramped in here at all.  4 plus size adults can fit at the dining table.  Celebrity must have listened to the balcony feedback because the furniture was swapped - 2 lounge chairs perpendicular on the living room side with space in between to get in and out of both  and the couch by the plunge pool. The loft bedroom is private and can not be seen unless someone is up the staircase. The upstairs exit to the sun deck in fine-spacious “hallway” with privacy.  Don’t make any decisions based on pictures alone.  This room is fabulous!  I do miss the outdoor dining table because we usually love breakfast on the balcony but I’m not going to lose sleep over it.  

for reference purposes, we have sailed in Sky, Celebrity and Royal suite on S-class and loft suite on Royal Oasis class so we are not new to suite life.  

Off to to enjoy this amazing ship!  Will check back and answer any questions later.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stephanie, I appreciate your positive review! It is the FIRST one about the villas that I have read!

OK I just submitted a topic saying that we contacted our TA to cancel… But maybe will hold off a little bit until final payment is due to make our ultimate decision… Or maybe we will jump on one of the other ships I mentioned.

In the meantime though, Stephanie, sell us on the Villa! What more do you love about it?  What about the dining options applicable to your suite? Several past RS/PS passengers are grumbling about more limited menus in Luminae and elsewhere.  Even with premium bev package included, do you find the rising cost of drinks needing you to “kick in”?  

I’ll be looking for your posts, as will others who chimed in on this specific topic... so, please, have a great time and tell us all about the ship! 

Many thanks!

So it’s been a full 24 hours now and we are still as happy as clams.  We have to get used to all the up and down stairs since we live in a one level home. The views are amazing and there is soooo much natural light due to the corner windows.  I had seen a you tube video and it must have been filmed at night or on a cloudy day because it looked very closed in.  Not at all the case!  The ceilings are higher than normal too.  No matter where you are and which direction you face you have great views.  We love having 2 bathrooms and 2 nice bathrooms at that.  Both are spacious and the upstairs is large enough for 2. I had thought the single sink would be an issue but it’s not- there is plenty of vanity space.  Also the mirror over the sink  is on sliders so it opens up to the bedroom like the S1 sky suite.  But there are slats so it’s somewhat private but still let’s sunlight in.  The shower is nice and large. The tub we won’t use but looks nice if you are a tub person.  

There is an espresso machine in the room (similar to the Nespresso we have at home although this one is Lavazza) so we can have coffe immediately without waiting for room service or dressing and going to the lounge.  It was a little breezy this morning so we had breakfast at the table.  I honestly think you could fit 6 if you squeezed.  We love the convince of being right next to the Retreat lounge and sun deck-you just can’t beat the location.  Also I guess we have some priority when it comes to making reservations since everything is pretty booked up. We plan to use the patio pool later so nothing to report on that yet.  

I only have one negative thing so far and that’s the living room sofa.  It’s pretty firm.  At first I thought it might just need breaking since it’s new but I think it’s becasue it’s a sleeper.  We absolutely love the s-class Celebrity suite sofa-you just melt into it.  This one feels very upright-no napping there.  But that wouldn’t keep me from staying in this room again.

as for Luminae we don’t plan to eat there since it’s only 3 days and we want to try the new places. I was told everything was inclduded.  We had lunch at the rooftop garden grill and dinner at fine cut.  Fine cut was excellent and I’m actually going to see if we can get in again instead of Eden.  Garden grill was fine but we typically don’t like to eat that much for lunch.  Lunch is served on the retreat sundeck too which was not in any brochures. It’s the Luminae menu but nice to have the option to eat there without having to dress for the actual restaurant.  As far as drinks we haven’t run into any issues.  Eden has expensive ones but didn’t World Class Bar too?  We just don’t order those drinks.  There are plenty of other options.  I do find the wine choices limited but that’s the same on any celebrity ship I’ve been on.  

Hopefully this has has helped some and let me know if there are any more questions.  Now it’s off to the spa.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/1/2018 at 3:07 PM, MaggieAtSea said:

On 12/6/2018 at 1:54 PM, ATLgirl15 said:

Maggie, if you cancel your villa, we’ll take it!  Just boarded for our 3 days in the Edge Villa and are in love!  I don’t know what that travel agent was talking about - it is not cramped in here at all.  4 plus size adults can fit at the dining table.  Celebrity must have listened to the balcony feedback because the furniture was swapped - 2 lounge chairs perpendicular on the living room side with space in between to get in and out of both  and the couch by the plunge pool. The loft bedroom is private and can not be seen unless someone is up the staircase. The upstairs exit to the sun deck in fine-spacious “hallway” with privacy.  Don’t make any decisions based on pictures alone.  This room is fabulous!  I do miss the outdoor dining table because we usually love breakfast on the balcony but I’m not going to lose sleep over it.  

for reference purposes, we have sailed in Sky, Celebrity and Royal suite on S-class and loft suite on Royal Oasis class so we are not new to suite life.  

Off to to enjoy this amazing ship!  Will check back and answer any questions later.  

Hello—trying to figure out if the plunge pool is heated and is jacuzzi—I’ve seen it described both ways!

2 hours ago, renji said:

Hello—trying to figure out if the plunge pool is heated and is jacuzzi—I’ve seen it described both ways!

Yes the plunge pool is heated and is a jacuzzi.  But the heat only lasts for 2 or 3 hours.

Just let your room attendant know when you would like to use it so he/she can fill it up for you--I didn't time it but I recall it took at least an hour to fill.  Unlike a normal jacuzzi, they'll have to drain and refill each day to get it heated.

• Like 1

My wife and I spent 11 days in the Edge Villa on the Apex in November and just loved it. The perks of having the refrigerator filled each day with your preference of soft drinks, beer, and mixers is a great plus along with the two bottles of your favorite liquor.  My wife likes orange juice with tonic is the morning, and our butler delivered it each evening and placed it in the refrigerator.  There is also a separate wine refrigerator. The free laundry, pressing', dry cleaning, and included specialty restaurants are fantastic perks.  In our 11 days we only ate in the Luminae for one dinner because of the Luminae's limited menu.  The Fine Cut Steakhouse, Eden, and Raw on 5 were our favorite specialty restaurants. Another perk is the shoreside concierge, who will make all your specialty reservations along with other preferences prior to the cruise.  Once on board is is very easy to change the specialty restaurant reservations with the retreat concierge, which we did a number of times.  You can access the retreat sundeck from the Villa second floor and directly into the retreat lounge via the hallway from the villa first floor door.  It's very convenient to just pop down the hall and have a drink and hors d'oeurves in the retreat lounge pre dinner and an after-dinner drink that you can take to your room.  The hot tub / jacuzzi is more like a small swimming pool.  You need to plan when you want to use the hot tub / jacuzzi because it takes an at least an hour to fill and heat.  The temperature, jets, lights, and bubbles are controlled via a touch pad on the wall.  The hot tub / jacuzzi can probably hold 6 people comfortable and is a little over waist deep. We had our butler fill the hot tub / jacuzzi every day in the afternoon so it would be ready in the evening when we got back from dinner.  The verandah furniture placement was fine with us.  We had two loungers near the sliding door and a chair and loveseat near the hot tub / jacuzzi.  The two bathrooms with showers are a real plus as two people can be showering and getting ready either in the morning or per dinner.   There is an overabundance of closest space.  All of the blinds and curtains are electronically controlled along with lighting/

If you are mobility challenged, the stairs could be an issue for access to the master bedroom on the second floor.  Also, the retreat sundeck door from the second floor takes some effort to open when the ship is underway because of the wind. You need to be organized or have two of everything because it seemed that very time we left the villa there was something we needed on the other floor and required us to go up or down the stairs.  The villa sundeck is a large recessed hitch in the side of the ship and has no overhead sunscreen so the shade is based on the direction the ship is traveling or moored and the time of the day.

We are booked B2B2B on the Celebrity Edge in an Edge Villa from Civitavecchia - Dubai - Singapore - Sidney in the fall of 2023.  The Villa will spoil you.

The attached picture is from our bed.

IMG_4592.thumb.jpg.4cef8e8fb1e0604514696ed344fab1f6.jpg

Edited by tanzania2015
  • Like 2