Pre-cruise visit for 3 or 4 days: Montreal, Quebec or both?

ams cruiser

1 hour ago, arl_nocaps said:

WAS REFERING TO THE INTERCONTINENAL, MONTREAL---AN OCEANIA NYC-MONTREAL CRUISE SEPT 1, 2019.

THINKING THAT WITH CRUISE USING IT CHECK-IN COULD BE TERRIBLE.  

arleen

probably not any worse than any other busy hotel

not everyone takes the package deal or arrives at the same time

2 hours ago, arl_nocaps said:

WAS REFERING TO THE INTERCONTINENAL, MONTREAL

Ah, so you mean you've booked Springhill but are considering changing the reso to the Interconty. Springhill is closer to the pier, cheap, and busy, with a small reception - while I wouldn't say we ever faced terrible delays checking in or out if you have the budget for a bigger, fancier hotel then you will almost certainly get better/faster service at the latter.

The Montreal Interconty is a huge hotel with many desks for checking in, lots of staff, and they're a very business-focused hotel so they're used to patrons wanting speed/efficiency - if you genuinely have any concern about wasting a few minutes in reception you should make the change from Springhill to here. Consider dinner in Toque! - one of Montreal's most consistently excellent restos for many years - which is just across the street.

1 hour ago, arl_nocaps said:

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO --I AM HOLDING 2 RESERVATIONS --INTERCONTY LOOKING GOOD !

DO YOU LIKE THIS NEIGHBORHOOD  AS OPPOSED TO SAY THE  FAIRMONT ? 

arleen

There's not a huge difference between them, both central, though the Old Port (and the pier) are ~ a half mile closer to the Interconty than the Fairmont so if you plan to walk around there it might make a difference for you (OTOH, if you're heading up to Mont Royal the Fairmont becomes a bit more convenient so it really does depend what you plan to do which is most convenient).

If it's in your budget, the Gold floor of the Fairmont is IMO the best big hotel experience in Montreal - but in terms of premium over the Interconty unless you plan to seriously abuse the honour bar it's not worth paying more than a few bucks a night extra for;-)

2 hours ago, arl_nocaps said:

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO --I AM HOLDING 2 RESERVATIONS --INTERCONTY LOOKING GOOD !

DO YOU LIKE THIS NEIGHBORHOOD  AS OPPOSED TO SAY THE  FAIRMONT ? 

arleen

I’m not sure about your screen name, but just a gentle FYI that posting in all caps on a message board is considered to be shouting and rude. 

We are planning on a 3 night pre cruise visit in both Montreal and Quebec City. We already have our plane tickets, Via Rail tickets, VRBO in Montreal and hotel in QC booked. In QC we are staying at the Chateau Bellevue with quite a few other people from our Roll Call. I use Visit A City to make plans when we are staying in a new place, but the ferry is a great idea that I was not aware of! Thanks to all for your great ideas. Our cruise is not until October, so we have plenty of time to make all of our plans! 

On 12/3/2018 at 10:45 PM, martincath said:

For me the one definite must-do that many tourists seem unaware of is the commuter ferry across to the other side of the river - the only way to get the 'postcard' view of Old Quebec with the Fairmont 'castle' is from the Levis side! It's cheap, and even if you walk up the hill you could still get over and back in well under two hours (but consider staying over for dinner - tends to run a bit cheaper than the touristy side - and getting some sunset/nightime snaps as well as in full daylight).

Wonderful tip! Thank you! Does this ferry have a name? Where do you go to get on the ferry? Can you “walk on” as a passenger and does it run fairly regularly throughout the day/evening? Is there an online link to find out fees and schedule?  Thanks so much for mentioning this.

EDIT:

OOPS! I just noticed your post above #16 which answers my questions. I got so excited when I read your earlier post I made this inquiry. Thanks again for the info...

Edited by cpcanuck