Solstice Class Forward Facing OV Cabins

Cruise Raider

I am not very adept with using the search function since the change occurred on this site so will just have to ask the question.  

We are looking at possibly booking one of the forward facing cabins on deck 7 or 8  on one of the Solstice class ships.  These are category 7 Oceanview cabins that overlook the helipad.  We've heard these rooms are larger than the standard OV that can be found on deck 3 but are there any negatives to these cabins such a noise, vibration, undesirable location, etc?  Are the rooms on one deck better than the other (deck 7 or 8), like being over the theater, being under a maintenance room, etc.  

We had 8106 on Equinox and thought it was a great cabin.  Definitely larger and a great view of the helipad and when you are sailing into a port.  The only sound was the dropping of the anchor.

IMG_0004.thumb.jpg.1042104c5306a962eda13495db6c6647.jpgIMG_0010_2.thumb.jpg.5420c1d19f57ef8b73ec3ce93e8ef838.jpgIMG_0007.thumb.jpg.f8be0730a751efc0cc6582cfddb5b386.jpg  Note: It is one of the cabins behind an unmarked door

If you have any tender ports, you will experience a lot of noise and vibration as the lines and anchors are employed.   

If the seas are rough, you feel it more in these rooms than others.

As the ship hits waves, there is a deep booming noise.

you are far from elevators.

those are the negatives.

The square footage of the rooms is larger, however some of it is not usable because the ceiling is on such a slant.

12 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am not very adept with using the search function since the change occurred on this site so will just have to ask the question.  

We are looking at possibly booking one of the forward facing cabins on deck 7 or 8  on one of the Solstice class ships.  These are category 7 Oceanview cabins that overlook the helipad.  We've heard these rooms are larger than the standard OV that can be found on deck 3 but are there any negatives to these cabins such a noise, vibration, undesirable location, etc?  Are the rooms on one deck better than the other (deck 7 or 8), like being over the theater, being under a maintenance room, etc.  

We have stayed in the FVs several times that are on either end of the row of forward facing OV cabins.  The OV cabins on the end can be set up as connecting cabins to the FV that they are next to.  This means that they share a vestibule with the FV and a common outer door that leads out to the hallway.  It offers more privacy--visual and noise--from traffic in the hallways (although it is minimal at that part of the ship), but it does mean you have to open two doors to leave your cabin.

We liked the front location of the ship because it put us in close proximity to the theater, observation lounge (great for Elite cocktail hour), and the gym.  Going to the restaurants in the rear usually gave us an excellent excuse to walk along the outside deck to get to breakfast, lunch or dinner. 

Noise and vibration are present during port maneuvers (thrusters) or from the anchor if it is a tender port.  It did not bother us.

The front OV cabins are definitely blessed with more space because of its longer length--but as pointed out before, some of the floor space is less usable because of the low slanting ceiling.  But overall usable floor space is larger than a standard FV.

Edited by mahdnc

25 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We have stayed in the FVs several times that are on either end of the row of forward facing OV cabins.  The OV cabins on the end can be set up as connecting cabins to the FV that they are next to.  This means that they share a vestibule with the FV and a common outer door that leads out to the hallway.  It offers more privacy--visual and noise--from traffic in the hallways (although it is minimal at that part of the ship), but it does mean you have to open two doors to leave your cabin.

We liked the front location of the ship because it put us in close proximity to the theater, observation lounge (great for Elite cocktail hour), and the gym.  Going to the restaurants in the rear usually gave us an excellent excuse to walk along the outside deck to get to breakfast, lunch or dinner. 

Noise and vibration are present during port maneuvers (thrusters) or from the anchor if it is a tender port.  It did not bother us.

The front OV cabins are definitely blessed with more space because of its longer length--but as pointed out before, some of the floor space is less usable because of the low slanting ceiling.  But overall usable floor space is larger than a standard FV.

Very helpful information.  thank you so very much!  

We don't mind walking and a bit of port maneuvering really doesn't bother us much either.  I was more worried about constant motion that could contribute to sea sickness ... guess that all depends on the itinerary, though.  

thanks again!  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Very helpful information.  thank you so very much!  

We don't mind walking and a bit of port maneuvering really doesn't bother us much either.  I was more worried about constant motion that could contribute to sea sickness ... guess that all depends on the itinerary, though.  

thanks again!  

Just a correction in my last sentence I meant to say that the forward facing OVs have more usable floor space than a standard OV (I erronously wrote FV in my post).

As far a motion is concerned, your mileage will vary.  So far we have spent 45 nights in the forward cabins on S class.  There is one day that I can recall that my 2 kids and I got sea sick.  

05576C31-2687-4DBF-BED3-4729FC3E3D07.jpeg

Seasickness befalls my kids in our Eclipse forward cabin on Jan 6 2015

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

You have to be thank fully your children do not look at cruise critic - my children would kill me if I posted a picture like this!!!

We have been in the front on an M class ship.  If your trip tenders you will definitely be awoken by the noise.  Other than that we didn't suffer at all.  I have avoided since.  

• Like 1

We've stayed in them on both the 7th and 8th deck.

We wouldn't do the 7th deck again. It was very noisy. There is a metal crew stair right outside the room, which is loudly used all times of the day and night. Not only did it overlook the Hellipad, it also overlooks a crew bar which is underneath.

The 8th deck didn't have any of these problems. There's the banging of the waves against the bow and the noise when docking, but that doesn't matter to us. We'd do this one anytime.

No sea sickness for either  of us and the waves were quite high a few nights.

17 hours ago, CRZR58 said:

We've stayed in them on both the 7th and 8th deck.

We wouldn't do the 7th deck again. It was very noisy. There is a metal crew stair right outside the room, which is loudly used all times of the day and night. Not only did it overlook the Hellipad, it also overlooks a crew bar which is underneath.

The 8th deck didn't have any of these problems. There's the banging of the waves against the bow and the noise when docking, but that doesn't matter to us. We'd do this one anytime.

No sea sickness for either  of us and the waves were quite high a few nights.

Good to know.  thanks!!  

The 7th floor is the worst cabin I've had in 15+ cruises. The noise was caused by crew members constantly going outside to smoke (especially from 1am to 5am). Anchor noise is also a problem but not as much as the slamming of the heavy metal door directly below. Avoid the 7th floor at all costs.

22 hours ago, ericftaylor said:

The 7th floor is the worst cabin I've had in 15+ cruises. The noise was caused by crew members constantly going outside to smoke (especially from 1am to 5am). Anchor noise is also a problem but not as much as the slamming of the heavy metal door directly below. Avoid the 7th floor at all costs.

Thanks for everyone's advice.  I have decided to stick to one of the Cat 7 cabins on deck 3.  We've been there before and it is so very convenient for us.  I was pie eyed at looking at the larger cabins but think the noise issues would bring me back down to earth in no time flat.  Plus, I do suffer from sea sickness on occasion ... so midship is probably a better option.