Cabin changed

kimmiann99

I called carnival earlier this evening to inquire about upgrading our cabin. The price was too expensive so IND cated we would just keep the cabin that we have. When I checked online they did the upgrade anyway which is over $350 more. I was getting ready to make our final payment. I called carnival and they said that the cabin that we had had already been sold, that from the notes I made the upgrade which I did not, and that there was nothing they could do about it. any suggestions on how to handle this issue as the additional funds are outside of the budget we had for our cruise

Is there other cabins in the area of your original cabin that they could switch you to?  If not and you don't want to go the upsell, your only recourse would be to cancel and book on another ship.  You might try speaking to a supervisor but there's no guarantee that they could help you if the ship is already sold out.

I would definitely call back and ask to speak to a supervisor as Dick suggests and explain what happened, that you did not authorize the upgrade.  Depending on how close you are to your sail date they may be able to find a cabin at your original price and I would also ask how you can be put on a waiting list to go back to your prior cabin level if someone else cancels.

Even if they can't move your or refund this money, they may be able to give you a partial onboard credit as compensation, which, believe me, you can easily spend on any cruise.   If this is your first one you may be surprised at all of the opportunities to exceed your budget, which I believe happens to all but the most disciplined frugal practitioners; in other words, you likely would have spent a good part of the $350 anyway, and so this could be a way to adjust how the same money is spent.

Examples:  a soda or a cocktail or three, shore excursions, photos, gratuities, upgraded entrees in the dining room or specialty restaurants - Carnival ships usually have a little coffee shop with upcharge beverages and pastries, internet packages or even just the Hub App texting program, spa services, late night babysitting, shopping onboard. 

I'm kinda surprised they did that, I almost accepted an upgrade a few months ago, but they wanted me to pay the upgrade fee right then and there, I didn't have the money available at that time and my final date isn't until February, so I declined the offer and figured it really wasn't worth it anyways.

Did you tell them "no thanks" while you were on the phone? If so they tell you call is being recorded so call back and speak to a supervisor and tell them to go back and listen to recording. Since it was their mistake they will have to clear it up somehow.

Maybe give you upgrade for free or at least "find" you a cabin same category and area as original. Good luck!

• Like 1

Any time there is a change to a booking you receive a new booking confirmation in your email.  I'm wondering why the OP didn't notice this?  I check my booking at least once per month if for no other reason to make sure my most recent payment has been posted.

I have a PVP and even though she is really good, I still send and email to her after our phone conversation just to document what we discussed and any changes that were accepted or declined.

9 minutes ago, okgirl said:

Any time there is a change to a booking you receive a new booking confirmation in your email.  I'm wondering why the OP didn't notice this? 

You are right.  She should of received that confirmation email.

Trying to access any recorded conversation is destined to fail.  Even if you had a court order the company would stonewall the effort so long that the cruise will be history before it would happen.

I would cancel the booking and hope for an available cabin after final payment.  Or find another sailing and book it.

Also, definitely register your experience with Carnival.  You may get some OBC as others mentioned.

Did you note the name of the person you spoke with?  Be sure to do so in the future.

While I am not a fan of the PVP arrangement it is true that using either a PVP or a Travel Agent would have lessened the likelihood of this happening.

3 hours ago, camijo said:

You are right.  She should of received that confirmation email.

2 hours ago, Jeni99 said:

Oh wow! For sure call today and talk to a supervisor and ask if the call was recorded. Atleast than they will know you are serious. Let us know how you make out!

I don’t check my email often so maybe she doesn’t either 

3 hours ago, thinfool said:

Trying to access any recorded conversation is destined to fail.  Even if you had a court order the company would stonewall the effort so long that the cruise will be history before it would happen.

I would cancel the booking and hope for an available cabin after final payment.  Or find another sailing and book it.

Also, definitely register your experience with Carnival.  You may get some OBC as others mentioned.

Did you note the name of the person you spoke with?  Be sure to do so in the future.

While I am not a fan of the PVP arrangement it is true that using either a PVP or a Travel Agent would have lessened the likelihood of this happening.

I know this is a silly rookie question but what is a pvp?

No email confirmation received.  I spent over 40 minutes on the phone this morning, they were supposed to be either reducing the price or changing us to another cabin for the original price only for them to come back and say that the person I talked to last night is researching and will call me back.  We were originally in an 8F and I was willing to downgrade to an 8C to just get the pricing right.

14 hours ago, kimmiann99 said:

I called carnival earlier this evening to inquire about upgrading our cabin. The price was too expensive so IND cated we would just keep the cabin that we have. When I checked online they did the upgrade anyway which is over $350 more. I was getting ready to make our final payment. I called carnival and they said that the cabin that we had had already been sold, that from the notes I made the upgrade which I did not, and that there was nothing they could do about it. any suggestions on how to handle this issue as the additional funds are outside of the budget we had for our cruise

If Carnival made the upgrade, they should have sent you a confirmation e-mail with the upgrade.  There should be a notation with Carnival of which representative made the upgrade.  Call Carnival Corporate.  It's worth it.

16 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Personal Vacation Planner.  Basically a salaried, in house travel agent employed by Carnival.

Thanks good to know.  Actually probably will use one on next cruise.  Taking my first in March.  Sounds like that would be the way to go. 

2 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

If Carnival made the upgrade, they should have sent you a confirmation e-mail with the upgrade.  There should be a notation with Carnival of which representative made the upgrade.  Call Carnival Corporate.  It's worth it.i 

No confirmation email received.  Last email received on the booking was 10/24.  I haven't been able to find a corporate number.  Just going through the regular 800 number.

37 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

I know this is a silly rookie question but what is a pvp?

I work for a car company as customer service.  Any time there is a change to a customer's profile, my name is documented.  I am certain that the representative's name is documented.  Timeshare representatives do this too.

28 minutes ago, kimmiann99 said:

Yes her name is documented.  But they are saying her notes say I changed booking which I did not.  That's why they are supposed to be reviewing the recording if it was captured.

Tell them that you didn't get your new booking information via email, check your spam folder as well.  That should of been emailed and usually they confirm receipt of that email before hanging up.

Edited by camijo

3 minutes ago, camijo said:

Tell them that you didn't get your new booking information via email, check your spam folder as well.  That should of been emailed and usually they confirm receipt of that email before hanging up.

I did tell them.  I checked spam and promo and no emails.  They said I have to wait until Latoya reviews it.  Supposedly she is the supervisor I spoke with last night.  She was not in yet when I called today.  It's very frustrating because they are so unhelpful

• Like 1