Just changed from Dawn to Getaway--good move?

KKB

Taking our young adult children next December. 

Had originally booked the Dawn OV with 4 perks plus some OBC out of Tampa. 

Looking at the ship--size & offerings--I felt that a larger ship would entertain them more. 

They have cruised several times on a few different lines, tho only DS23 has done NCL. (DH & I have cruised a dozen times on several lines but never NCL).

We are on the Anthem this December. 

DS23 cruised the Dawn & when I asked if we would like NCL he said it isn't as nice as the other lines we have done (DCL, RCCL, Princess & Celebrity) but still a good cruise.

Changing to the Getaway we moved to Interiors, were able to keep the drink package (honestly the other perks weren't a big deal) & OBC. No OV for 3 available, & balconies were going to run us $1K more for each cabin, we figured we aren't in our room that much anyway--that $2K could cover air to New Orleans.

I feel good about our decision.

Curious if anyone has cruised these 2 ships & can give a comparison. 

Or compare NCL to the other lines we have done, if you have done both.

THANKS!

I personally think it's a good switch.

We've just been on Jade (that broke down) and there was NOTHING to do for young adults or kids, other than pool or hot tubs.

We booked a make up cruise on Getaway and will be sailing next week. I see that it has a lot more to offer. I'll report back after Christmas.

We've been on the Dawn a few times and only because it's convenient for us to sail out of Boston to Bermuda.  Luckily we won't have to go on her one more time as the Gem is replacing her in Boston.  I like NCL, but the Dawn is lacking...  I've not been on the Getaway but have read up on her and think you made a good choice to switch.

We have done Breakaway (sister ship to Getaway) and Dawn, and much preferred the Breakaway. The Dawn seemed a bit sleepier, and we found ourselves bored at times. We loved the piano bar and comedy club on Breakaway, and spent a lot of time hanging out there in the evening. The Dawn seemed to lack evening hang-out spots that weren't completely empty. I don't think I'd do one of the smaller ships again. I prefer the activities available on the bigger ships.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KKB said:

I feel good about our decision. 

That's the important thing. I've done the Breakaway and the Dawn, and although I like both, there will be more to do on the Getaway.

Edited by dcipjr

I prefer the Dawn. The Getaway is simply too big. I would not have made the change. I don't think kOP gained much of anything and lost a much better cabin. Asa far as more to do, unless you want the ropes course or water slides the activities are about the same. The thermal spa on dawn is much nicer.

Edited by zqvol