POA - NaPali Coast still being cancelled

clover18

Just learning that those on the 12/8 POA sailing received email from NCL saying the NaPali coast is off the schedule due to scheduled maintenance and they will leave Kauai at 5:30. Passengers are being given $100 OBC as compensation. We are scheduled for 12/29 and suspect that will receive a similar email in the next week or so. What a bummer.

1 minute ago, zqvol said:

Don't you overnight in Kuaui? If so, take a snorkel cruise along the coast, much better than the views from the ship.

Thanks for the tip. I will look into that. Have not received notification that our 12/29 sailing will be affected by this issue, but definitely want to be prepared!

The NaPali cruise by is beautiful, but it is just a cruise by. I agree with the others: go drive Waimea Canyon - amazing. 

If you're really wanting to see the NaPali coast from the sea, you can do a helicopter tour or find boat tours (the latter including snorkeling, as mentioned above).

3 hours ago, clover18 said:

Just learning that those on the 12/8 POA sailing received email from NCL saying the NaPali coast is off the schedule due to scheduled maintenance and they will leave Kauai at 5:30. Passengers are being given $100 OBC as compensation. We are scheduled for 12/29 and suspect that will receive a similar email in the next week or so. What a bummer.

So,,, you are hoping that the maint that they are doing on 12/8 will be still in progress 3 weeks later?  Why not be happy that you didn’t get an email changing your itinerary. 

2 hours ago, VideoTech said:

The NaPali cruise by is beautiful, but it is just a cruise by. I agree with the others: go drive Waimea Canyon - amazing. 

If you're really wanting to see the NaPali coast from the sea, you can do a helicopter tour or find boat tours (the latter including snorkeling, as mentioned above).

I second heli ride, we did it and it was breathtaking.

3 hours ago, VideoTech said:

Great idea - BUT - not within the original planned budget - a FREE cruise by - part of the original itinerary !

Best least expensive take shore excursion or rent-a-car and drive to the top of the Na Pali cliffs - Kalalau Lookout -

passing Waimea Canyon (Grand Canyon of the Pacific) do this on one day - the other drive to Hanalei/Princeville.

This (scheduled) maintenance thing is getting to be just that an all too often SCHEDULED thing cancelling the

cruise by Na Pali.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings to the OP -- wondering if you heard from NCL about the cancellation of the NaPali coast cruise-by that you feared for your cruise starting today.....realize you may not see this til after you are back home with normal IT access!

We were on the 11/3 Sailing and it was cancelled then- it was previously cancelled 2-3 sailing before that, it appears mainly due to lifeboat issues on the starboard side.. we had gotten a $100. shipboard credit upon checking in at the embarkation and were never notified before that time.  We had already had a helicopter tour scheduled for that island.. the Na'Pali coast is an amazing sight..not to be missed... Enjoy 

On 12/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, BirdTravels said:

So,,, you are hoping that the maint that they are doing on 12/8 will be still in progress 3 weeks later?  Why not be happy that you didn’t get an email changing your itinerary. 

No. Although I am “Hoping”for an upgrade. Im “Planning” for contingencies based on existing information with respect to the aforementioned maintenance issue that has been happening since late October and still hasn’t been resolved. 

11 minutes ago, clover18 said:

We are boarding today. No notifications and someone posted a short video of the NaPali sail-by from about a week ago -12/15 sailing. So I think we are good to go

Please let us know if you hear of any future itinerary changes.  We board the POA  on 1/19/2019.  Happy sailing!