Transatlantic Review - Symphony of the Seas

Georgeven

We´re a gay couple from Norway (early 40´s)and this was our 19th cruise overall but FIRST transatlantic... we tried Harmony some years ago and loved it and wanted to try the Symphony + TA. We started booking a Central Park view cabin and upgraded to a Junior Suite and then to a Grand Suite. It was a good a deal, so we went for it.

PRE-CRUISE: One night in Barcelona, stayed in the Acta Mimic Hotel, close to the port, good for a one night sleep.

EMBARKATION: Fastest embarkation ever. we did the online thing, uploaded pictures and at the port they just scanned our sailing passes and Boom... om board in less than five.

SHIP: Symphony is just Amazing... the amount of art  pieces around is just incredible. Layout is perfect, that you dodn't feel the crowd around. Loved the ship overall.

CABIN: we ended up upgrading ourselves to a Grand Suite slowly slowly, cabin 7254; just Amazing... loved the  layout. Incredible amounts of storage space. Bathrom size perfect. Location was just perfection... close to elevators, close the the entertainment decks. 

SUITE CLASS PERKS: Grand Suite Cabin gives you Sky Suite Class perks: Concierge Service, All Day Access to Coastal Kitchen with reservations, Specialty Bottled Water (upon arrival), Complimentary VOOM, Priority Boarding and Departure, Priority Dining Reservations, Reserved Seating Area in Select Entertainment Venues, Suite Lounge Access (complimentary hors d’oeuvres and cocktails each evening), Access to Suite Sun Deck, Spa Bathrobes for Use Onboard, Luxury Pillow Top Mattress, Luxury Bathroom Amenities by L’Occitane. The concierge (Rahul) was amazing and fixed everything we needed in a very efficient way, the first day we just brought him a plan we wanted for our dining reservations (specialty and Coastal kitchen) and he took care of that in just few hours. The suite lounge is really a place to enjoy and relax, in our sailing there were a lot of Pinnacles (around 250) and therefore it was always crowded during the day and it kinf of annoyed us, but whatever that was not going to disturb our holiday. The only thing we missed in this suite class is having a buttler or kind of an upgraded Stateroom attendant but we managed well. Suite Sun deck with a bar and jacuzzi: perfection. Room Service, free for Suite guest (star and Sky class) but even paying for it I would order, the menu is much better now...

DINING:

• Coastal kitchen: As part of the Suite perks, we had access to  CK as our main restaurant. In general we loved CK, the dinner menu changes everyday (at least  for the first seven days), breakfast and lunch menus didnt change daily but t it was great we loved every single meal. The staff made its best to make us feel welcome and at home.
  • Windjammer: Very good and varied selection for lunch (when we were there), good quality and tastes, also good service from the waiters.
  • 150 Central Park:  This was our choice for the first night and it was a train wreck, dinner for the two of us took around 2,5 hours and we waited almost an hour between started and main without having contact with the waiter at all, like if we were forgotten... then the waiter shows up and gives up a excuse aboput some problems in the kitchen and asked us to wait a little bit more... we did, the food came and the steaks were raw, even if Iasked a medium -raw it was still cold inside... whatever we decided to not make a problem of it, eated some of it and hqad dessert and that was it.
  • Chops Grille: It was good, good steaks, good service but nothing to brag about. being this the most "signature" restaurant from RCCL, they should do better.
  • Jamies's Italian: One of our favorites, so good at every level that we visited it twice during the cruise. The menu, the quality of the food and the service were some of the best during all the cruise.
  • Hooked: one of the new kids in town of the RCCL restaurants... perfection at every level... The food, service, the design of the restaurant... Just do yourself a favor if you liek seafood and eat there.
  • Wonderland: Incredible dinner, good service and amazing entertainment now with a mad hatter going around interacting with the tables while you enjoy dinner.
  • Solarium Bistro: loved the concept and easy delicious buffet dinner.
  • Johnny Rockets: easy going dinner but it was slowly with an almost empty restaurant.
  • Playmaker's (for dining): BEST BURGERS EVER. period.
  • El Loco Fresh: if you like (or love) Mexican food just go there, easy lunch and delicous and fresh and and and and.... Guacamole... burritos... Carnitas...

BARS: as said, we bought the premium drinking package and we found it is still worth it. In general we found the service around all bars to be good with no long waiting. Best bar for us as the English pub...

ENTERTAINMENT: NO SPOILERS: just go and enjoy and the shows... everything... Symphony entertainment team does a great job overall and the shows are some of the best productions we have ever seen on a ship

SERVICE: I would say the service all around the ship was great.

SHORE EXCURSIONS DESK: we didn´t use this so will not comment on that.

CRUISE NEXT OFFICE: they did their job and we booked two future cruises with very good deals and promos

DEPARTURE: VERY CAOTHIC PERIOD, the shuffle to the airport was kind of crazy and not organized at all.

CONCLUSSION: we would definitely and easily sail again in the Symphony but not in Suite Class, it was great, and we loved it but comparing with other suite programs (Celebrity and NCL) you get less for your money...

If you may have some questions... just ask :-)

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0590.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maggieq said:

We got a certificate noting we were  on this cruise. Perhaps I misunderstood but I really thought we would get something other than a certificate to commemorate the occasion ?

A certificate is all we have received for a transatlantic cruise.

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

We got a certificate noting we were  on this cruise. Perhaps I misunderstood but I really thought we would get something other than a certificate to commemorate the occasion ?

It all went to the Pinnacles 😉

• Haha 1

With 2600 Diamond and above on this cruise, they treated us well. Opened up The Attic and Jazz On 4 during happy hour and allowed free premium coffee at all venues that served it all day.  

The only thing lacking was the skill of our room steward’s towel art ability. 

One of his better works....

737DB988-7BB7-4E41-87CF-F2F1B3AAE587.png

On 12/7/2018 at 8:01 PM, HicksRA said:

With 2600 Diamond and above on this cruise, they treated us well. Opened up The Attic and Jazz On 4 during happy hour and allowed free premium coffee at all venues that served it all day.  

The only thing lacking was the skill of our room steward’s towel art ability. 

One of his better works....

737DB988-7BB7-4E41-87CF-F2F1B3AAE587.png

I felt like they went over and above for the Diamond and above.  Free transport to Disney Springs was nice and not expected.  Since, John, decided to leave us high and dry it was a nice way to spend the day.

Bought a nice pair of tennis shoes

thanks john

jc

I must say the level of flowriding talent on this sailing was off the charts.  I am pretty fair, and I was embarrassed at times to be on the waves.  There must have been 25 riders who were all excellent.

I held my own, but wow.  

JC