QE2 Atlantic Crossings - 2 Jan and 21 Apr 2007

dougnewmanatsea

Hello Captaintandem and Mrs. Captaintandem! It's good to see your posting, and I'm sure hoping that you two are on the April crossing. How are things up north?

Confetti sends her best too!

B.T.W. both Confetti and I are in that video too. I finally made it!;)

Calliope, it is really good to hear from you, and to once again be reminded of your and Confetti's warm and gracious company. We really enjoyed meeting her! I do hope our paths cross again in the future. Meeting you both was one of the highlights of our Winter Crossing on QE2 this year.

This was our 1st Winter Crossing and we hope to do as many as we can. Each time tandemtourer has tried to post a review of the crossing she has decided that she cannot add to the eloquent comments already expressed. Eroller couldn't have been more accurate when he termed it "A Voyage of Superlatives". The ship, the lecturers, and, most of all, the company of our fellow Crossers were truly exceptional. Tandemtourer has mentioned that to her it was like being a guest at an English country house. Around each corner we would encounter beautifully gowned ladies and witty and debonair gentlemen all of whom we came to consider as new friends.

We are looking for a way to sign on for next January. Having said that, we are currently planning for the Spring crossing. We look forward to seeing you again, meeting Chuck and hearing of your Maiden voyage on the Queen Victoria.

B.T.W. both Confetti and I are in that video too. I finally made it!

Rumor has it that tandemtourer and I also appear in that video. If that's true we are delighted to be in a production which features most of the members of the 2005 Winter Crossing thread.

We are looking for a way to sign on for next January. Having said that, we are currently planning for the Spring crossing.

Dear Tandems:

Would you blame me if I said that I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to make the Spring crossing ????

Knowing how much you both love QE2, my true wish is only that you make one of the two voyages....but a guy can hope, can't he ???

Best from Jan

Tom:)

Yes, I'm very happy to report that the the Tandems are shown out on the Queen's Room dance floor cutting a rug. Not just once are you shown, but a couple of times in the video!

Thanks, for your kind remarks about Confetti and my company! It was easy with such wonderful other company present!:)

Ok sfo-john I must now proclaim that you were one of the most debonair of our party! Of course, every gentleman in the Champagne Bar wore their black tie as if it were as comfortable as most find their velour track suits. However, on that first day out of New York while we were wondering what had happened to our Ocean Liner, we have a photo of you standing outside the Lido with a beaker of tea, surrounded by world cruisers already working on their tans, with you, sfo-john, looking most natty in a button down shirt, jeans and sport coat!

We do hope to see you on board.

Memo to self: post photos of our crossing.

Mrs. Captaintandem, also known as Tandemtourer

Transatlantic only for Paul and Marya, who remember their stormy (early) April QE 2 eastbound crossing on the final leg of her first round-the-world voyage. There was even snow on the deck!

Let's hope for some heavy weather (and no run south to the Azores) during the April '07 crossing. Put up the ropes and break out the brandy.

I happen to have one of those jobs where I just am not able to take vacations between January 1 and April 30 - yes I work in accounting/taxes. Its always so depressing to see everyone rave about the rare QE2 transatlantics knowing they only seem to occur at this particular time of year. I'm afraid that if I want to do the QE2 before she goes I'll have to book a cruise on her rather than a transatlantic. To those able to do it I say have fun and enjoy the trip! Anyone lucky enough to be able to do this run should enjoy it to the max and live out what is left of this historic liner!

Ok sfo-john I must now proclaim that you were one of the most debonair of our party! Of course, every gentleman in the Champagne Bar wore their black tie as if it were as comfortable as most find their velour track suits. However, on that first day out of New York while we were wondering what had happened to our Ocean Liner, we have a photo of you standing outside the Lido with a beaker of tea, surrounded by world cruisers already working on their tans, with you, sfo-john, looking most natty in a button down shirt, jeans and sport coat!

We do hope to see you on board.

Hi Rebecca! Thanks for the compliment, though I will say that I never expected it to be that warm in NY in January and even for the day it took to get to Ft Lauderdale, hence the "crossing clothes".

I'll second Richard's thought and hope for some rougher weather on the April crossing.

John:

You know the attitude that Jan & I have about your plans: we're waiting with anticipation to see your message -as well as that of Rebecca & Tom- saying that you have in fact booked for April 2007 !!! We'll have to keep on adding encouraging items to this thread to push you over the edge vis-a-vis making your reservation !! Just think, exactly one year from today, you'll be practically breathless with excitement....you too, dear Tandems !!!!

Richard:

Yes, let's hope that there are NO course deviations to the south next April. As I know Jan & I have told you, the roughest weather we've EVER had aboard QE2 was day 1, WB April 2004. We slowed down to approx. 10 knots at one point (as did QM2, a couple of days ahead of us, making her maiden voyage to NY).

Bram:

QE2 departs SOTON after April 15th next spring...can't you manage to sneak out of the office and make the sailing ???

Tom

Hi Tom:

I guess I was feeling a little sorry for myself and just a tad bit jealous. No unfortunately the last few weeks of April are a no-no around here as that is definitely our busiest time. I'd probably have more luck out of making a deal with the devil on an early January crossing than the April one. Thanks for asking anyway. I'll live vicariously through the reports that come in. However, who knows................miracles can occur.

Thinking about going to Ireland for a couple of days before we board in January. Met some US expats who live in Ireland now and they thought it would be nice to visit for New Year's.

Now the problem-luggage weight restrictions. We are ok from the US to Ireland, but would have to pay a lot for excess from Ireland to London. So I thought-why not a ferry, the train, some other mode of transport???

Our friends will pick us up at the Shannon airport. They could drive us to Cork to catch the train to the ferry. How do we get to Southampton from the ferry port in the UK? Is this even an option??? Suggestions??? Thanks

Gina

• 2 weeks later...
How do we get to Southampton from the ferry port in the UK? Is this even an option??? Suggestions??? Thanks

Gina

Where does your ferry from Ireland Dock in the UK? If you are crossing Rosslare to Fishguard then get a Great Western Train direct to London Paddington, taxi to London Waterloo and then South West Trains to Southampton would be my solution. First Class is very comfortable (with dining cars on some services), there are through trains to London (not many! try not to change, the local train to Swansea where you would change for the Great Western London express is not comfortable and has no first class so check timetables first). Another alternative would be to catch the London train but get off at Reading and then take the Virgin train (also with first class) from there direct to Southanpton.

Pepper.

Today I tried (again) to book April 21-29, 2007 QE2 Southampton-Ft Laud with Cunard in the U.S. and then the U.K. Both told me that the segment is shown but it is not bookable. It does not show "sold out" or "wait list". I then had them check the Southampton round trip for the category we sail in on QE2 and was told "guarantee" basis only, so there are obviously staterooms and Cunard is trying to sell the longer voyage. A few weeks ago my travel agent, who generally has "pull" and doesn't give up, requested in writing a waiver from Cunard so they would sell us the SH-FLL space. They wrote back that it was only for those doing the entire world cruise (ending in Ft. Laud) or for those doing the long Southampton round trip. SO FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BOOK SH-FLL April 21-29, HOW DID YOU DO IT AND WHEN DID YOU DO IT? Thanks!

Please add me to the list for the April 2007 crossing, Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale. My first time on Cunard!

Claudia

Claudia:

Give me a day or two - I will most definitely add you to the list !! "Welcome aboard" !!!

I hope that you enjoy QE2 !

Tom

January 2007 QE2 Transatlantic Crossing

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Transat Jon (Jon)

* Greatam (Gina & Dennis)

* Juliecat (Julia)

* Planetcadillac (Craig)

* Capeboy96 (Rob)

April 2007 QE2 Transatlantic Crossing

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Skipperette (Jan) & Transatlantic Tom (Tom)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Flandre58 (Paul & Marya)

* Bobby1119 (Bobby)

* Jim Avery (Jim & Lois)

* Penlady (Elizabeth)

* Richard Schmidt

* Bow Thrusters (Mike & James)

* DDR (Dave)

* Venicecruiser (Claudia)

* Kryos (Rita)

Since there seems to be a recent swell in pax numbers for the April crossing, I feel the need to come clean about the fact that I've been booked on the QE2 January crossing since my QM2 voyage in February/March...

I love when people get that quizzical look, always prefaced by the query: "Why would you want to cross AT THAT TIME OF YEAR!" :eek: My answer, feigning complete seriousness/ignorance, in deadpan: Well, the weather is always really wonderful on the North Atlantic that time of year... :D (And in my opinion it is!!) Needless to say, the conversation usually ends in the same confusion it began. :rolleyes:

SO... Please add John and Shawn to the list for the 2 January 2007 crossing! And thanks to Transat Tom for keeping track of all this.

I look forward to getting to know more about QE2, and the cruisecritic.com group travelling on her, in the next few months.

Regards,

John

I love when people get that quizzical look, always prefaced by the query: "Why would you want to cross AT THAT TIME OF YEAR!" :eek: My answer, feigning complete seriousness/ignorance, in deadpan: Well, the weather is always really wonderful on the North Atlantic that time of year... :D (And in my opinion it is!!) Needless to say, the conversation usually ends in the same confusion it began. :rolleyes:

Ha! You fit right in already! Welcome, John and Shawn!

Chris in PA Wilds

Archived