QE2 Atlantic Crossings - 2 Jan and 21 Apr 2007

dougnewmanatsea

Transat Tom: Please remove us (John and Joanne) from the April '07 crossing. Sadly, we've had to cancel our reservation with Cunard, but our hearts will be with all of you as your cross the Big Pond. If things change at this end and we can make the crossing with all of you, we'll let you know.

John & Joanne:

I'm sorry to hear that you've had to cancel. I'll keep my fingers crossed, hoping that -circumstances allowing- you may be able to rebook at a later date. It's long time between now and next April so one never knows...

If things change, I'd be delighted to put you back on the list !!

Best wishes -

Tom

January 2007 QE2 Transatlantic Crossing

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Transat Jon (Jon)

* Greatam (Gina & Dennis)

* Juliecat (Julia)

* Planet Cadillac (Craig)

April 2007 QE2 Transatlantic Crossing

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Skipperette (Jan) & Transatlantic Tom (Tom)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Johnsy81 (John & Joanne)

* Flandre58 (Paul & Marya)

* Bobby1119

* Jim Avery (Jim & Lois)

* Penlady (Elizabeth)

* Richard Schmidt

* Bow Thrusters (Mike & James)

Tom,

I have never been aboard with CruiseCritic members. Who "organizes" a get together? Do you do that or is it done through the QE2 cruise director? Also, I am curious about something referred to as a "funnel run" in one of the other posts. I believe it has something to do with the winter TA club, and I believe I saw a photo of some of the members near the base of the funnel. Is this possible? Looking forward to meeting everyone in April.

Bobby

Bobby:

For our QE2 crossing this past January, a handful of "members" of the Winter Crossing Club got the ball rolling with regard to us all meeting. (I can't remember exactly who it was...). As we got closer to the time of the crossing we all agreed upon two meeting times - simple as that. (FYI, we met at 10PM in The Chart Room the evening of Sailing Day from Southampton, and then again the next evening, at 7PM, our first full day at sea, in the Champagne Bar).

With regard to the "funnel run", I myself personally missed out on it, but a couple of the regular posters here on this very thread took part in that little escapade one evening on the North Atlantic, lucky devils !!!! Maybe they will let out some of the details.....

I'm sure that as we talk", one year from now, we will all definitely be planning a "Spring Crossing Club" meeting for our voyage - and I look forward to meeting you, Bobby !!

Best wishes

Tom

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Transat Jon (Jon)

* Juliecat (Julia)

* Planet Cadillac (Craig)

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Skipperette (Jan) & Transatlantic Tom (Tom)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Bobby1119 (Bobby)

* Jim Avery (Jim & Lois)

* Penlady (Elizabeth)

* Richard Schmidt

* DDR (Dave)

• 4 weeks later...
Please add me to the list for the January crossing. I am a 31 yo social worker from Massachusetts. This will be my 27th cruise but first on Cunard. Really looking forward to it!

Rob (capeboy96)

Rob:

...will do !!! I'll add you to the list for the January crossing !!! I hope you enjoy your voyage aboard QE2 - she's one of a kind.

Tom

Can I confirm that nobody has booked the April 21 crossing only, but have all booked the 22 night crossing & cruise?

If so, can we stop calling the April 21st a crossing as if its the same as the 2nd Jan one!

Unfortunately I can't afford the crossing+cruise and got my hopes up :( :confused: I should have read the thread more carefully...

Well, they say "never say never" but it's looking rather unlikely for the Spring TA for us. We just booked a Fall crossing on the QMII, and will likely be heading to warm islands rather than cool days at sea next Spring... Have a great time on both crossings, and say a prayer for a lotto win, and then maybe we can join in!

Andrew

Can I confirm that nobody has booked the April 21 crossing only, but have all booked the 22 night crossing & cruise?

If so, can we stop calling the April 21st a crossing as if its the same as the 2nd Jan

Crossing only for me.

Chris in stormy NWPA

If so, can we stop calling the April 21st a crossing as if its the same as the 2nd Jan one!

Unfortunately I can't afford the crossing+cruise and got my hopes up :( :confused: I should have read the thread more carefully...

Crossing only (April 2007) for SKIPPERETTE and TRANSATLANTIC TOM.

If I had to guess, based on having gone through this same thing for our "just-completed" January 2006 crossing, I would say that most who are asking to be added to the list (January OR April QE2 Transatlantic, or both like lucky Chris !!!) are only making the crossing, and not continuing beyond NY or Ft. Lauderdale...most, not all.

Tom

Thanks for your replies.

Its obviously possible to book the April "crossing only" if you're in the US, but not if you're in the UK. I'm getting a categorical No, or at least a "not yet" when trying to book this.

I'd be VERY interested to hear from any UK or Euro-based people who have managed to book this.

Thanks,

- Rob.

Its obviously possible to book the April "crossing only" if you're in the US, but not if you're in the UK. I'm getting a categorical No, or at least a "not yet" when trying to book this.

This is very strange.

They have been booking the one-way crossing for US passengers before the rest of the cruise even existed!

To have them say "no" in the UK... As I said, very strange.

Apparently the left hand (P&O Cruises, aka Cunard UK) doesn't know what the right hand (Princess, aka Cunard US) is doing!

Of course, these "segments" of longer voyages are always tricky to deal with. For one thing, I don't think "segments" exist in POLAR (the P&O/Princess computer reservation system), so the reservations people have to use some sort of manual workaround just to book these. It may just be that P&O/Cunard UK's reservations agents aren't interested in the extra work...

Perhaps P&O were just too busy hyping their new logo (the unveiling of which they'd have you believe is the most earth-shattering event in their 169-year history, which is especially rich as it's so "new", they've only been using it in various forms since 1888!) to bother ;) ?

Or they were too busy thinking up the name for Ocean Village's second ship, OCEAN VILLAGE 2?

Sorry, it's "make fun of P&O week" in my house ;) ...

I would say that most who are asking to be added to the list (January OR April QE2 Transatlantic, or both like lucky Chris !!!) are only making the crossing

Tom

Ah, yes, Transatlantic Thomas! Trips made possible by my year long sabbatical!

Chris

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Transat Jon (Jon)

* Juliecat (Julia)

* Planetcadillac (Craig)

* Capeboy96 (Rob)

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Skippette (Jan) & Transatlantic Tom (Tom)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Bobby1119 (Bobby)

* Jim Avery (Jim & Lois)

* Penlady (Elizabeth)

* Richard Schmidt

* DDR (Dave)

All right, I'll admit I'm getting obsessive early. I've already booked my air to London arriving January 1 (had to use up my frequent flier miles or risk losing them). Now I'm worried about getting from Heathrow to Southampton on New Years Day. It looks like National Express doesn't run on the holiday. The train schedules don't come out until October 1 (by which time I'd like to have the hotel booked). Can anyone advise on train service on the holiday? Would it be better to stay in London on the 1st and go down th Southampton on the 2nd (I would prefer to be down in SOU the day before).

Thanks

Julia (the compulsive one)

Hello Julia,

This January when Tandemtourer and I journeyed from the Cotswolds to Southampton on New Year's Day we experienced absolutely no problem. The trains were on time with full service. However, notwithstanding the sales at the West Quay Shopping Mall, the town was quite quiet. We saw only two people near the ancient walls... we imagined of course that they were also there for our crossing. Our Hythe Ferry ran on schedule and we were two of four passengers which greatly surprised us. The only problem we did experience was the absence of open pubs/restaurants. But, then again, Hythe is a very small place (we did find one Kebab shop which was open:)).

We're hoping to be on one (or both :eek:) crossings in 2007 but will be waiting a little while to book our tickets.

Captaintandem

P.S. Did you purchase the videotape in which you are featured?

Hello Julia,

P.S. Did you purchase the videotape in which you are featured?

Yes, I am the proud owner of the DVD. I now have proof that I do in fact dance!

Thanks for the reassurance about the trains. I'd much rather recover from my jetlag in Southampton than worry about getting down to the port on departure day.

Julia

Archived