Norwegian Dawn Deck 8 OV April 2019

dueforacruise

This may have been asked, but I've searched and searched. 

My 2 sisters and I booked a midship obstructed view cabin on deck 8 of the Dawn for April 2019.

I'm looking for more info on what we can expect from our cabin/cruise. We've all sailed 1x before (separately) but never on Norwegian. What can we expect from the obstructed view? Pictures of view?(very few online) Room size?  I've seen conflicting details, some say there is a sleeper sofa? Is there enough room for 3 women in their 30's?

Any tips you want to give some Norwegian newbies?

Thank you for your time and responses!

I've had an obstructed-view cabin on deck 8 of the Gem; while the Dawn is not identical to the Gem, the lifeboat arrangements are similar. My window had a view through the upper and middle parts of the window, so it was possible to see the sea and the sky, but not close to the ship. There was pretty good daylight, although the cabin steward kept closing the curtains.

No sleeper sofa and no room for one. The third bed will be a pullman, folding down from the wall. This works better if the two lower beds are separated, not put together. The photo shown for an obstructed-view cabin is of a "sideways" cabin, with the window and the hall door in the long walls instead of the short ones, but most have the window and hall door in the short walls. The "sideways" cabins, both OV and inside, feel more spacious to some people.

I'd say that the storage is adequate for two, maybe tight for three. The bathroom is small and might be difficult to share, and if the floor plans are accurate, oceanview staterooms on the Dawn don't have a dressing table/desk.

Lets start with this LINK:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Dawn

Now click on DECK 8

Observe all the life boats around the midship - what you have with your obstructed view (OK class cabin) is a view

of a life boat with a glimpse of some ocean sea or shore line. Some cabins don't have much of a view others a

look between life boats.

While you are looking at the LINK and DECK 8 notice all the little cameras images - CLICK on one of those and you

will see what the camera has seen.

Room size will be about the same as perhaps a inside cabin ocean view even a balcony about 220 square feet.

The floor plan will not vary much with two different types - note the OK cabins in the aft are rectangles laying on their

side - so this is a side entry with beds on one side of the room and living bath on the other. Toward the mid-ship front

the cabins are the traditional rectangle where upon entry the beds are against the far window wall with the bath and living

storage space either side of the entry door. Click on the small cameras for some view ideas.

Have Google or YouTube search for NCL DAWN Cabin ???? - where ???? is your cabin number.

Not finding yours look on deck 8 for a mirror image cabin next door or across on the other side of the ship.

There is not much of a difference - so a mirror or reverse image covers all.

Regarding the bedding arrangement - there will be 2 lower level beds and perhaps 1 Pullman bed dropping down

from the wall. The lower level beds maybe adjoined - your cabin attendant will separate at turn down time in the PM.

If given the option to re-book upgrade or bid for a Balcony cabin I think that you would do better overall.

Have more questions - we are here to help - - -

OP,  the new search function on CC isn't helping, but - I've posted some pictures from recent Gem sailings - cabin info from Deck 8's obstructed oceanviews, similar (almost identical) to the Dawn, which we sailed over a decade ago (missed that "old" refurbished ship) 

link is here - start w. post #368 

Look into this thread to see if there is anything specific to the Dawn, if not, one of its sibling class of ships - Jewel, Star & of course, the Gem ... click & expand my Signature, the PDF has a link to the reviews written over the years on a limited # of NCL ships, with more pictures & info, but ... none specific for the Dawn, however - most of the stateroom & cabin info can be reasonably generalized as a guide.

Look in Youtube as there are some good videos.  Among the reasons to keep the window curtains closed is for privacy, as on port days (usually not while ship is at sea) crew members doing maintenance are out & about on the cat walk above the lifeboats, doing inspection & washing the exterior ... you don't want to be "surprised" by their presence, while changing, etc.  Otherwise, you get plenty of natural lights & depending on the specific stateroom, varied degree of views of the ocean. 

For 3 sisters/siblings traveling together, it isn't all that bad & certainly help to foster bonding - one of you will need to take the upper bunk/pullman bed.  If it is a quad-occupancy, I believed the 4th bed is stored under the main beds & pull out - you could be in a wall-to-wall bedding setup.  Some will get the Room Steward to do an inverted U shape setup, with room to sit around & none of you need to climb up & down the ladder.  

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Look in Youtube as there are some good videos.  Among the reasons to keep the window curtains closed is for privacy, as on port days (usually not while ship is at sea) crew members doing maintenance are out & about on the cat walk above the lifeboats, doing inspection & washing the exterior ... you don't want to be "surprised" by their presence, while changing, etc.  Otherwise, you get plenty of natural lights & depending on the specific stateroom, varied degree of views of the ocean. 

One thing to note about the OK Obstructed View cabins is when the ship is at a port requiring tendering your view may be

increased immensely but also there is a racket and noise that may confound your staying in you cabin as the life boats

are hoisted away from their davits and lowered into the sea and then the reverse. When the life boats are deployed

guests on the Promenade deck may have an interior view of your cabin (right in front of the window).

To avoid a complicated bedding situation consider an upgrade or bid for a balcony cabin if offered for a few dollars more.

Then you will have better control of the cabin privacy and all the daylight you can handle and everyone will have a bed

on the same level - twin beds and the sofa.

If you plan to cruise more in the future when you are out and about getting from your cabin to where ever you are going

and you pass by a cabin with its door open take a quick peek from the passageway to see the layout -

Meet others or attending a Meet & Greet party and there is a Cabin Crawl see what other cabin configurations are like.

There is a wealth of information to be had from reading here at CC - use it to your advantage for a better cruise !

8 hours ago, dueforacruise said:

This may have been asked, but I've searched and searched. 

My 2 sisters and I booked a midship obstructed view cabin on deck 8 of the Dawn for April 2019.

I'm looking for more info on what we can expect from our cabin/cruise. We've all sailed 1x before (separately) but never on Norwegian. What can we expect from the obstructed view? Pictures of view?(very few online) Room size?  I've seen conflicting details, some say there is a sleeper sofa? Is there enough room for 3 women in their 30's?

Any tips you want to give some Norwegian newbies?

Thank you for your time and responses!

We had a OV, not restricted last spring deck 8. We have had restricted views in the past. Mostly it simply means you may have a life boat hanging over your window  or something like that. It won't be a big deal unless you make it one. The cabins are pretty standard for cruise ships: a little smaller than Carnival I will add. Deck 8 has one drawback, it deck can be hard to navigate but if you are mid ship and near an elevator you will be fine.

Tips if Patti and Jose are entertaining be sure to   go to all their shows: outstanding!!! Have a drink or two and enjoy the music at Gatsby's bar and for a quick bite to eat, O'Sheehans is the place to go: typical pub food but good and fun.