Passport Question

jcgld62

I recently married and changed my name but I have not changed my passport. If I book a cruise under my old name can I use my passport? I'm not sure if somewhere in the government world when you change your name on your social security card if it flags your passport??

1 hour ago, jcgld62 said:

I recently married and changed my name but I have not changed my passport. If I book a cruise under my old name can I use my passport? I'm not sure if somewhere in the government world when you change your name on your social security card if it flags your passport??

I think you are asking legal questions on a forum, with no possible chance of accuracy.  You are legally required to travel with correct documents, so if you "legal" name is changed, than you should change your passport also.  Passports are needed to "enter" a country.  Each country could have their own set of rules.  (Although on a cruise, the Caribbean nations will not look at it).  It is also advised that if you are newly married, and this is your honeymoon, that you book in your maiden name, and carry your marriage license to show why it does not match. Just because someone was not asked or questioned, does not mean you will not be asked or questioned. 

I wouldn't advise to travel under an "assumed" name. If she has legally changed her name, the best way to travel is with the proper documents. Although if the current passport is nearing expiration, I would suggest renewing it with the married name and that would be all you need.

You need to change your passport to your married name if you have changed your social security number and drivers license; your name has legally changed.  You knew you were getting married at the time of booking, correct?  You have a booking in one name and a drivers license in another.  If no time (you can renew a passport in less than a month without even paying to expedite service) travel on the closed loop cruise with the birth certificate and leave the passport at home since it is not in you legal name.  

47 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

It is also advised that if you are newly married, and this is your honeymoon, that you book in your maiden name, and carry your marriage license to show why it does not match. Just because someone was not asked or questioned, does not mean you will not be asked or questioned. 

why would you book a cabin in your maiden name and take a marriage certificate?     do one or the other 

if you book using your maiden name and your passport has that name on it you will need NOTHING else.

5 minutes ago, serene56 said:

why would you book a cabin in your maiden name and take a marriage certificate?     do one or the other 

if you book using your maiden name and your passport has that name on it you will need NOTHING else.

If you get married today, and cruise tomorrow.  You book in your Maiden name because you did not legally change you name until today, which is too soon to change all your ID's which is required by various laws.  Therefore, you bring your marriage certificate just in case.  I'm the person that will say, take everything just in case.  Better safe than sorry.  However, I'm not saying you need it or you don't need it, but rather, don't assume anything, and bring everything tied to any name change.

50 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

If you get married today, and cruise tomorrow.  You book in your Maiden name because you did not legally change you name until today, which is too soon to change all your ID's which is required by various laws.  Therefore, you bring your marriage certificate just in case.  I'm the person that will say, take everything just in case.  Better safe than sorry.  However, I'm not saying you need it or you don't need it, but rather, don't assume anything, and bring everything tied to any name change.

IF you get married today and cruise tomorrow you dont have a marriage certificate to take.   I dont understand why take that license if your passport is in the name that you booked the cruise under

1 hour ago, ypcat said:

I wouldn't advise to travel under an "assumed" name. If she has legally changed her name, the best way to travel is with the proper documents. Although if the current passport is nearing expiration, I would suggest renewing it with the married name and that would be all you need.

I'm with this.  By legally changing your name via SSA, you'd be traveling under an alias by using your maiden name.  Might you 'get away with it' by being booked under your maiden name and using your existing passport?  Perhaps.  But expeditiously finish what you've started.  New drivers license, new passport, and new name on the booking.  As others have said, delaying your name change until after returning from an overseas trip is always preferred but that isn't what the OP did in this particular case.  According to your Sig, it appears that the cruise is in April.  You've got plenty of time to get this right.  Get 'er done.

Per the carnival website:

Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.  

Me and my husband are going on our honeymoon in January and he has also changed his name with SS but not anywhere else.  His passport still has his old last name which what we booked the cruise under.  So as long as the name on the cruise booking is the same as the name on the passport, you will be fine.

So it sounds like a proper match up of maiden booking and maiden passport gets it done even if one is 'halfway pregnant' in terms of the name change.  All well and good.  But I'd personally want to get from one bank of the river over to the other as quickly and efficiently as possible.  Do note Carnival's implicit encouraging of 'handle all that stuff when you get back home' is the best alternative for newlyweds, no doubt.

I think it actually depends on what countries you are going to. Different countries have different rules.  Your safest bet is to change your passport name and make a reservation in that name.  Otherwise, I would carry your passport and try to use that but have a copy of original BC.  Drivers license and marriage certificate to be safe.