How can you hold reservations for a cabin until your PVP calls?

pyropoodle

Let's say, I found a cruise and a room that I really want and my PVP isn't answering and I don't want the room to disappear.  How can I temporarily book it until the PVP is able to take over for me?   Is there like a 24 hour hold? or is this even a thing?

I know that I lost a room that I really wanted on one of the cruises I had booked because by the time my PVP called me back, the room had sold out and I don't want that to happen again. 

Any advise would be appreciated.  Apologies in advance if this is a dead horse topic. 

I've been given the option to put a courtesy hold on a room when I was doing a mock booking.  That doesn't happen every time though.  I know with a TA you personally can book your room and switch over to TA if not paid in full.  I wonder if you book it online and then have your PVP take over, if that's an option.  I wouldn't want to risk losing a certain room.  

Any time you make a mock booking (all the way to final booking summary) you should be given the opportunity to hold it for 48 hrs (often can be extended to 72 hrs) by simply trying to leave the page, going back to the main Carnival page.

The hold then shows up in your Cruise bookings like any other booking, but disappears if you don't place the deposit in time.  You can also cancel the hold the same way you cancel any booking.

Just out of curiosity, if you know what cruise and room you want, why do you have a PVP?  We always book everything ourselves direct with Carnival.com, and I can't figure out what a PVP would do for us.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 3

I have been able to put the room on hold sometimes. Another time I booked online using a rate that was refundable and then when talking to my PVP I cancelled and rebooked with her using the rate I wanted. There were several complicating factors on this booking (multiple cabins, unknown occupants at booking, etc) so having the PVP for this cruise was important to me. 

• Like 2

When you get to the payment page of the booking, across the top are three options (1) Pay by Gift Card (2) Pay by Credit Card (3) Place 48 hour hold.  I've done it twice in the last couple of months.  Simply place what you want on a 48 hour hold and then have your PVP complete the booking for you.  Not had any problems.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info.   I guess one reason we use her is when we book multiple rooms and she helps us link bookings, get connecting rooms, keep everything in one place, etc.

I guess I never got far enough in the mock booking to see that page.   Also, she's been with us since 2008 so we like that we help (in our very small tiny way) keep her employed at no extra cost to us. 

probably just a comfort thing.  she's really nice though, and there have been times when nice cards and small gifts from her have appeared, so that is also a nice perk.

trying to avoid calling anyone since when things are announced, especially on ..ahem..new ships called Mardi Gras...ahem..things might move quickly and I'm looking for a specific sail date and room type. soooooo...just want my fingers to select what I want without sitting on hold or waiting for return calls

3 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

trying to avoid calling anyone since when things are announced, especially on ..ahem..new ships called Mardi Gras...ahem..things might move quickly and I'm looking for a specific sail date and room type. soooooo...just want my fingers to select what I want without sitting on hold or waiting for return calls

That big box store does allow you to book online and does something carnival website does not..........you can search for specific room numbers. I have booked many cruises through Carnival.com but from now on no way.

Edited by n6uqqq

25 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

the only drawback being if I need any changes, my pvp can't help me.  I guess it depends on what you want to have or give up.

Just put a 48 hour hold online (see my previous post) and leave a message for your PVP.  She'll call you back before the hold is off.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Just put a 48 hour hold online (see my previous post) and leave a message for your PVP.  She'll call you back before the hold is off.

thanks for this info. I should have used the quote feature previously. I was more speaking to the poster that wanted me to call a big box store.  

I will totally put this on a hold and contact my pvp.  we just really like her and want to help her make her quota or whatever it is they do.   I appreciate the follow up. 

4 hours ago, camijo said:

I've been given the option to put a courtesy hold on a room when I was doing a mock booking.  That doesn't happen every time though.  I know with a TA you personally can book your room and switch over to TA if not paid in full.  I wonder if you book it online and then have your PVP take over, if that's an option.  I wouldn't want to risk losing a certain room.  

A PVP can take it over but they do not get credit for that booking.  They will take it in hopes you book through them next time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

A PVP can take it over but they do not get credit for that booking.  They will take it in hopes you book through them next time.  

This is not accurate.

A PVP booking or other direct CCL booking can be taken over by a Travel Agent.

But a Travel Agent booking could never, under any circumstances, be touched, modified or serviced by a PVP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdGuyMG said:

This is not accurate.

A PVP booking or other direct CCL booking can be taken over by a Travel Agent.

But a Travel Agent booking could never, under any circumstances, be touched, modified or serviced by a PVP.

The comment was directed at the question if someone booked THEMSELVES on line.  PVPs can take those bookings, they just don't get new booking  credits.  Cruises booked by TAs can be released  by the TA and turned over to whomever.

Also, Carnival will not turn over a booking to a travel agent that is more than 90 days old. I have a booking for Alaska for next June that I booked in Oct of last year that I wanted to turn over to a travel agent(Costco) but they would not release it. Since I was booked past guest I simply cancelled my booking ( TY past guest rate) and rebooked it. The savings was in excess of 400 dollars for our 4 person extended balcony.

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Cruises booked by TAs can be released  by the TA and turned over to whomever.

Not a likely nor pretty scenario as this would require a lengthy and time consuming process thru the cruise line's Guest Admin department and would result in a 100% loss of an earned agency commission.

15 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Actually, if you only have a "hold" on the room, they do get the credit for booking.  If you have put the deposit on then, yes, they can "take it over."

Thanks for the info all..just to clarify because I confuse easily..

as long as I place a hold, but do NOT put down a deposit, the PVP can still get the credit, correct?

I realize this is a small thing, and I can book myself, but I wouldn't bother her at all if she wouldn't get the credit for it. 

23 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

Thanks for the info all..just to clarify because I confuse easily..

as long as I place a hold, but do NOT put down a deposit, the PVP can still get the credit, correct?

I realize this is a small thing, and I can book myself, but I wouldn't bother her at all if she wouldn't get the credit for it. 

That is true.

29 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

I just did this for the first time and the PVP was very grateful that I called and allowed them to finish the booking.

thanks for letting me know.  

it sometimes amazes me the people don't have a problem tipping a luggage handler, a room steward, a waiter, but when you use a PVP (which costs nothing), it confuses people.  I like to help keep them employed and this is the only way I know how to 'tip' them.   I can totally book online for myself, just like I can totally make my own bed, serve myself food, etc.....that could be just me though.   I know they work hard and some people reaaaalllly use the stuffing out of a PVP, calling constantly to update, correct, price drop, etc.   We don't really use them for much unless there is a needful reason to use them, but we do use them . 

I also realize that using a PVP isn't always convenient, so in that regard, I totally get NOT wanting to use one.  I don't blame people for not using them.   to each their own. I book my own flights, my own hotel for travel, and I don't use people for that, so I get it.  anyway, thanks for letting me drone on and on....

Edited by pyropoodle