Case of wine on the Queen Mary

deck chair

7 minutes ago, jeno said:

And this discussion pertains to wine only, correct? We are not to bring liquor onboard? I’m sure that is correct.  

Last year for the first time I brought aboard something other than wine: a small bottle of gin purchased in Halifax.  Security saw it and waved me through. At that time the notice on Cunard's Website mentioned the rule of one bottle of wine or Champagne per person but went on to say that rule will not be enforced unless necessary.  I have heard of passengers bringing on board a case of their favourite scotch without any problem.

Considering that P&O recently changed their generous policy I wouldn't be surprised if Cunard made similar changes.

• Thanks 1

You can pretty much bring on as much of any type of liquor as you want. We typically bring on 6 bottles of wine and a fifth of Gentleman Jack Daniels for a transatlantic crossing. I know that sounds like a lot and I'd like to tell you that we do a lot of sharing but we don't. Feel free to judge:classic_wacko:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

You can pretty much bring on as much of any type of liquor as you want. We typically bring on 6 bottles of wine and a fifth of Gentleman Jack Daniels for a transatlantic crossing. I know that sounds like a lot and I'd like to tell you that we do a lot of sharing but we don't. Feel free to judge:classic_wacko:

I wonder how the people who bring bottles of spirits and wine on board would feel it they ran a Restaurant or Bar would  feel if customer brought their own drink in?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckymal said:

I wonder how the people who bring bottles of spirits and wine on board would feel it they ran a Restaurant or Bar would  feel if customer brought their own drink in?

Some restaurants do allow customers to bring their own wine and charge corkage in the same way as Cunard.

A fairer comparison would be to a hotel - I'm not aware of hotels routinely placing restrictions on guests bringing their own drinks to consume in their rooms.

Other cruise lines do place restrictions but not Cunard so far.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 2:36 PM, Underwatr said:

Maybe after transportation and storage their margin is better on the $20 corkage.

We just received our documents about our upcoming voyage.  It states that corkage is $25US.  I hope it is really $20.  

This voyage had the same info. I was pleasantly surprised when the Wine Steward told me the corkage would be $20.

As far as the propriety of carrying on alcohol for consumption, bear in mind that carrying on whatever one carries on is done in full view of everyone. It's not as though people are using Rum Runners.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, luckymal said:

It is only relatively recently that any cruise line imposed restrictions on bringing aboard personal alcohol for consumption in one's quarters. When we stay in a hotel and want to "toast the Queen's health" no-one tells me what I can or cannot bring into our room. The same applies to bedrooms on our long-distance  trains in Canada (and I am told also on Amtrak in the U.S.).

Having said that, I do agree with the corkage fee being charged in restaurants and lounges.

Having spoken to Cunard Customer Service staff, terminal staff and onboard hospitality staff, it is clear that Cunard is fully aware that some passengers are bringing on considerable amounts of alcohol and are OK with that. Why would they allow this, that's hard to say but my best guess is:

1. The overwhelming majority of Cunard passengers bring either just one or two bottles of a special wine/champagne or nothing at all. 

2. Those individuals that are bringing on 6 or more bottles of wine probably wouldn't buy that much wine onboard if restrictions were put in placed and successfully enforced. And if they did buy wine onboard, it would probably be towards the lower end of the price range

3. As noted above, Cunard probably makes as much or more net profit on a corkage fee as they do on a lower cost bottle of wine sold onboard.

Bottom line, the amount of money lost by Cunard (if any) by not restricting alcohol brought on board by passengers is probably little more than a rounding error. On the plus side, Cunard customers like this policy and for those of us who are on a tight budget, this might even serve as a tipping point for choosing Cunard over another cruise line. 

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

We bring a lever-actuated stopper so the champagne (sometimes) lasts long enough for a couple of days of mimosas.

On our recent westbound TA we were impressed to find, in the cabinet next to the mini-bar, in addition to two varieties of wine openers, a tight-sealing champagne stopper.  Now that's class.