Romaine Lettuce

TravelScholar

I had a Caesar Salad with Romaine lettuce on the Sunshine last week.  The states not affected by the contamination issue are still producing it - so it might depend on the local supply chain for each ship.

It was an underwhelming salad, though, in the end.  Not bad, just not the "wow" I sometimes get with their Caesar salad.  Needed more dressing, and I guess they don't put on bacon (or anchovies! Oh those would be nice!) unless you ask.  I need to remember that for next time.

On Dream last week I never ordered a Caesar in the dining room but at the pasta bar they had them scratched off the list on embarkation day. Later in the week it was not scratched off. I selected one but they didn't bring it. So I'm guessing no Caesar salads as of last week.

59 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Me , I would just avoid it altogether till things simmer down.  

We started receiving Romaine last Friday. If food purveyors and super markets are selling it, it's safe. USDA always acts overly cautious, which is good, I guess. 

I believe the "epidemic" was over by the end of June.  Growing season in the areas where the tainted lettuce came from ending in April.  No tainted romaine is on the market.

I realize we only recently heard about this after 5 people died.  But in 36 states, only 210 people were ever diagnosed with the e coli strain.  96 developed kidney failure. for a country with a population the size of the United states, those are extremely small numbers.

4 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I believe the "epidemic" was over by the end of June.  Growing season in the areas where the tainted lettuce came from ending in April.  No tainted romaine is on the market.

I realize we only recently heard about this after 5 people died.  But in 36 states, only 210 people were ever diagnosed with the e coli strain.  96 developed kidney failure. for a country with a population the size of the United states, those are extremely small numbers.

Do you not watch the news.....this is a new problem which is why all super markets & resturants have stopped stocking it!

The packers have started labeling where the lettuce was grown. That way we don't have to pull everything off the market if it happens again. Once the source is identified or at least narrowed down, the product from other areas will be released for sale. The salad I purchased Sunday had the new labeling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aknguyen said:

The packers have started labeling where the lettuce was grown. That way we don't have to pull everything off the market if it happens again. Once the source is identified or at least narrowed down, the product from other areas will be released for sale. The salad I purchased Sunday had the new labeling.

I noticed this as well, it's a good idea.

1 hour ago, OCruisers said:

We will be at Ruth's Chris in Greensboro, NC on Christmas Eve with our daughter who lives there.

There is a note on their website saying they are no longer serving/using Romaine lettuce at this time.  

Yes they are serving Caesar Salads, just called, as of last week, just like us. 336-574-1515 

According to my local news:

"The strain of E. coli causing the current outbreak in romaine lettuce has been found in a reservoir on a farm in Santa Barbara County, California, the US Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

The agencies are continuing to investigate other possible sources, and the CDC still advises consumers not to eat romaine lettuce grown in California’s Monterey, San Benito and Santa Barbara counties until investigations are complete.

Properly labeled romaine grown outside those three counties and harvested after November 23, as well as romaine grown in greenhouses or hydroponically, should all be safe from contamination, the CDC said. The earlier warning against eating romaine from California’s San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz and Ventura counties has been lifted."

I ate Romaine lettuce twice over the weekend and I'm still okay. 

The issue has been traced to the cause and romaine is back on the market - from all areas except the California areas that were identified as being the source.

We've been eating it for 2 weeks now with no issues.  All of the supermarket Romaine packaging is now clearly labeled when packaged and where grown.