HAL Amsterdam in 2020

Cruise NH

I am not the biggest fan of the HAL website and find it difficult to navigate sometimes...so with that caveat...

I was looking to see what the Amsterdam is doing after the World Cruise in 2020.  The only thing I could find was some New England/Canada cruises from June through September  and supposedly they are all sold out.  That can't be possible can it?  Does the site show a cruise as 'sold out' when they really mean 'not for sale yet'?

Honestly I was looking (and hoping) that there would be another Grand Asia cruise in 2020 but if the Amsterdam is in the Atlantic in September that seems to lessen the odds of that.

These Canada New England cruises for 2020 are not sold out.  I’ve contacted HAL 3 times to let them know the website is glitching and won’t allow bookings. You can call and book direct or book thru another TA site. It’s very frustrating that two weeks after my initial inquiry it’s still not fixed. 

As as for Grand Asia tour, I’m not sure. But St Pete Cruiser has given a great idea of what might be up next on the itinerary after Canada New England.  

7 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

I have given up on the HAL website .... it is a mess. Does not give correct info most of the time. I search out cruises on another site and then book through .......????

Susan

the only web site I find  harder to navigate than HAL's is this one !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/18/2018 at 9:04 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

I see the Amsterdam at Boston Aug 22, 2020.  That would put it in position to transit back through the Panama Canal to the west coast in time for a late Sept Grand Asia.  

The last cruise listed on the HAL TA system for 2020 is currently a 7 day Montreal to Boston Sailing September 12th through 19th 2020.  What she does after that is anyone's guess at this point. 

So, that said if HAL did offer a Grand Asia in 2020 there could be time to do a repo from Boston, through the Canal to San Diego - which could be done in 16-20ish days ...... would be a bit of a later start for the Grand Asia (if offered) but doable, especially if the Grand Asia was shortened a tad.

Two different cruises.The2020 WC has stops in Africa in April but a Grand Africa cruise would be a separate cruise which may happen later in the Fall. I think they last did a Grand Africa in 2014, and also in 2008,there may have been others. Hope it happens. I'm lucky enough to have gotten confirmed on the Singapore to Cape Town segment for the 2020 WC.  Would love a Grand Africa cruise also because you cant do all the things you want to see and do in Africa on a few port stops.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 6:32 PM, Sir PMP said:

No details yet, but it will be a circle Africa, I believe the Rotterdam did that a few years back, a possible departure port would be Boston..

We were also on the 2018 Grand Asia and heard about the possibility of a Grand Africa, beginning in Boston and additional embarkation in FLL.  Never having been to Africa and wondering if I really want to see much of it, how long would it take to do a circle Africa?  80 days seems too long for this.

Amsterdam 2020 - Indian Ocean/ Africa portion - Singapore to FLL

Wednesday, March 25  Singapore 9:00am   

Thursday, March 26  Singapore   5:00pm 

Friday, March 27  Strait of Malacca (Cruising)    

Saturday, March 28  At Sea    

Sunday, March 29  At Sea    

Monday, March 30  Colombo, Sri Lanka 8:00am  11:00pm 

Tuesday, March 31  At Sea    

Wednesday, April 1  Male, Maldives 8:00am  6:00pm 

Thursday, April 2  At Sea    

Friday, April 3  At Sea    

Saturday, April 4  Victoria, Seychelles Noon   

Sunday, April 5  Victoria, Seychelles   5:00pm 

Monday, April 6  At Sea    

Tuesday, April 7  At Sea    

Wednesday, April 8  Mombasa, Kenya 8:00am   

Thursday, April 9  Mombasa, Kenya   5:00pm 

Friday, April 10  Zanzibar, Tanzania 8:00am  5:00pm 

Saturday, April 11  At Sea    

Sunday, April 12  Mayotte, Comoro Islands 8:00am  5:00pm 

Monday, April 13  Nosy Be, Madagascar 8:00am  4:00pm 

Tuesday, April 14  At Sea    

Wednesday, April 15  At Sea    

Thursday, April 16  Maputo, Mozambique 8:00am  5:00pm 

Friday, April 17  Richards Bay, South Africa 8:00am  11:00pm 

Saturday, April 18  Durban, South Africa 8:00am  11:00pm 

Sunday, April 19  At Sea    

Monday, April 20  At Sea    

Tuesday, April 21  Cape Town, South Africa 8:00am   

Wednesday, April 22  Cape Town, South Africa   11:00pm 

Thursday, April 23  At Sea    

Friday, April 24  Luderitz, Namibia 8:00am  5:00pm 

Saturday, April 25  Walvis Bay, Namibia 8:00am  4:00pm 

Sunday, April 26  At Sea    

Monday, April 27  At Sea    

Tuesday, April 28  St. Helena, UK Territory 10:00am  6:00pm 

Wednesday, April 29  At Sea    

Thursday, April 30  Ascension Island, U.K. Territory 10:00am  6:00pm 

Friday, May 1  At Sea    

Saturday, May 2  At Sea    

Sunday, May 3  At Sea    

Monday, May 4  At Sea    

Tuesday, May 5  At Sea    

Wednesday, May 6  At Sea    

Thursday, May 7  Barbados 8:00am  6:00pm 

Friday, May 8  Guadeloupe 9:00am  3:00pm 

Saturday, May 9  San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00am  11:00pm 

Sunday, May 10  At Sea    

Monday, May 11  At Sea    

Tuesday, May 12  Fort Lauderdale, FL

Edited by OlsSalt

I did the 2008 Grand Africa cruise on the Prinsendam. It was 73 days from Fort Lauderdale across to Morocco and then went down the west coast, up the east coast through the Canal to the Med and ended at Lisbon.  We had no problems with any ports on that cruise and I consider it one of the best that I have been on.  I have been to Africa on land trips many times but some of the ports we stopped at on the cruise were quite special.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ottawa traveller said:

I did the 2008 Grand Africa cruise on the Prinsendam. It was 73 days from Fort Lauderdale across to Morocco and then went down the west coast, up the east coast through the Canal to the Med and ended at Lisbon.  We had no problems with any ports on that cruise and I consider it one of the best that I have been on.  I have been to Africa on land trips many times but some of the ports we stopped at on the cruise were quite special.

Thank you for the info.  It sounds more interesting now.  If this is a go, I expect that it will be announced in June/July of this year, which was the time frame for the 2018 Grand Asia.

We would love a HAL Grand Africa in 2020 - especially if it was round trip from the USA! If anyone aboard the Amsterdam on the 2019 Grand World Voyage hears any news about such an itinerary, please let us know. We have found future voyages are often first revealed there. Here’s hoping...

• Like 1

I posted what I found as the 2020 Singapore  to FLL Grand Africa segment of the Amsterdam WC - in a prior post.  Whether this is the "official" or final HAL itinerary is unknown since it did not come from the HAL website - but somehow this became available within the world of other travel industry websites.  Scroll back and you can find it on this thread.

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I posted what I found as the 2020 Singapore  to FLL Grand Africa segment of the Amsterdam WC - in a prior post.  Whether this is the "official" or final HAL itinerary is unknown since it did not come from the HAL website - but somehow this became available within the world of other travel industry websites.  Scroll back and you can find it on this thread.

This is part of the 2020 World cruise on the Amsterdam which was mentioned earlier. Not a Grand Africa.

Hello all,  I am currently on the Grand South America/Antarctica cruise and sometimes rumors do become true. Per the onboard fcc, there will indeed be a Grand Africa on the Amsterdam in the fall of 2020 lasting 60-80 days round trip from either Boston or Ft. Lauderdale. No specifics yet about itinerary or pricing. But you are able to place a  $100 hold  which will guarantee you a reservation when the booking officially opens. (I did). Should be exciting one (even without knowing the exact ports). Also, per Cheryl, the Amsterdam will again do a Grand Asia in the fall of 2021 (which they are accepting pre-reservation holds for). 

Let it you know I f I learn more. 

AndreaB

Colorado

• Like 1

Andrea

thanks for the info on the Grand Africa. We are on the wait list for a segment of the 2020 WC which isn’t looking very promising so maybe it will be the Grand Africa cruise.

See you on the Prinsendam in March. 

Janet

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 5:18 AM, AndreaB said:

Hello all,  I am currently on the Grand South America/Antarctica cruise and sometimes rumors do become true. Per the onboard fcc, there will indeed be a Grand Africa on the Amsterdam in the fall of 2020 lasting 60-80 days round trip from either Boston or Ft. Lauderdale. No specifics yet about itinerary or pricing. But you are able to place a  $100 hold  which will guarantee you a reservation when the booking officially opens. (I did). Should be exciting one (even without knowing the exact ports). Also, per Cheryl, the Amsterdam will again do a Grand Asia in the fall of 2021 (which they are accepting pre-reservation holds for). 

Let it you know I f I learn more. 

AndreaB

Colorado

Hi Andrea,

Is there any more information regarding the schedule of the Ms Amsterdam in the Fall of 2020?  

Grand Asia in 2021? 

Grand World Voyage in 2021?

I know that these type of Voyages sell out quickly.  My husband and I would love to experience one of the Grand Voyages.

I hope you are enjoying your cruise 😃

Thank you!