Free extra guests- can this be applied after booking?

g683002

My sailing recently had the Free Extra Guests promotion offered on new bookings. I’m in H4 on a March cruise with 4 of us in the room. When I called NCL through my travel agent, they were not willing to do anything. I know I’ve seen here about them giving at least 25% as an OBC, but they claimed that my only option was to cancel (with penalty) and rebook if I wanted that offer. 

Any my advice or best practices here? Should I be contacting a specific department for help?

Thank you for your assistance!

If final payment has been made, I don't think there is anything you can do.  The "Free at Sea" promos have existed for a VERY LONG time so either your cruise was booked a VERY LONG time ago or your travel agent did not let you know about 2 can sail for free.  I don't think after final payment there is anything you could do.

I would not fret about it though.  Lets pretend your final payment was not made yet.  You would be entitled to the deal but chances are the overall cruise  price would be more than what you originally paid.  IMHO, there is nothing that can get you in a sour mood more before sailing than opening this can of worms now.  Congrats on being paid in full, now go enjoy your cruise!

Personally, I would give up all my perks if I could go back and book before all the "Free at Sea" promos. I am all about saving money.  As we learned from the Sr Booking rep from NCL, the "Free at Sea" promos have customers "THINKING" they are getting something for free.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

What stage of penalty are you at? If it's truly a great deal, you may still end up saving money by cancelling and rebooking.

But ya, it's always been a cancel and rebook. Its just that prior to final payment, cancelling is usually penalty-free.

1 hour ago, g683002 said:

It would be hundreds less with the promotion applied. 

In case you aren't aware, I want to add that there is still a fee for the extra guests.  The govt tax and port fees are charged for those "free" passengers.  For example, our upcoming January cruise was booked with the extra gusts sail free promo but there was a charge of $272.43 CAD each for guests 3 & 4 in our cabin.  So the price difference may not be as substantial as you might think.

3 hours ago, pisenor said:

In case you aren't aware, I want to add that there is still a fee for the extra guests.  The govt tax and port fees are charged for those "free" passengers.  For example, our upcoming January cruise was booked with the extra gusts sail free promo but there was a charge of $272.43 CAD each for guests 3 & 4 in our cabin.  So the price difference may not be as substantial as you might think.

You are 100% correct.

But the $272 CAD is in the noise when looking at the cost of an additional person in a Haven suite. 

8 hours ago, g683002 said:

My sailing recently had the Free Extra Guests promotion offered on new bookings. I’m in H4 on a March cruise with 4 of us in the room. When I called NCL through my travel agent, they were not willing to do anything. I know I’ve seen here about them giving at least 25% as an OBC, but they claimed that my only option was to cancel (with penalty) and rebook if I wanted that offer. 

Any my advice or best practices here? Should I be contacting a specific department for help?

Thank you for your assistance!

Are you past final payment?    Look what your first sentence says.   "NEW BOOKINGS".   Why would you think that wouldn't involve canceling and rebooking???   If prior to final payment,  then simply do that.   

I have successfully added a third person to my booking because at the time I booked they were offering it as an option that I didn't take. If it wasn't an option when I originally booked it would depend on all the other factors people mentioned. And I was lucky there was still lifeboat capacity in the part of the ship I was in.