Live from Grandeur of the Seas, Holiday Cruise

mspect462

Hi all !! I am aboard the Grandeur of the Seas and will be attempting my first live report. I am not too tech savvy , so only text , no pictures.

We arrived at the port at 10:30 , and apparently the boarding had already started. It took us 30 minutes to go from dropping off luggage, to parking, through the security,  and on the ship. I was in the hot tub in the solarium by 11:30. Windjammer was not crowded so got a nice lunch. Rooms were open at 1 and we went and unpacked. Walked around the ship for a while. It is beautifully Decorated for Christmas. I am going to see some shows and will report back tomorrow. If anyone has any questions about Grandeur, I would be happy to answer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mspect462 said:

Hi all !! I am aboard the Grandeur of the Seas and will be attempting my first live report. I am not too tech savvy , so only text , no pictures.

We arrived at the port at 10:30 , and apparently the boarding had already started. It took us 30 minutes to go from dropping off luggage, to parking, through the security,  and on the ship. I was in the hot tub in the solarium by 11:30. Windjammer was not crowded so got a nice lunch. Rooms were open at 1 and we went and unpacked. Walked around the ship for a while. It is beautifully Decorated for Christmas. I am going to see some shows and will report back tomorrow. If anyone has any questions about Grandeur, I would be happy to answer.

Is John Denton the Hotel Director?  Is Mike S. the cruise director?

Hi again all,

To answer a few questions:  Yes, John Denton is the Hotel Director. Mike is the Cruise Director, and CC is the Activities Manager.  No, there is no Vitality Cafe, so no smoothies that I saw at the Vitality Spa.

So last night we had a very nice dinner in the Main dining room. Service was a little slow, but friendly and good food. My husband and sons had the prime rib and I had the fish of the day. Both well cooked.

We went to the Welcome Aboard show with Mike and a comedian, very enjoyable. We then went to see the “Who WNts to Feel lime a Millionaire?”  I got to embarrass myself in front of an audience.  If you don’t know, the US bought the Virgin Islands from Denmark, pearlis the 30 th anniversay present, and penthaphobia ( not sure of the spelling) is the fear of your mother-in-law.  Shoutout to the audience for helping with the answers.

went to bed early, and up at 6am to go to the gym.  The gym is very small: 4 ellipticals, 8 treadmills, 2 stationary bikes, one erg machine, and some free weights and weight machines.  When I arrived at the gyn, only about 1/3 of the equipment was in use.  When I left at 7:30, it was packed. So if you are a gym rat, get there early or go later in the afternoon.. There are several classes available.  There is a stetching class at 7 am every day. At 7:30 on sea days, they alternate abs and full body workout. Pilates, yoga, and spin are available for $12 and body pump for $20.

Breakfast at the Windjammer was the usual.  Ther is a whole section labelled “gluten free” and I saw a sign if the coffee shop about milk alternatives (almond, soy, and lactose free), so I would assume they would be available in Windjammer.  The buffet was much less crowded than I have seen on bigger ships.

I attended a few trivia games and am going ro rest this afternoon. I will continue to address questions and report as the days go by.

We are booked on Grandeur spring 2020.  I've had concerns about the gym.  My husband is one of those gym rats, me not as much.  What are the gym hours?  We are. We are not interested in the classes.  Did you use the jogging track?  How was that?  We have found on past cruises that the gym is busy the first day or two and then it tapers off.  

The fitness centers on Celebrity are like professional gyms...even better in some cases.  So this could make or break a cruise for us...especially since it's 12 nights.

Edited by HardyVA

4 hours ago, mspect462 said:

We went to the Welcome Aboard show with Mike and a comedian, very enjoyable. We then went to see the “Who WNts to Feel lime a Millionaire?”  I got to embarrass myself in front of an audience.  If you don’t know, the US bought the Virgin Islands from Denmark, pearl is the 30th anniversay present, and penthaphobia ( not sure of the spelling) is the fear of your mother-in-law.  Shoutout to the audience for helping with the answers.

pentheraphobia  🙂

11 hours ago, kurtp13 said:

Does the spa have smoothies?  I want to know if my upcoming Refreshment package will cover them if so.  Thanks.   Have fun

Can't think of a venue that would have smoothies on Grandeur.

Day 2 was nice and relaxing. We have a priest on board who did a Sunday service and will be doing a midnight mass for Christmas.I did a bunch of trivia, hat a lovely dinner in the Main dining room ( fillet for me and my son, seafood linguini for another son, and duck al’orange for my husband) Everything was cooked well and very flavorfull. We went to the “majority rules “ gameshow. It was just OK. The adult comedian was hysterical,  

One note about dress code. Day 2 was formal night. I like to dress up, so I was I was in a gown and the guys were in suits. Maybe the. Christmas Cruise brings out the nice clothes, but way more people were dressed up than they were on my last few cruises. Plenty of tuxes, gowns, several gentlemn in their Army and Navy dress blues, and even one formal kilt.  Overall, very festive.

So, Day 3 arrived with a change in time. I don’t know if it was the time change or too many cocktails last night, but the gym was empty this morning.  The weather has improved and kids are in the pool. It is currently12:30 ship time, and the Solarium is relatively empty. Yes, the chair hogs were out early this morning, but have counted over 10 padded lounge chairs available. I can’t comment on the poolside chairs, because it is still too cold for me in the pools.

My husband and one son went to the sushi making class at Izumi. They had a great time, and the sushi they made was actually really good. We now have 25% off coupons for an Izumi dinner later in the cruise, Izumi on the Grandeur is ala carte, and does still have the hot rock, so I am looking forward to it.

i am now going to relax witha good book for an hour or 2.  Our Facebook/cruisecritic group has a slot pull at 2:30, so I guess I will see if we can win some money.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HardyVA said:

We are booked on Grandeur spring 2020.  I've had concerns about the gym.  My husband is one of those gym rats, me not as much.  What are the gym hours?  We are. We are not interested in the classes.  Did you use the jogging track?  How was that?  We have found on past cruises that the gym is busy the first day or two and then it tapers off.  

In comparison to larger ships (your experience, and RC's Freedom of the Seas class, etc.) Grandeur has a minimal gym as described.  Spin bikes available only with the cla$$ :classic_sad:.  Besides treadmills, the running track on Deck 10 is claimed 1/4 mile per lap.  Promenade (Deck 5) is a bit longer, but running discouraged and the bow area will be closed off at times.   I don't recall the gym hours and don't have my Cruise Compass that I kept handy to check.  I recall the gym was closed on 2 (?) at-sea days due to rough weather (ship's rolling and pitching more noticeable where the gym is located on Deck 10/aft).  It will be pretty empty on port days.  If I were your husband, I'd plan my workouts so the cruise is a recovery or cross-train (walking, stair climbing (Centrum repeats from Deck 2 to 11!), use port days for a run or ocean swimming?) period and not worry about losing fitness.   Maybe enter the "belly flop" contest in the trim & ripped division?

14 minutes ago, mspect462 said:

Day 2 was nice and relaxing. We have a priest on board who did a Sunday service and will be doing a midnight mass for Christmas.

The At-sea days are among my favorites on the Baltimore sailings because I can just relax! 

My experience is RC does a good-to-excellent job supporting services for religious groups.  For Jewish observances, they've always been good about supporting Hanukkah observances (latkes, jelly donuts, and having a rabbi to lead services each night).  On our last cruise, they moved the services to a larger space to accommodate a larger then they expected turnout.  On other cruises, Friday night Shabbat service have been lay-led.  The ship provides a usable xerox'd set of prayers, as well as wine and an excellent challah for Kiddush.  Usually a passenger who can lead services well takes charge.    

If having a priest lead services and the special Mass is important to you, I'd say that to Guest Services and in your post-cruise feedback so they're encouraged to keep on doing it.  Enjoy your cruise and the special midnight Mass tonight.

Hi, thanks you for sharing your cruise with us.  My sister and I are booked on the next cruise. We were both recently widowed this past year (unexpected and a shock to both) but are looking forward to spending time together on the grandeur.  Your posts are helping us get ready mentally for our cruise.  I do have a question -- did you notice if anyone brought flat of water on board at embarkation?  My husband and I always used to but I have read it is no longer allowed. Am wondering if the rule is being enforced in Baltimore.  Thanks again. Looking forward to your next post and wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas.

Happy holidays. Enjoying your cruise information. A few questions please and thank you.

Is there any Zumba or dancing in the centrum?

Will there bean adult Quest game.

How are the music bands onboard?

We loved all of the Grandeur of the Seas back in 2017. Going again soon. Loved our recent visions of the Seas.

21 minutes ago, RETCOL said:

I do have a question -- did you notice if anyone brought flat of water on board at embarkation?  My husband and I always used to but I have read it is no longer allowed. Am wondering if the rule is being enforced in Baltimore.  

Don't know about water 1st-hand [I bring reusable bottles, the filling of which is another issue entirely!] , but Baltimore does scan carry-on AND checked luggage (last cruise I erred in packing a permitted bottle of wine in a bag I checked at arrival, resulting in delayed delivery of that bag to our cabin and a polite gentle reminder to use carry-on next time).  Our travelling companions brought a 12-pack of small cans of coca-cola (for digestive relief) without any problems.  Bottled water in sealed containers *should* be OK; I'd call RCCL to verify if you can check the bag with the water  or need to carry it aboard.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RETCOL said:

Hi, thanks you for sharing your cruise with us.  My sister and I are booked on the next cruise. We were both recently widowed this past year (unexpected and a shock to both) but are looking forward to spending time together on the grandeur.  Your posts are helping us get ready mentally for our cruise.  I do have a question -- did you notice if anyone brought flat of water on board at embarkation?  My husband and I always used to but I have read it is no longer allowed. Am wondering if the rule is being enforced in Baltimore.  Thanks again. Looking forward to your next post and wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas.

The new rule is 12 containers of half a liter each of non-alcoholic beverages per cabin, must be carried on by the passenger.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cementhands said:

Is there any Zumba or dancing in the centrum?

Will there bean adult Quest game.

How are the music bands onboard?

We loved all of the Grandeur of the Seas back in 2017. Going again soon. Loved our recent visions of the Seas.

On our 12 /1 cruise:  There was some sort of daily morning class to music in Centrum, also several line dance and ballroom classes used Centrum on at-sea days, also a "Learn Michael Jackson's Thriller" class.  There was an adult Quest game.  

Music & dancing:  A section of the daily Cruise Compass will list all the performance times & locations for live & recorded music.  Real Time Band (singer + 3 instruments) I think is on until March, expanded song list from 2017 and playing more requests, also hosting "rock-aroke" sing with the band sessions.  Calypso band is decent, ship's orchestra put on a big band dance and a jazz show in Centrum.  Strings duet was enjoyable for listening, and the piano player/soloist in Schooner I'm told was a hoot.   Viking Crown seemed vacant for dancing late when we bothered to check (we preferred Real Time). 

4 minutes ago, do_not_spindle said:

On our 12 /1 cruise:  There was some sort of daily morning class to music in Centrum, also several line dance and ballroom classes used Centrum on at-sea days, also a "Learn Michael Jackson's Thriller" class.  There was an adult Quest game.  

Music & dancing:  A section of the daily Cruise Compass will list all the performance times & locations for live & recorded music.  Real Time Band (singer + 3 instruments) I think is on until March, expanded song list from 2017 and playing more requests, also hosting "rock-aroke" sing with the band sessions.  Calypso band is decent, ship's orchestra put on a big band dance and a jazz show in Centrum.  Strings duet was enjoyable for listening, and the piano player/soloist in Schooner I'm told was a hoot.   Viking Crown seemed vacant for dancing late when we bothered to check (we preferred Real Time). 

Many thanks. Love the Grandeur with such great service. Now I can rest at ease knowing my bride of 40 years will be busy in the centrum.

Happy holidays.