Anyone recently had a no show? Refund of port fees/taxes easy? Automatic?

SAmome

I’m thinking it’s risk free to have a 4th on a “free 3rd and 4th” promo bc worse case can’t make it, the cruise fare shows as zero and the fees would be returned. 

Just wanted to double check if this was the case; and if it was a hassle. Ncl at cruise next booking onboard tried to say no refund of the port fees/taxes if don’t drop the name before final payment but I don’t think she understood I was talking about an eventual refund for no show.

Thanks 

We had a no show on a carnival cruise once....it was deliberate so we would not face name change fees.  I had not submitted the second person's name on the original booking and the couple that was suppose to go backed out after final payment.

Since we only had one name on the reservation, I was able to just list my daughter as the second person during online check in.

The original person was a no show.  Our port fees were refunded to us as OBC, which was fine with me.

Have no experience with NCL though....

Thanks for the update. I’ve read similar on the rccl boards but not sure if it’s some law/standard or might vary by cruiseline. 

It almost seems they wouldn’t return money if they didn’t have to; just doing it to be nice doesn’t sound like a corporate decision 😜

Yes,   port taxes are refunded.    But,  sometimes,  the  double occupancy cost is more in a triple/quad cabin vs a double occupancy cabin.     So,  there could be more costs involved,  even if the 3/4th person is free.  

We were on the Bliss December 15th through 22nd. Due to weather and high winds we were unable to dock in Nassau on December 19th, though the Captain made 2 attempts.

Within a few hours our account was refunded the port fee for Nassau which was just under $23 each.