Family Thrill Seekers (at Good Hope Estate) or Dunns River Falls

skiergirl4

We will be  cruising to Jamaica  and are deciding between two excursions. 

They are the Family Thrill Seekers Pass at Good Hope Estate  and Dunns River Falls. 

We are sailing with Royal Caribbean in March.  In our group will be my husband, our three daughters ages 7, 11, and 14, and myself. 

Any my suggestions on which would be better? I like the fact that the Good Hope Estate tour is only a 20 minute bus ride from port. Dunns River Falls, on the other hand, is an hour and 15 minute bus ride. 

The Family Thrill Seekers pass sounds like a lot of fun, but some have indicated that it can be disorganized. I’m wondering, especially, if my 7 year old will be able to do the activities. There is a requirement of age 6 and 50 pounds, which she will meet. But I was hoping for anyone’s first-hand experience of doing the Family Thrill Seekers activities with a child close to that age.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

I don’t know what is included in the family thrill seekers tour, but I have been to Good Hope Estates and enjoyed the river rafting. I believe they also have zip lining there. The activities on the river would be most appropriate for the younger kids. 

I have been to Dunn’s River Falls several times. While I enjoyed climbing the falls, I did it when I was younger and braver (maybe stupider too). I would not risk doing it any longer as the falls are quite slippery and people often get injured. I certainly wouldn’t recommend it for. 7 year old. 

Thank you for the input, rncruiser!

From what I can tell, the included activities with the Thrill Seekers pass are zip lining, river raft/float, ropes obstacle course, water slides, swimming pool, aviary, and house/history tour. 

If if anyone has experience on this tour and I’m incorrect about what is included, that would be helpful, too!

Thank you!

Hello, my family and I (youngest was 14 at the time) did the Family Thrill Seekers Pass at Good Hope Estate 2 years ago.  We had the same dilemma as you.  We chose the family thrill seekers excursion over the falls because it was 20 mins from the pier and had a good selection of activities (and we did not want to sit in a bus for over an hour both ways to visit the falls).  The way that it worked for us was that you choose your activities when you arrive - there is a sign up "booth".  You can only choose your next activity after you finished one - you have to go back to the sign up booth.  Activities are based on availability.  I have heard that if there are a lot of people at the estate you could be waiting a long time between activities - this was not the case for us.  All of the activities you mentioned were available to us including the ATVs or dune buggy, some sort of rum tour and lunch.   We did the zip line, rum tour and dune buggy/ATV (our group split up for this as our 14 year could not ride the ATV alone - I think the minimum age was 16).  This was all that we were able to fit in, even though we went to activities back-to-back only breaking for lunch.  In essence, if you pick this excursion, you should prioritize the activities that you want to do and do the high priority ones first.  The shuttle back to the pier left regularly and we could pick any shuttle that was empty.  The food was very good - unlimited drinks BUT it was not a buffet as advertised, it was only one plate of food and you could purchase more - only real "disappointment".  I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat.

If you haven't done Dunns River Falls, it's something that has to be done at least once IMO.   It's completely unique to Jamaica.  You can raft and zip-line at many ports, but climbing up the Dunns river waterwall is something that is unique.  It is fairly commercialized with lots of guides, and they will record your climb in case you want a video of your expedition.  You can purchase photo's or the video at the end if desired.  It's definitely a one of a kind experience, and it's worth the drive.

We did this back in 2014 when our daughters were 13 and 10 and our son was 7.  It was great for all ages.  If you have mobility problems at all though, it's pretty much a no go.  You hold hands with people in front and behind you most of the way through the course, so be aware of that.  It's for your own safety.  The first and last in your group will hold the hand of a stranger, which seems a little weird at first, but the weirdness quickly goes away the more you climb and realize that you are all having fun together and that it's for your safety.

Anyhow, that's my input.

Dan

Thanks to all for your input, information, and perspectives!

nu_cruzer1...I appreciate the first-hand info about the Family Thrill Seekers pass. 

Any additional input or thoughts that others have will also be greatly appreciated!

On 12/29/2018 at 9:42 AM, George C said:

Love Dunn’s river and did it about 7 times but that’s when rccl docked a few minutes away would not do a drive that long for a excursion. 

George...the long drive/ride is a concern of ours. With our youngest daughter’s motion sickness, it might not be wise for us to travel over an hour each way. 

Thanks!

nu_cruzer1...

Having done the Family Thrill Seekers activities, would you guess that a seven year old could do the zip line and ropes course? She fits the age/weight/height requirement for RCCL, but I’d like to have an idea on if she could do those activities in particular. ATVs are a no-go for us (past accident/injury experience) and I would think the river float, pool, and aviary would be fine for her age level.

So, the big question is on the zip line/ropes. 

TIA!

23 minutes ago, skiergirl4 said:

George...the long drive/ride is a concern of ours. With our youngest daughter’s motion sickness, it might not be wise for us to travel over an hour each way. 

Thanks!

Roads are not also the best although they have really improved over last ten years 

Ive done both excursions.  

I’ve climbed DRF twice.  The first time, my son Nicholas was 7 and went along.  We put him between my husband and I during the climb and it worked out great.  I never felt it was unsafe for him.  There were lots of kids in our group. You do have to be attentive and younger kids will need some steadying hands occasionally.

Did the Family New Hope Estate excursion in April 2018.  The description above is accurate.  You might have time to do 3 events.  We did zip lining, ATVS, and Tubing.  It was a great time.  Do not expect to feel like you experienced real Jamaica on this excursion.  It’s pretty much bus there, do activities and bus back to the ship.

Theyre both great excursions.  DRF is more of a must-do in my opinion because its a unique opportunity,  but only you guys know how adventurous your girls are.

I am not a fan of Dunn River Falls. We went with kids who were in 4th and 6th grades. They had no problem with it and enjoyed the climbing. I was the last one in our group so I had to hold hands with a man who had trouble climbing. He fell and pulled me down with him causing me to tear tendons in my foot. Those rocks are slippery! I finished the rest of the cruise in a wheelchair. 

We did the double excursion through RCI at Good Hope-----Zip line and river raft.

Both were great!!!

But, the waiting waiting is a killer.

When you arrive Good Hope workers split you into 2 groups one to zip first the other to raft.

Then vice a versa.

The only problem is once you are done with your first part you wait for the other group to get back.

While you are waiting you get fed jerk chicken and corn biscuits (I lived to talk about it)

You could use the pool (no one was in it)

Use the restrooms (they were clean, not bad)

Buy potent potables at the bar, not included

Wait for the other group.

Rent a locker (not included in excursion)

Wait for group

When all was done wait for the buses to come and take you back to port.

If I were you I recommend just doing one excursion.

When we did this we were in the waiting  mode for over 4 hours combined.  Very Painful.

Enjoy rafting or zipline, done safe and fun.

Safe travels.

I've never done the Thrill Seekers so I can not comment there. However we did do Dunn River Falls and it was one of our favorite excursions.  While the ride was long, I really enjoyed it and getting to see more of Jamaica.  It helped that we had a really good bus driver who was super informative.  If you choose to do this excursion just realize that the water at the falls is COLD like really really COLD!  I would definitely not hesitate at booking this again for our family.