Can you see Glaciers from the ship?

Annicruise2014

This is hubby and my first Alaska cruise. Leaving Seattle and going to Juneau, Skagway, Endicott arm & Dawes Glacier, Victoria then disembarking in Vancouver We are going on Ovation in September. Been to the Caribbean several times.  Loved it. Decided to go cold this time? We are booked in a port side balcony cabin. Can you see glaciers from the ship?  Might be a dumb question?

Many cruise lines now use Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier in lieu of visiting Tracey Arm, which is frequently ice-bound. The other glacier viewing options (from ships) are Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and Prince William Sound.

In Juneau you can visit the Mendenhall Glacier, but it isn't visible from the ship. You have a number of tours to the glacier by helicopter,etc.. However, you can also take a bus or taxi to the visitor centre, which is about 12 miles from the dock. If you take the bus, the closest stop is over 1 mile from the visitor centre. At the visitor centre you can walk just over 1 mile to Nugget Falls for good views of the glacier.

On 12/28/2018 at 4:31 PM, Heidi13 said:

Many cruise lines now use Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier in lieu of visiting Tracey Arm, which is frequently ice-bound. The other glacier viewing options (from ships) are Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and Prince William Sound.

In Juneau you can visit the Mendenhall Glacier, but it isn't visible from the ship. You have a number of tours to the glacier by helicopter,etc.. However, you can also take a bus or taxi to the visitor centre, which is about 12 miles from the dock. If you take the bus, the closest stop is over 1 mile from the visitor centre. At the visitor centre you can walk just over 1 mile to Nugget Falls for good views of the glacier.

For  Mendenhall  there are 2 types of  buses.  (which is not noted above)   The city bus noted above  with pick up at the transportation center  in downtown Juneau   and shuttle buses,  with a couple companies that offer this.   Pick up is at the Mt Roberts Tram lot to the glacier visitor center area.    Walk up for both.  

On 12/28/2018 at 3:37 PM, Sunburg1 said:

The trip into Endicott arm is just to see glaciers, yes you will see them there at lest.

Sorry not always,  especially since this poster is sailing end of season.   Depending how late in Sept.   

A trip I was on last  year,  that transited Endicott Arm-  did NOT get to the Dawes Glacier.  

Thanks everyone.  We leave Sept 13 (I think) LOL.  I am on information overload and trying to not to give hubby too much info.  I am a planner and he hates it!!  I'll be the one with the thick binder walking the ship. I have seen others planning more than one excursion at a port.  Is this really doable?  I am an extreme planner down to the minute but always like to leave room for changes, breakdowns, issues etc.

9 hours ago, Annicruise2014 said:

Thanks everyone.  We leave Sept 13 (I think) p. I have seen others planning more than one excursion at a port.  Is this really doable?  I am an extreme planner down to the minute but always like to leave room for changes, breakdowns, issues etc.

Sure=    depends on the tours.    Do verify,  operation first-   a few tours will be shut down in your time frame.    IF you book independent-   ALWAYS,  fully disclose your ship and time in port-   go with their recommendations.    

On 12/28/2018 at 4:31 PM, Heidi13 said:

. . .However, you can also take a bus or taxi to the visitor centre, which is about 12 miles from the dock. If you take the bus, the closest stop is over 1 mile from the visitor centre. . . 

When we were in Juneau a few years ago, we docked at the foot of Mt. Roberts and there was an inexpensive school bus ride out to Mendenhall from there.  I can't remember if the bus waited for a few hours while we visited there or gave us a return time to meet him.  There's a shopping area at that dock area which includes an excursion "store," where one can buy tickets for this bus--it was quite reasonable.