Are there many (or any) Americans on the Asian cruises?

bex_disney

I am looking into the Asian cruises for future options that leave out of Japan and China. Both trips are on either the Majestic or the Sapphire, and I know that the latter has, what I am guessing is, Chinese writing on lots of the signs through the ship. So I guess they are expecting lots of locals to board these cruises. I am just wondering if there is a big number of Americans on the ship or even if it is still catered to a more American/English-speaking audience.

Sun Princess in the spring/summer of 2019 is sailing an Asia charter season where cruises (most of which are in China) can only be booked thru specific TAs in the region.

Majestic Princess is doing the same in spring/summer 2020.

All other Asia cruises (such as those available for booking on the Princess website) are open to everyone and will be as diverse as any other cruise in any other region.

Majestic Princess was built specifically for sailing that region--its name was chosen based on how it looked painted on the hull in Chinese characters. Diamond Princess underwent an extensive retrofit to add features that enhance Asia cruises such as a sushi restaurant and Japanese bath; Sapphire did not.

But as ships move throughout the oceans signs (temporary or otherwise) could be added in the various languages. I was on Golden Princess in Alaska this past May, which had just moved over from sailing a variety of Australia/South Pacific/Asia cruises. In my cabin bathroom there was a multi-lingual sign with at least two Asian languages besides English reminding ladies to use the disposal bags provided. If that hugely inconsequential bit of trivia is an issue for anyone, perhaps a cruise with the potential of an unknown number of fellow passengers speaking a language other than theirs may not be their cup of tea.

My husband and I are US citizens sailing on an upcoming cruise on the Majestic Princess.  Our cruise itinerary is Sydney to Hong Kong.  My impression is that many of the cruisers will be from Australia and that adjustments may have been made to the ship to make it more attractive to Australian cruisers.  Perhaps someone who has recently been on the Majestic could comment on any specific enhancements/adjustments made recently to the ship?  Personally, I am really looking forward to experiencing this ship and its unique features.  

We did 4 b2b cruises out of Yokohama on the Sapphire last year.  The longer the cruise, the higher the percentage of US, Canadian and Aussie passengers in general.  All info was available in English, announcements were made in several languages. On Sapphire, for cruises originating in Yokohama only fixed seating traditional dining was available. The dining rooms are set up based on language, so primarily English speaking passengers will find themselves with a waitstaff that speak English, while they tend to assign those who do speak Japanese to another dining room to better serve the Japanese passengers. We very much enjoyed our cruises on the Sapphire, it was interesting and fun. 

We have done cruises on Sapphire from Singapore (and another in Feb) and there is no Asian writing anywhere on her from my memory. The Majestic does based on what I have read.

The last cruise we did on the Sapphire from Singapore my recollection based on a Cruise Directors talk was there were 51 Nationalities. This consisted roughly of about 600 Poms, 500 Aussies, 500 Yanks, 100 Kiwis, with declining numbers after that. The cruise certainly catered to an English speaking group.

Sorry, I have just relooked at the OP and they refer to leaving from Japan or China so my post is not as relevant but I'll leave it in case others are considering Singapore departures.

Diamond Princess ~ depending on the "type" of cruise i.e. golden week had a lot of Japanese sailing but the Sakura sailing was a more even mix of passengers.  I can't speak for Chinese but yes to Australian.  The last cruise was our Sakura sailing and in addition to Australian accents and Russian heard throughout.

You will find in Asia that Americans will be in the minority and that the Asians, Australians, British and Europeans will outnumber the Americans. 

If it is Diamond Princess based in Japan then the Japanese will have the numbers, very few Chinese as they do not get on with Japanese.

Sun Princess is actually charted by JTB for what they are attempting to do a Japanese only World Cruise this year.

Based on previous numbers on Diamond Princess, Americans can be up to 400 passengers to no more than 600 on average. Australians are generally just over the 400 mark along with British.

Interestingly some of the Asian cruises are popular with people from Taiwan, depending how long that island stays independent is currently unknown. They are still technically Chinese speaking people but have a different government opposed to a communist dictatorship by their current despot in China.

Daughter and family just returned from Majestic (December30). Depending on which of the 6 you talk to the crew was friendly or the crew seemed disinterested.  there were a fair number of Chinese/Asian on board and again a mixed reaction. They were aware of some food differences but again it depended on who was telling the story 🙂

On 12/28/2018 at 5:11 PM, leck57 said:

We have done cruises on Sapphire from Singapore (and another in Feb) and there is no Asian writing anywhere on her from my memory. The Majestic does based on what I have read.

The last cruise we did on the Sapphire from Singapore my recollection based on a Cruise Directors talk was there were 51 Nationalities. This consisted roughly of about 600 Poms, 500 Aussies, 500 Yanks, 100 Kiwis, with declining numbers after that. The cruise certainly catered to an English speaking group.

Sorry, I have just relooked at the OP and they refer to leaving from Japan or China so my post is not as relevant but I'll leave it in case others are considering Singapore departures.

I was on the Sapphire after the refurb (March?) - I was on in June. There were some signs in Asian language.