Princess Insurance

sun&sea

2 minutes ago, sun&sea said:

When do you purchase Princess Travel Protection? When you book the cruise? At final payment? Or sometime in between?

Thanks,

Janet

We don't use cruise line insurance.  We prefer finding a 3rd party company, most of the time it costs less and covers more.

We typically purchase within 2 weeks of making a reservation, as many insurance companies require that for pre-existing conditions coverage.

6 minutes ago, sun&sea said:

When do you purchase Princess Travel Protection? When you book the cruise? At final payment? Or sometime in between?

Thanks,

Janet

We never get cruiseline insurance. The medical insurance is secondary insurance. It pays AFTER you file with your primary insurance. A simple, small claim this year using a group secondary policy for a non-cruise Trip took 7 months to resolve. 

I also find the medical coverage inadequate. There is an excellent insurance board on CC.

RB

13 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

We don't use cruise line insurance.  We prefer finding a 3rd party company, most of the time it costs less and covers more.

We typically purchase within 2 weeks of making a reservation, as many insurance companies require that for pre-existing conditions coverage.

We have always purchased third party insurance. This time, we booked so far out that it wasn't available when we booked. Also, my DH is 74, so it is getting pricey for private insurance. Thought we might try the Princess coverage as we are elite.

Janet

We purchase at final payment.  If you have pre-existing conditions you should purchase it when you book or shortly after.
We have been getting the Platinum Princess insurance.  I did have to use it when I had to cancel a cruise due to my daughter (who was traveling with me) having surgery the day we were suppossed to sail.  She had a different cheaper insurance because of her age.
I believe the medical aspect of the Princess insurance is primary if you are on Medicare since that doesn't cover us out of the country.  Luckily we haven't had to use it.

41 minutes ago, sun&sea said:

We have always purchased third party insurance. This time, we booked so far out that it wasn't available when we booked. Also, my DH is 74, so it is getting pricey for private insurance. Thought we might try the Princess coverage as we are elite.

Janet

We always use Princess insurance and purchase it at final payment.

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

We purchase at final payment.  If you have pre-existing conditions you should purchase it when you book or shortly after.
We have been getting the Platinum Princess insurance.  I did have to use it when I had to cancel a cruise due to my daughter (who was traveling with me) having surgery the day we were suppossed to sail.  She had a different cheaper insurance because of her age.
I believe the medical aspect of the Princess insurance is primary if you are on Medicare since that doesn't cover us out of the country.  Luckily we haven't had to use it.

I would check with Princess. I believe the Princess 

policies do not have a pre-existing illness waiver.

RB

16 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

I think that the Platinum does cover pre-existing, and the cancel for any reason for a credit does cover any reason....

No it doesn't. It has a 60 day look back period, regardless of insurance level.

10 hours ago, suzyed said:

Not sure what you mean by that? 

Princess's policy has a 60 day look back period. If you have a condition that has any change in 60 days before you buy insurance (not just add it to your booking but you have to pay for it), you will not be covered for that condition if it arises on the trip.

I book with a 3rd party company that covers pre-existing conditions.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Princess's policy has a 60 day look back period. If you have a condition that has any change in 60 days before you buy insurance (not just add it to your booking but you have to pay for it), you will not be covered for that condition if it arises on the trip.

I book with a 3rd party company that covers pre-existing conditions.

Yes, it does have the 60 day look back period and that is why some with pre-existing conditions buy and pay for it at booking so it will be covered.  My friend does this whenever she books.  
We don't have pre-existing conditions so we buy our Princess Platinum insurance when we make final payment. 
FYI, if you pay for your insurance at booking and then cancel the cruise (even if it is far enough in advance to do so), you lose the monies you paid for insurance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suzyed said:

Yes, it does have the 60 day look back period and that is why some with pre-existing conditions buy and pay for it at booking so it will be covered.  My friend does this whenever she books.  
We don't have pre-existing conditions so we buy our Princess Platinum insurance when we make final payment. 
FYI, if you pay for your insurance at booking and then cancel the cruise (even if it is far enough in advance to do so), you lose the monies you paid for insurance.

Though - if you develop pre-existing conditions before final payment - you are in a pickle as you may not be covered.

I don't buy Princess's insurance. It doesn't have good coverage. I buy a 3rd party coverage which covers pre-existing conditions when bought at final payment. And it has much better coverage. $20K coverage won't do much outside of the country if you do get sick.

8 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Yes, it does.

No - it doesn't cover pre-exiting conditions. It has a 60 day look back period. It would be awful to mis-lead individuals who do in fact have pre-existing conditions.

Edited by Coral

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

Though - if you develop pre-existing conditions before final payment - you are in a pickle as you may not be covered.

I don't buy Princess's insurance. It doesn't have good coverage. I buy a 3rd party coverage which covers pre-existing conditions when bought at final payment. And it has much better coverage. $20K coverage won't do much outside of the country if you do get sick.

Yes, the $20,000 limit is a concern.  I do like that the Princess plan has a cancel for any reason clause and I would get back 100% of my cruise cost in cruise credits.  Other plans charge extra for "cancel for any reason" and then usually only return 70-75%,   
Hey, it's a crap shoot either way you look at it and we each have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for ourselves.  
We have looked into the annual medical travel insurance and may consider it this year.

Edited by suzyed

20 minutes ago, Coral said:

No - it doesn't cover pre-exiting conditions. It has a 60 day look back period. It would be awful to mis-lead individuals who do in fact have pre-existing conditions.

Q: If I have a heart condition and am on continuing medication, am I protected if my heart condition flares up during my vacation? 
A: Yes! Princess Vacation Protection provides reimbursement for conditions that are stable during the 60-days prior to purchase, so if you have had no changes in your health (even if you are on continuous unchanged medication), you would be protected.

Q: What if my condition did change prior to purchasing Princess Vacation Protection? 
A: Rest assured, emergency evacuation benefits are still provided in the event of a medical emergency. Also, if you cancel your cruise vacation and do not qualify for cash reimbursement due to an unstable medical condition prior to purchase, you will have the benefit of cancel-for-any-reason protection from Princess.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

No it doesn't. It has a 60 day look back period, regardless of insurance level.

The look back period is to see if there was any change in your health, right?  If there was no change in your condition 60 days prior,  you are covered.

Edited by suzyed

31 minutes ago, suzyed said:

The look back period is to see if there was any change in your health, right?  If there was no change in your condition 60 days prior,  you are covered.

Correct. I take health seriously. I had a parent who was sick so I am aware of what medical bills are. I also know people who would be financially bankrupt if they only had the $20K Princess policy when they got sick abroad.

I think most of us can afford to lose the cost of the cruise (so cancel for any reason isn't a big deal), but not many of us can afford a serious injury abroad. $20K can be a day in a hospital with an emergency.

All it takes is a change/increase in medication for the Princess policy to be null and void. And believe me, insurance companies look at your past records to see if they can get out of paying.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Correct. I take health seriously. I had a parent who was sick so I am aware of what medical bills are. I also know people who would be financially bankrupt if they only had the $20K Princess policy when they got sick abroad.

I think most of us can afford to lose the cost of the cruise (so cancel for any reason isn't a big deal), but not many of us can afford a serious injury abroad. $20K can be a day in a hospital with an emergency.

All it takes is a change/increase in medication for the Princess policy to be null and void. And believe me, insurance companies look at your past records to see if they can get out of paying.

As a retired RN (for almost 40 years), I take health seriously as well.  So of course I get the insurance.  And yes, I agree that $20,000 medical coverage would probably not enough if there is a medical issue on vacation.  That is why I have been looking into additional annual medical insurance for travel.
But as far as pre-existing conditions, Princess is not the only one that has a 60 day "look back" period.....every other policy I have seen also had this and as a matter of fact I have even seen "look back" periods as long as 180 days...which would also cause them to null and void.
If you have found one that does not have a look back period, I would be interested in seeing it.

1 minute ago, suzyed said:

If you have found one that does not have a look back period, I would be interested in seeing it.

The travel agency I use has a policy with Allianz that covers pre-existing conditions when purchased at final payment. It was written for their company. So best of both worlds. I don't have to buy it at deposit and it has much better coverage than Princess's policy.

My insurance through work covers poorly outside of the US.

I know several who have been burned by Princess's poor coverage. Not taking a chance. I also buy Medjet Assist some years, depending on where I go.

33 minutes ago, Coral said:

The travel agency I use has a policy with Allianz that covers pre-existing conditions when purchased at final payment.

Would you please elaborate? Which specific Allianz policy does this?

I'm interested. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ep010835 said:

Would you please elaborate? Which specific Allianz policy does this?

I'm interested. 

It was written for a specific travel agency (large company with franchises). You must book with the agency to get this specific policy.

Edited by Coral

The following is a link to a previous discussion:

Also as someone recommended visit the cruise insurance board here on Cruise Critic for more info.

You will see lots of good information and soon realize that each of us has different insurance needs.  Do a search on GeoBlue if medical is what you need and you are under 80.  There is info on annual policies and med evac policies over there too.

• Like 1