Celebrity Edge Review - 12/23/-12/30

Marleycruiser

28 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Oh, they were directing people upstairs when I was there so maybe it was broken then as well. Is it similar to the accessible one in the Retreat Lounge? I almost had an embarrassing incident there when the door automatically opened - luckily it was before any activity had started. 🙂

Well VT between this event and the blinds opening unexpectedly...you had a revealing trip 🙂 

Just now, kearney said:

Well VT between this event and the blinds opening unexpectedly...you had a revealing trip 🙂 

Yes, some close calls! I think I've learned all the tricks for my next cruise:

1) Don't touch the curtains unless fully dressed!

2) Do hit the lock button in the Retreat Lounge bathroom, even if the door seems fully closed and secure.

3) Try not to fall into a glass wall!!!  🙂

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

Oh my...I guess someone needs to be outside the door, making sure it does not open unexpectantly.  Yet another mental note when using singular restrooms...no show and tell for me!

You will be smart enough to hit the lock button!  I missed it - I thought the door stayed shut until I pushed the button inside to open it. 🙂

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

You will be smart enough to hit the lock button!  I missed it - I thought the door stayed shut until I pushed the button inside to open it. 🙂

I hope so, VT, but I can do some silly things...my DH seems to remember most of them!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, kearney said:

I did like the Martini Bar. We tended to get their early, so seating wasn't an issue and neither was service. I was pleasantly surprised that we mostly heard live music and the chandelier 'show' with the louder taped music only seemed to occur at 6pm ... it was entertaining and then returned to live music. Now we did leave for dinner around 6:15, so if there were issues it happened later. This was our first use of a beverage package and I was happy that we could order basic cocktails without the premium. Another thing I liked was the seating... which was... with a few exceptions... easy to get in and out of... key for DH with bad knees. The thing I missed about the ship was the lack of Sky Lounge set up... living room type seating with only back ground music that essentially encouraged conversation with other passengers. I think the Martini Bar is great as it is... but another indoor location would be good. We only stuck our head in The Club. I wonder how full it gets and if that space (on futher ships) could work for that... it would have to be a bit more open to the flow of the ship. 

There is Eden which in many ways replaces the functions of the Sky Lounge. You have the Eden Bar for drinks and a lot of comfortable seating spread over two levels in that area. Not convenient of course if you plan on dining in Luminae before dinner but neither is the Martini Bar.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

There is Eden which in many ways replaces the functions of the Sky Lounge. You have the Eden Bar for drinks and a lot of comfortable seating spread over two levels in that area. Not convenient of course if you plan on dining in Luminae before dinner but neither is the Martini Bar.

Alas, DH uses a scooter... both knees are shot... so he either stays on the scooter or I have to find seating that works. There were a few seats near the bar.... but rest of seating too low and generally no arms. Gettin in not an issue... getting out is. The elevator did not work for a scooter... not enough room to maneuver between deck 6 and 5. He may be the only one with this challenge... although I can't tell you how many people we run into on Celebity with knee issues. I did like Eden... they had a nice female group... quite good.. and no attacking mimes when we were there

49 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, some close calls! I think I've learned all the tricks for my next cruise:

1) Don't touch the curtains unless fully dressed!

2) Do hit the lock button in the Retreat Lounge bathroom, even if the door seems fully closed and secure.

3) Try not to fall into a glass wall!!!  🙂

4) don't hit 'morning' scenes when pulling into port unless fully dressed

• Like 1

My reply is to the 3 to 4 x the cost for Crystal or Seabourn. Not true about 3 or 4 times the pricing!  We do Seabourn quite often. We just did a 14 day New England Canada.All inclusive except for excursions. The oceanview staterooms started at $5999

No charges for dining anywhere, all areas of ship open to everyone, only 450 people onboard. Any request not too much. If you wanted caviar just ask. Lobster just ask.

SO double the length of the Eden Caribbean, interesting ports Quebec, Montreal, Sydney, Halifax, Bar Harbor, Salem, Charleston and back to Miami. And have never failed to see a lowest guarantee get less than a veranda upgrade. So make that a pricing $3000 per person since it was twice as long, with an open balcony, all drinks included, fine dining, and personalized service. This is why we are not only loyal to one brand. It pays to do your research and see what is out there. You may be pleasantly surprised and often time travel agents can do even better. That same cruise, by the way, offered a $500 shipboard credit on basic suites and $1000 for PH which covered the excursions.

Edited by kkmiausa
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Oh, they were directing people upstairs when I was there so maybe it was broken then as well. Is it similar to the accessible one in the Retreat Lounge? I almost had an embarrassing incident there when the door automatically opened - luckily it was before any activity had started. 🙂

Though we weren’t allowed to see the bathroom in Luminae, I'm guessing the door must be the same “automatic” opening type because they said it was “broken”.

I appreciated the fact that X had put so much thought and planning into certain features of the Edge to try and stem the spread of illness, but was surprised at how easily some of that  technology (automated doors) could break so easily.

We were also on the 12/23 cruise. We are experienced cruisers and while we have a "go with the flow attitude" we still acknowledge any negative aspects.  We had a wonderful time on this beautiful ship.  The crew was outstanding and pleasant.  Always senior officers around to ask how things were going.  They seemed truly interested to see what was good and what needed improvement.  Felt very little crowding, if any.  No issues getting an elevator or with lines around the ship.  Booked again for next year!