Limited mobility

babe97

I've been to Grand Cayman several times but this time I'm taking my aunt and she can walk short distances, but uses a mobility scooter for longer distances. As I understand, we won't be able to bring her scooter onto the tender. So I'm looking for ideas of things to do that she'll be able to handle. We'll probably bring a folding wheelchair to get her from point A to point B, but she won't want to spend the day in it. Any suggestions?

What sorts of things are you thinking of doing?  Shopping is right off the tender port area.  Beaches may be difficult, since wheelchair (or scooters) don't work so hot in sand!  The shopping area is pretty flats and sidewalks abound....she may have no issues walking a bit around there.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:14 PM, cb at sea said:

What sorts of things are you thinking of doing?  Shopping is right off the tender port area.  Beaches may be difficult, since wheelchair (or scooters) don't work so hot in sand!  The shopping area is pretty flats and sidewalks abound....she may have no issues walking a bit around there.

We'd definitely like to get out of the shopping area. A beach would be great if we could find an area that doesn't take a lot of walking across sand to get to chairs or a table. Would love to take her to see the stingrays but I don't think she could get up and down a boat ladder in and out of the water.

10 minutes ago, babe97 said:

We'd definitely like to get out of the shopping area. A beach would be great if we could find an area that doesn't take a lot of walking across sand to get to chairs or a table. Would love to take her to see the stingrays but I don't think she could get up and down a boat ladder in and out of the water.

Between Calico Jacks/Public Beach and Royal Palms, the two usual beach day destinations, Royal Palms is IMO better for someone mobility challenged.

Take a taxi from the port, and ask for them to pull into the parking lot to let you out closer to the building rather than along the road.  (It’s a big parking lot.)  From there, it’s a relatively easy walk on sidewalk to the bar area, with a few steps (but they might have a ramp, I’ve never looked) and the bar patio has tables with umbrellas with no walking on sand required, and they look out to the beach.  As long as you’re ordering food/drinks, Aunt could stay at the table while others swim.  

Or, there are rental chairs/loungers fairly close to the stairs down to the beach if she could manage a few yards on sand.  There’s also rental cabanas but they’d be a bit more of a walk.

https://royalpalmscayman.com/

Edited by bookbabe

6 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Between Calico Jacks/Public Beach and Royal Palms, the two usual beach day destinations, Royal Palms is IMO better for someone mobility challenged.

Take a taxi from the port, and ask for them to pull into the parking lot to let you out closer to the building rather than along the road.  (It’s a big parking lot.)  From there, it’s a relatively easy walk on sidewalk to the bar area, with a few steps (but they might have a ramp, I’ve never looked) and the bar patio has tables with umbrellas with no walking on sand required, and they look out to the beach.  As long as you’re ordering food/drinks, Aunt could stay at the table while others swim.  

Or, there are rental chairs/loungers fairly close to the stairs down to the beach if she could manage a few yards on sand.  There’s also rental cabanas but they’d be a bit more of a walk.

https://royalpalmscayman.com/

That looks great! Thank you! 

if you get her on the tender and ashore

take her down to Guy Harvey's for lunch ... a few blocks from the tender landing with sidewalk all the way

she'll need to navigate steps to the second floor location but then there is a beautiful view of the port and great food

https://guyharveys.ky/

OR load her in a taxi and go to My Bar at Sunset House ... a long time staple of the CI culture ....

great food, great people ... taxi will drop you right at a ramp up (usually)

https://www.sunsethouse.com/island-info-my-bar-a-local-favorite

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to update this post for anyone with mobility issues or traveling with someone with mobility issues. When we got to Grand Cayman the seas were kind of rough. My aunt had decided to stay onboard because it was an early arrival time and she was tired and wanted to rest for the day. The rest of us went to Sunset House and snorkeled. Our second time there and they were just as friendly and the snorkeling was great! It was still early when we finished and I wanted to get back to the ship and get my aunt to shore for a bit of shopping and maybe a drink or 2. I got back on the tender and i couldn't believe how rough the water had gotten. Just standing on the tender to get back on the ship was difficult. I'm so glad we didn't take her to shore. I'm really afraid she would have fallen trying to get on and off the tender. So just something to keep in mind for those who have trouble walking.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 6:33 PM, babe97 said:

Would love to take her to see the stingrays but I don't think she could get up and down a boat ladder in and out of the water.

Book through Marineland tours, they have a very nice boat that is specially equipped for limited mobility.  Their website has pictures.  Very easy to get in and out, but also the staff will assist.  

Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar flyer 2018.jpg

• 3 weeks later...