Carnival to charge for all room service!

GROUCHPUSS

9 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

So here's the trend.  RCI's specialty burgers were free.  Now, there is a cover charge.  NCL charges for their Margaritaville burgers.  Sit down restaurants...I get it.  Not an exact comparison to Guys.  So here's another example.  HAL...A Carnival brand...has a free specialty burger stand on the lido similar to Guys.  It's called Dive-In.  Well guess what?  HAL added those burgers to their room service menu and is charging for them.  

So now you have 3 lines going down the road of adding charges to their specialty burgers one way or another.  That's a little different than hysterical posts about toilet paper, etc.  

So again, I hope you're right.  I hope CCL never charges for Guys.  However, I think it would be ignorant to convince oneself that it won't happen, especially when we all know the cruise lines mimic one another with things like this.   

Well, the HAL example is the most fair comparison on the subject, so they charge for the burgers on the Lido as well or just charge for the room service?

19 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

In the end it's all about money. The irony of it all is that the very complainers would rather have $100 rolled up into their fare instead of paying for $50 extra. Completely over-obsessed with individual charges. By far the most annoying topic about vacationing.

Out of all of the possibilities of how cruises could have increased in price through all of these years, I'm glad it went this way. Instead of me paying for everyone's gluttony, fares have stayed lower and I can choose what I want extra. There's no use talking any sense because people are obsessed with "all inclusive". It's like the health care debate, just in a less exciting topic. Nothing is free.

Absolutely correct! 

I wonder if the same people complaining about room service charges are the same ones who say the room doesn’t matter since they are only there to sleep?

This thread is entertaining, to say the least. 

For me personally, I wouldn’t book a cruise based on free room service. I don’t blame Carnival for adding the charges. Yeah, it does suck but if you consider how much people take advantage of “free” things onboard, I don’t blame them. It is embarrassing the waste that people make.

Carry on. Good reading, for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy4Camping said:

The reason for frustration is all the hype about cruises in the first place. " You can eat prime rib and lobster".  Nope just MAYBE on formal night.  "All drinks except alcoholic are included". Nope, not pop, water bottles, flavored coffee, etc.  "The cabins are just like a hotel room!" Nope-no frig, microwave, coffee maker, or iron.  The ship we are sailing on doesn't have "specialty" restaurants(at least as far as I've read on these forums)but who wants to pay extra to eat out when all the food is supposed to be included?  I guess I figured at least if I just want a sandwich not pizza late at night(since everything else closes)it would be free but now $4-$5 plus tip is just an extra expense.  I know we will have fun but NOTHING about this trip has been what was expected so far.  I truly hope that what  we end up doing on the islands works out but even that's hard to decide based on reviews!!   Either way I'm so excited!!

First off, I’m not sure where you heard that prime rib and lobster would be served on any night other than formal night. And just an FYI, you have to pay an up charge for lobster on NCL. Also, where did you get information that all drinks except alcohol were included? Because if your TA is telling you this, it’s time to find a new TA. And a smart cruiser is one who researches everything ahead of time. There is plenty of videos on YouTube about different ships. Watch them. And a cabin is DEFINITELY not anything like a hotel room. Once again, research prior to booking and cruising would have told you this. Plenty of pics of your cabin are available on the Carnival website, and videos available on YouTube of tours of different cabin styles. Research, again. Irons have never been allowed, as it is a fire hazard. Carnival has self assist laundry areas. RCCL and NCL do not. You have to pay to have that service done on them. As for specialty restaurants, most Carnival ships have a steakhouse and Italian Restaurant. Many ships have more than that. Research before choosing and booking helps. All in all, Cruising is a fabulous value for your vacation dollar. And Carnival still maintains the best price point. I’ve sailed Carnival, RCCL, and NCL. Let me assure you, that Carnival does the LEAST amount of nickel and dime charges over the other lines. If you purchase the Cheers plan—if you are a moderate to big drinker—it is by far the best package over the other two cruise lines. It is the only one that includes soda, bottled water, specialty coffee, and milkshakes. NCL’s only includes alcohol and soda, and is the most expensive of the three. I also think RCCL’s is only alcohol and soda. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong on RCCL’s package). I am sorry that there aren’t more late, late night offerings on Carnival. But RCCL has even worse late night offerings. NCL is the winner in that department, with their 24 hour fully complimentary sit down restaurant called O’Sheehans. (BTW—NCL also leads the way with the most and best specialty restaurants onboard). So, rest assured. You are getting your money’s worth. And for your next cruise, do your research. 

On 1/2/2019 at 6:32 AM, Aplmac said:

I'd have to be deathly ill to use Room Service, honestly.

I hate seeing waste and trays out in the hallways!

Sometimes it sits there for hours, looking awful.

The thing is, this cannot be directly related to having free room service. The fault lies with Carnival not picking it up. There are CONSTANTLY employees up and down the halls that could easily pick it up. If it's sitting around longer than it used to, that would be more attributed to staffing cutbacks that don't allow them enough people to make rounds and pick up trays. I do realize that they cannot have someone to pick up trays every minute of every day. With that said, if you think charging for room service is going to create an environment where you will never see a tray in the hall, that is not going to happen. And since there is no correlation between free or paid room service and the amount of time a tray sits in the hallway without being picked up, you will still see the trays that are out there, sit for hours. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

In the end it's all about money. The irony of it all is that the very complainers would rather have $100 rolled up into their fare instead of paying for $50 extra. Completely over-obsessed with individual charges. By far the most annoying topic about vacationing.

Out of all of the possibilities of how cruises could have increased in price through all of these years, I'm glad it went this way. Instead of me paying for everyone's gluttony, fares have stayed lower and I can choose what I want extra. There's no use talking any sense because people are obsessed with "all inclusive". It's like the health care debate, just in a less exciting topic. Nothing is free.

Not everybody. Some of us just want we paid for. Until 1/1/19 we all thought this was part of the deal. If this had been rolled out 75 days after the announcement then people who had not paid in full would be able to cut their losses and find other alternatives, if they desired. 

I know that any cruise I book from here forward, room service is not included in that deal. And honestly I'm good with that. When ever I book a vacation I look at all of my alternatives and book what gives me the value I want for my money at the time. I also know that when I book far in advance things will change. I expect things to change. But I also expect to have the opportunity to lock in the old price or be free to change my plans with out penalty for something I had no power over.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2019 at 11:41 AM, sanmarcosman said:

Next there'll be al a carte pricing for fun on Carnival. You get caught laughing at the comedy club and they'll ask for your sail and sign card. 

Lol. Speaking of the comedy club. I would not be surprised if that's next. I can see them getting sick of listening to complaints about people not being able to get into the shows due to overcrowding, and they'll start charging like $5 a seat. 

• Like 2

Part of it is about changing what's included (not "free" - the food was never free, I had just already paid for it with my fare).  Part of it is about the cost - $4 for a PB&J?  Seriously?  $2 for a small cup of iced tea?  That's ridiculous.  And if it's REALLY about cutting waste and not the revenue, then all of those 'charges' should be going to the staff, not to corporate - there should certainly not be an expectation to tip the delivery person, that should be included in the fee.  Then there's the quality.  If I order a sandwich and fries that are meant to be hot I expect it will be hot - not cold and/or soggy.  If it is, then it's going back to be replaced and I'll expect the charge to be removed and the server will certainly not be getting a tip - just like at any hotel where I order room service.  I also expect that if I'm ordering room service someone will answer my call within  a few rings and my food will arrive promptly - not in and hour or more.  Just like at a hotel.  If they're going to compare this to land-based fees for room service, then I expect land-based service and responsive customer service when things are not as ordered or expected. 

Somehow, I don't think that's going to be the case.  Maybe they'll prove me wrong.  We'll see.

• Like 5

Oh, and for those that say it's a good thing because they don't use room service and shouldn't have to pay a higher fare for others that do?  Great!!  I have no kids and don't use anything involved with the children's programs - those should be for-fee as well.  I shouldn't have to pay for camp counselors or separate spaces and if people want to take their kiddos to the splash zone or that sort of thing, they should have to pay for the experience separately - why am I charged for that?

Same "logic" (sic).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

Maybe they'll prove me wrong.  We'll see.

They won’t and you’ll be back here letting us all know you’re never sailing Carnival again.  Book it. 

Edited by fuddrules

51 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

First off, I’m not sure where you heard that prime rib and lobster would be served on any night other than formal night. And just an FYI, you have to pay an up charge for lobster on NCL. Also, where did you get information that all drinks except alcohol were included? Because if your TA is telling you this, it’s time to find a new TA. And a smart cruiser is one who researches everything ahead of time. There is plenty of videos on YouTube about different ships. Watch them. And a cabin is DEFINITELY not anything like a hotel room. Once again, research prior to booking and cruising would have told you this. Plenty of pics of your cabin are available on the Carnival website, and videos available on YouTube of tours of different cabin styles. Research, again. Irons have never been allowed, as it is a fire hazard. Carnival has self assist laundry areas. RCCL and NCL do not. You have to pay to have that service done on them. As for specialty restaurants, most Carnival ships have a steakhouse and Italian Restaurant. Many ships have more than that. Research before choosing and booking helps. All in all, Cruising is a fabulous value for your vacation dollar. And Carnival still maintains the best price point. I’ve sailed Carnival, RCCL, and NCL. Let me assure you, that Carnival does the LEAST amount of nickel and dime charges over the other lines. If you purchase the Cheers plan—if you are a moderate to big drinker—it is by far the best package over the other two cruise lines. It is the only one that includes soda, bottled water, specialty coffee, and milkshakes. NCL’s only includes alcohol and soda, and is the most expensive of the three. I also think RCCL’s is only alcohol and soda. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong on RCCL’s package). I am sorry that there aren’t more late, late night offerings on Carnival. But RCCL has even worse late night offerings. NCL is the winner in that department, with their 24 hour fully complimentary sit down restaurant called O’Sheehans. (BTW—NCL also leads the way with the most and best specialty restaurants onboard). So, rest assured. You are getting your money’s worth. And for your next cruise, do your research. 

For Royal, that is not correct.  It includes everything, and is usually much cheaper than carnival, has no drink limit per day, and can be purchased by one in the room (not all need it).  We purchased it this year and last year on RCI and it was $38 and $44 as opposed to $53, so we will not be purchasing it on Carnival.  Never been on NCL, so cannot comment on that.

Edited by rukkian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rukkian said:

For Royal, that is not correct.  It includes everything, and is usually much cheaper than carnival, has no drink limit per day, and can be purchased by one in the room (not all need it).  We purchased it this year and last year on RCI and it was $38 and $44 as opposed to $53, so we will not be purchasing it on Carnival.  Never been on NCL, so cannot comment on that.

Thank you for correcting me on RCCL drink package. I wasn’t sure as we never purchased theirs, but I was aware, and failed to mention, that only one person needed to purchase. As for NCL, it is much more money. I think about $80+, but with their free perks offered, most people choose the drink package as their free perk, and just pay the gratuities on it, which is $18-20 per day per person. I can’t imagine anyone paying that full price for a package that only includes alcohol and soda. As a very light drinker, we never purchase a package, because our 3 drinks each per day wouldn’t be worth it.

10 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

They won’t and you’ll be back here letting us all know you’re never sailing Carnival again.  Book it. 

I'm only sailing carnival THIS time because the fare was free - I won a 9-night cruise through the chartering company I use. Otherwise I had zero intention of ever sailing Carnival again based on our LAST experience with them and their lack of service.  But I'm not going to give up a free 9-night adults-only cruise, even if it's on a line that I don't necessarily like. 

20 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

8 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

I'm only sailing carnival THIS time because the fare was free - I won a 9-night cruise through the chartering company I use. Otherwise I had zero intention of ever sailing Carnival again 

See, that didn’t take long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is EXTREMELY disappointing for me. One of the things I've loved about cruising is the room service, especially now that they don't allow smoking on balconies so we're booking more balconies. We'd come back from shore, my DH would head up to the buffet (yuck...I hate buffets), while I would order a BLT and a couple of juices from room service and relax on our balcony. (AHHHHH). 

Remember the mother on "A Christmas Story" where her son said she hadn't eaten a hot meal in 10 years? Well, that's a little extreme, but being a wife and mother and essentially being the one doing stuff for everyone, cruising is the one place where I can REALLY relax because of hot tubs, not having to clean/make beds ….. and …. ROOM SERVICE!!!!

Oh, well. I might still use room service even though a charge for it will sorely rankle my thrifty soul. But if I'm paying for it, tips will be smaller. 

I just thought of a plus to their new, stupid, misguided policy. Why book and pay for a balcony if I'm having to bring food down from the buffet or pay extra to enjoy it on the balcony. Maybe I'll just go back to getting an outside (window) cabin …. or even an INSIDE cabin.  How do you like THAT, Carnival??!!! (I know. They don't care. I was just venting.)

• Like 3

It was nice on our last cruise when our 10 year old was sick and we order room service instead of have to go get him food at buffet whe he didn’t feel like going to dinner. Room service was one the things that was listed as include in every room on carnival booking site. We have a cruise book in March 2019. This may be our last with carnival I feel like they are coping the airlines and having a fee for everything. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CaneDawg said:

I will still order wings at 2 am! they are surprisingly really good.

Its going to probably hurt the servers, instead of a $5 tip, they will get $2

Cutbacks always trickle down unfortunately

Why would you tip less?  If $4 is going to keep you from cruising, you need to rethinking your priorities

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

I'm only sailing carnival THIS time because the fare was free - I won a 9-night cruise through the chartering company I use. Otherwise I had zero intention of ever sailing Carnival again based on our LAST experience with them and their lack of service.  But I'm not going to give up a free 9-night adults-only cruise, even if it's on a line that I don't necessarily like. 

you should have sold it and went on a trip you would like

• Like 1

I guess I just don’t get why everyone is losing their mind over this! I mean, really?? It will ruin your cruise if you have to pay for room service when there is plenty of food up on deck? As far as late night, there has been a charge for food for quite some time, and that’s the only time I could see ordering anything, other than some coffee in morning, because there really isn’t anything besides pizza 24 hours. But this is an expected change. With every cruise line around Carnival charging for room service, it was a given that they would soon follow. I don’t see it as anything to cancel your cruise over, or change to another cruise line (which will also charge you for room service) Get a grip everyone. 

On 1/1/2019 at 11:10 AM, Jeni99 said:

Again I said that I probably would not, but I am saying that there WILL be many that will reduce or not tip the couple dollars. Which is not fair to the servers, which are already working at a slaves pay and counting on the tips. But if they are going to charge for the service, than they can use that money to pay the servers? 

Chefs, Kitchen Stewards, and Steward Assistants

"Cruise ship chefs can expect salaries commensurate with fine hotels. Chefs, stewards and assistants all fall under the Hotel Department. They report to the Hotel Director. Kitchen staff receives between $44,830 and $52,440 per year."

That pay is very high from some countries they are from. If pay was what you called it they are not forced to work there. There is a good reason why they work there , they send that money home to their families as they cannot make near that amount where some I said some live. Yes they work long hours, listen to disgruntled plats and diamonds(just a joke). But it is worth it to them.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 10:00 AM, Bookbug53 said:

Bottom line: less food in the halls, fewer dishes lining the halls, substantial reduction in wasted food, people might move more (exercise) if they have to fetch from Lido for themselves, still free breakfast when I want it, and paying $2-$5 dollars for someone to bring me something when I don't want to do the aforementioned moving is a drop in the bucket. And yes, I will still tip for the service the person is giving me.

This charge is a direct result of passengers' habits of waste. I can still find plenty of included food throughout the ship. Not going to go hungry.

And I will keep cruising. 🙂

First off, some like me exercise enough at home and eat healthy most times but do enjoy what you or others would call unhealthy foods. I am in perfect health. I choose to let loose on cruises and eating and exercise are last on my mind, although I end up walking a lot since I never use the elevators and walk a lot off the ship at a port. It's none of mu business what someone eats or if they are exercising. I'm pretty inclusive and open minded, I have met many overweight people on cruises who I have become very good friends with, it's not my right to judge them based on weight. If they want to exercise is none of my business nor do I care. Now as far as the waste,

"It’s estimated that food waste on cruise ships can sometimes be as high as 30%, so large ships have had to adapt and become creative in food waste management practices. Fortunately, global laws governing cruise ship waste disposal impose heavy fines for negligence, and governments enforce best practices for safe disposal of food waste. While at sea, food waste is stored and sorted separately from non-perishable materials. Most of this waste is then pulverised or pureed into fish food. The disposal can only take place while at sea and well away from coastlines or sensitive marine environments."

"Cruise ship companies are taking environmental awareness a step further, with many lines addressing food waste issues in tandem with onshore industries. For example, by utilizing an on board “food cycler” organic food waste can be reduced, cleaned and sterilized to become a high grade soil amendment or fertilizer. Food recycling into fertilizer is favored by progressive hospitals, military bases and hotel resorts, making it a perfect fit with the equally populous cruise ship industry."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

Oh, and for those that say it's a good thing because they don't use room service and shouldn't have to pay a higher fare for others that do?  Great!!  I have no kids and don't use anything involved with the children's programs - those should be for-fee as well.  I shouldn't have to pay for camp counselors or separate spaces and if people want to take their kiddos to the splash zone or that sort of thing, they should have to pay for the experience separately - why am I charged for that?

Same "logic" (sic).

Right 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Not everybody. Some of us just want we paid for. Until 1/1/19 we all thought this was part of the deal. If this had been rolled out 75 days after the announcement then people who had not paid in full would be able to cut their losses and find other alternatives, if they desired. 

I know that any cruise I book from here forward, room service is not included in that deal. And honestly I'm good with that. When ever I book a vacation I look at all of my alternatives and book what gives me the value I want for my money at the time. I also know that when I book far in advance things will change. I expect things to change. But I also expect to have the opportunity to lock in the old price or be free to change my plans with out penalty for something I had no power over.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx

There you go. There's a way to cut your losses when you get on the boat and your vacation is ruined by this.

Seriously? The value for your money argument? If the fare went up $50, you wouldn't bat an eye. If you spend $50 in room service, it's the end of the world. 

Prices are always going to go up. In the vacation world, look at your bottom-line price. Don't worry about the individual charges. The fact of the matter is the competition is doing it too. In general, Carnival still offers the lowest price.