Cove balcony

hdavidson

OH Yes !  There more enclosed than the regular balcony.  Our only problem is every time we try to enjoy ours the smoking and pot smoker neighbors run us off .

Before some one states "call security " ! It's a waste of time.

Edited by BoDidly
Additional info

Love cove balconies.  They are enclosed somewhat, but so close to the water.  I don’t want to sit in the sun on a balcony and most of the time it is shaded.  I have been on Magic, breeze, and dream (all at least twice), and I have never had anyone smoking and bothering me.

Be wary of the time of year and itinerary - Had a cove balcony on a transatlantic in early spring - IF the weather gets bad, the crew will be obliged to secure the 'weather doors,' which are large, ugly steel plates that seal off your balcony.  (Remember, it's as close to the water line as the ship safety oversight people would allow.) 

Aside from the obvious (you no longer have a balcony cabin), these steel doors only have 2 "dogs" - a nautical term for the clasps that fasten the doors shut. (In my years on Navy ships, a door like that would have EIGHT dogs) They aren't really water-tight; and because they aren't firmly clasped, the metal-on-metal squeaking can be horrendous. We couldn't sleep and wound up begging to move to an inside cabin (which they had) where at least it was reasonably quiet.

I love the cove balcony!  Have been in 2258 twice on the Breeze and booked the same room on the Magic in March.  I'd prefer it to a normal balcony any day of the week.  On some ports, depending on what side the ship docs - it's always fun watching the last few drunk people run and try to board on time!

On 1/2/2019 at 11:27 AM, MauiWowie57 said:

Be wary of the time of year and itinerary - Had a cove balcony on a transatlantic in early spring - IF the weather gets bad, the crew will be obliged to secure the 'weather doors,' which are large, ugly steel plates that seal off your balcony.  (Remember, it's as close to the water line as the ship safety oversight people would allow.) 

I can't imagine how bad the weather must get in order for them to shut these doors. Back in May we sailed back through Tropical Storm Alberto and let me tell you, the waves were pretty intense. Never once did they shut any of the cove balcony steel doors. We were sitting on our balcony at night watching the high waves and watching the ship cut through them. It was pretty intense and very fun! 

I suppose if you're sailing through an actual hurricane they may close them. I know a tropical storm wasn't enough to make it happen though.

I know I sound crazy and I may be, but, I will never sail in a cove balcony.  Aside from being closed in and not open like a regular balcony, the fact the cabin is so close to the water makes me nauseous.

It appears to me the lower on the ship I am, the faster the ocean seems to be moving.  I am fine on the Lido or even on deck 8, but looking out the window or being out on deck on low deck cabins makes it seem as though the water is so fast moving that I feel sick.

Love, love, love coves! They are my favorite balcony types. Yes, you will feel less wind on a cove balcony. 

As as far as having the storm doors shut, we sailed in the gulf when hurricane Patricia was hitting Mexico (really rough seas) and more recently we sailed through tropical storm Michael. Neither times did the storm doors get closed. I don’t think that happens very often, and even if it does, you wouldn’t want to be out on any balcony during that type of weather anyway. 

On 12/31/2018 at 11:35 PM, peymas said:

Love cove balconies.  They are enclosed somewhat, but so close to the water.  I don’t want to sit in the sun on a balcony and most of the time it is shaded.  I have been on Magic, breeze, and dream (all at least twice), and I have never had anyone smoking and bothering me.

me either. i did it on magic and LOVED it!! i'll never go back to a higher balcony. 

OMG!! I would get a cove balcony all the time if I could afford it. I have Never had issues with smoking at all. I guess some people are more sensitive to smoke than others and thats ok. I love being close to the water its fantastic. this year I have 2 cruises book on the Magic and in the same cove balcony!! can' wait but I will because I enjoy the spring and summer so I hate to rush my seasons

On 12/31/2018 at 11:35 PM, peymas said:

...and I have never had anyone smoking and bothering me.

54 minutes ago, seventhwardhustler said:

me either. i did it on magic and LOVED it!! i'll never go back to a higher balcony. 

7 minutes ago, madge57 said:

OMG!! I would get a cove balcony all the time if I could afford it. I have Never had issues with smoking at all. 

I think if you book a cove balcony relatively far forward, you will minimize/eliminate any chance of smoke bothering you - if you are in the most forward cove balcony, there is nothing forward of you on that deck for smoking from passengers, and the decks below won't have balconies, and the ones above are usually far enough away that smoke can't waft down to you.  

The only source of smoke might be from a crew rest area on one of the lower forward decks.

13 hours ago, madge57 said:

OMG!! I would get a cove balcony all the time if I could afford it. I have Never had issues with smoking at all. I guess some people are more sensitive to smoke than others and thats ok. I love being close to the water its fantastic. this year I have 2 cruises book on the Magic and in the same cove balcony!! can' wait but I will because I enjoy the spring and summer so I hate to rush my seasons

13 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think if you book a cove balcony relatively far forward, you will minimize/eliminate any chance of smoke bothering you - if you are in the most forward cove balcony, there is nothing forward of you on that deck for smoking from passengers, and the decks below won't have balconies, and the ones above are usually far enough away that smoke can't waft down to you.  

The only source of smoke might be from a crew rest area on one of the lower forward decks.

No smoking on Carnival balconies.

Edited by BlerkOne